USB won't boot, but will install

I recently did a fresh re-install of XP Home. Everything is working fine
with one weird, annoying exception.

Nothing connected to a USB port is recognized on start-up. This includes a
Belkin USB 2.0 hub, an HP scanner, a Maxtor external drive, and an external
card reader, and a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.

Once XP is up and running, though, if I disconnect and reconnect any USB
device, the device is automatically recognized and functions normally.

How can I make everything work after startup without having to
unplug/reconnect all of my USB devices?

Thanks in advance for any advice............ molega
--
molega
3 answers Last reply

    Is that Belkin Hub a Powered one?
    "molega" <molega@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently did a fresh re-install of XP Home. Everything is working fine
    > with one weird, annoying exception.
    >
    > Nothing connected to a USB port is recognized on start-up. This includes
    > Belkin USB 2.0 hub, an HP scanner, a Maxtor external drive, and an
    > external
    > card reader, and a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.
    >
    > Once XP is up and running, though, if I disconnect and reconnect any USB
    > device, the device is automatically recognized and functions normally.
    >
    > How can I make everything work after startup without having to
    > unplug/reconnect all of my USB devices?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice............ molega
    > --
    > molega

    Yes, its a powered hub.

    The problem persists even if I isolate the external devices. For example,
    if I boot the computer with only the Maxtor One Touch external HD, the drive
    is not recognized on startup. However, if I remove the USB connector from
    the mb port (any port, 1.0, 2.0, front or back) the drive is intantly
    recognized and is completely functional. Same for all other USB devices,
    including the Belkin hub.

    Any thoughts?
    --
    molega

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Is that Belkin Hub a Powered one?
    > "molega" <molega@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently did a fresh re-install of XP Home. Everything is working fine
    > > with one weird, annoying exception.
    > >
    > > Nothing connected to a USB port is recognized on start-up. This includes
    > > Belkin USB 2.0 hub, an HP scanner, a Maxtor external drive, and an
    > > external
    > > card reader, and a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.
    > >
    > > Once XP is up and running, though, if I disconnect and reconnect any USB
    > > device, the device is automatically recognized and functions normally.
    > >
    > > How can I make everything work after startup without having to
    > > unplug/reconnect all of my USB devices?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice............ molega
    > > --
    > > molega

    Molega, if you havent already reinstalled SP2 then try that. Disconnect
    all your USB devices. Rt click on MyComputer>select
    Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>USB
    Controllers>rt click on each one and select Uninstall. Restart and let WinXP
    reinstall them. Reconnect all USB Devices.
    "molega" <molega@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently did a fresh re-install of XP Home. Everything is working fine
    > with one weird, annoying exception.
    >
    > Nothing connected to a USB port is recognized on start-up. This includes
    > Belkin USB 2.0 hub, an HP scanner, a Maxtor external drive, and an
    > external
    > card reader, and a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.
    >
    > Once XP is up and running, though, if I disconnect and reconnect any USB
    > device, the device is automatically recognized and functions normally.
    >
    > How can I make everything work after startup without having to
    > unplug/reconnect all of my USB devices?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice............ molega
    > --
    > molega

USB Microsoft Windows XP