370DLE / 2.CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 9, 2004 4:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I have here an old 370DLE Board, wich works fine since 3 years (only
with one CPU P3/1.0 GHz). Now I would upgrade this board with a second
CPU (same type like the first CPU). But always after power-on, i hear a
long beep-tone for ca. 2-3 seconds and the system hang. When I put one
CPU off (cpu1 or cpu2), the system works fine again. With booth cpu's, I
hear only the long beep. What can i do ? The BIOS is updatet.

Stefan

P.S.: Sorry for my plain english

More about : 370dle cpu

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2004 10:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I have SM's P3TDDE Mobo running two P3 Tualatin processors. I have never
heard of the problem you're having. I would e-mail SuperMicro Support at:
support@supermicro.com . They have been able to answer all my questions
before.

DR
September 11, 2004 4:53:58 PM

DER@Southbeach.net wrote:
> I have SM's P3TDDE Mobo running two P3 Tualatin processors. I have never
> heard of the problem you're having. I would e-mail SuperMicro Support at:
> support@supermicro.com . They have been able to answer all my questions
> before.
>
> DR

Thanx for the tip, yes, I've got a answer. My problem is, that booth
CPU's have two different steppings :-( . Now I'm searching a second CPU
with the same SL-stepping.

Stefan
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:18:56 PM

Stefan wrote:

> Thanx for the tip, yes, I've got a answer. My problem is, that booth
> CPU's have two different steppings :-( . Now I'm searching a second CPU
> with the same SL-stepping.

I have a mainboard for trash !

Now i have two CPU's: same stepping, same voltage, same FSB, same
Frequenz.... and it doesn't work.

At the next step, i open my window.......

Stefan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

In article <cibpag$k7i$00$1@news.t-online.com>, no_email@email.net says...
> Stefan wrote:
>
> > Thanx for the tip, yes, I've got a answer. My problem is, that booth
> > CPU's have two different steppings :-( . Now I'm searching a second CPU
> > with the same SL-stepping.
> >
> I have a mainboard for trash !
>
> Now i have two CPU's: same stepping, same voltage, same FSB, same
> Frequenz.... and it doesn't work.
>
> At the next step, i open my window.......

If they are the Tualatin CPUs they need to be the (expensive) ones with 512K
cache. I think that this is something configured into the CPU by Intel that
defines if the CPU will work MP or not. This is actually documented in the manual
and on the web site under "requirements"

The older 256K CPUs do work fine in this board. I happen to have two at 733 MHz on
the same motherboard, and it came up without problem.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 9:39:56 PM

George Pontis wrote:

> If they are the Tualatin CPUs they need to be the (expensive) ones with 512K
> cache. I think that this is something configured into the CPU by Intel that
> defines if the CPU will work MP or not. This is actually documented in the manual
> and on the web site under "requirements"
>
> The older 256K CPUs do work fine in this board. I happen to have two at 733 MHz on
> the same motherboard, and it came up without problem.

no, I have two older CPU's. Pentium 3, 1000 MHz, 256 KB Cache, 133 MHz
FSB and booth are SL4C8, 1.7 V. The System came up with a very loooooong
beep. The BIOS display also two CPU's and no error messages. After 30 or
40 seconds the systems hang and I could only power-off.

When I remove one of the two CPU's, the system works correctly again. It
does not matter which CPU is removed.

I'm crazy

Stefan
!