Found New Hardware Message - very odd

June 4, 2005 1:57:22 PM

No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can help!

For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes to my
desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself. At
this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.

At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an iPod);
then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession, with the
other attempting to install software for 'Application Management'. If I hit
cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official Microsoft ones
and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com) simply go
away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes shortly before
the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after. This also
wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows is trying to
install software for.

I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show up
anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?

Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in advance!
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:23:01 PM

I'm having the same problem except it tries to install drivers for my Maxtor
6L040J2, the drive is recognized and shows to be working properly in device
manager and disk management.
I have searched the manufacturer's support site and it indicates that there
are no drivers for ATA hard drives.
I have two hard drives in my computer, this one is the first ATA drive
installed.
I can't get rid of this message when windows starts.
I have done the virus scanning and adware removeal, also defrag.

"Poor Tom" wrote:

> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can help!
>
> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes to my
> desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself. At
> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>
> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an iPod);
> then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession, with the
> other attempting to install software for 'Application Management'. If I hit
> cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official Microsoft ones
> and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com) simply go
> away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes shortly before
> the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after. This also
> wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows is trying to
> install software for.
>
> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show up
> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>
> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in advance!

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:54:34 PM

Do you mean it is a SATA hard drive?.... the SATA drivers come from the
motherboard manufacturer, not the hard drive manufacturer.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 4AB5229-86FF-4363-AE58-C80BB36DEBA1@microsoft.com...
> I'm having the same problem except it tries to install drivers for my
> Maxtor
> 6L040J2, the drive is recognized and shows to be working properly in
> device
> manager and disk management.
> I have searched the manufacturer's support site and it indicates that
> there
> are no drivers for ATA hard drives.
> I have two hard drives in my computer, this one is the first ATA drive
> installed.
> I can't get rid of this message when windows starts.
> I have done the virus scanning and adware removeal, also defrag.

June 4, 2005 2:55:34 PM

Go into the Control Panel, Admin Tools, click on Services, find the iPod
Service, click on it and change it to disable.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Poor Tom" <nospamplease@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can
> help!
>
> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes to
> my desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself. At
> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>
> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an
> iPod); then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession, with
> the other attempting to install software for 'Application Management'. If
> I hit cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official Microsoft
> ones and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com) simply
> go away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes shortly
> before the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after.
> This also wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows
> is trying to install software for.
>
> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show up
> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>
> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in advance!

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:44:38 PM

Cari,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the iPod Service isn't listed under
Services in Admin Tools. 'Application Management', which also tries to
install itself at start-up, is in that list but is already stopped.

Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? Thank you in advance!

> Go into the Control Panel, Admin Tools, click on Services, find the iPod
> Service, click on it and change it to disable.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Poor Tom" <nospamplease@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can
>> help!
>>
>> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes to
>> my desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
>> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
>> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
>> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself. At
>> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>>
>> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an
>> iPod); then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession,
>> with the other attempting to install software for 'Application
>> Management'. If I hit cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like
>> official Microsoft ones and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on
>> microsoft.com) simply go away. I should add at this point that I had
>> installed iTunes shortly before the messages started to appear but
>> uninstalled it shortly after. This also wouldn't explain the 'Application
>> Management' hardware Windows is trying to install software for.
>>
>> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show up
>> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>>
>> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in
>> advance!

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:44:39 PM

Is it listed in Start, Programs, Startup?

Also try: Start, Run (type) msconfig (enter) and look in the Startup tab
listing there. If it's there, uncheck it, click on Apply and Rebot.
--

> Cari,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the iPod Service isn't listed under
> Services in Admin Tools. 'Application Management', which also tries to
> install itself at start-up, is in that list but is already stopped.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? Thank you in advance!
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Go into the Control Panel, Admin Tools, click on Services, find the iPod
>> Service, click on it and change it to disable.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Poor Tom" <nospamplease@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can
>>> help!
>>>
>>> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes
>>> to my desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
>>> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
>>> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
>>> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself.
>>> At this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>>>
>>> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an
>>> iPod); then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession,
>>> with the other attempting to install software for 'Application
>>> Management'. If I hit cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like
>>> official Microsoft ones and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on
>>> microsoft.com) simply go away. I should add at this point that I had
>>> installed iTunes shortly before the messages started to appear but
>>> uninstalled it shortly after. This also wouldn't explain the
>>> 'Application Management' hardware Windows is trying to install software
>>> for.
>>>
>>> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show up
>>> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>>>
>>> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in
>>> advance!

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:50:01 PM

It's an IDE hard drive.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you mean it is a SATA hard drive?.... the SATA drivers come from the
> motherboard manufacturer, not the hard drive manufacturer.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4AB5229-86FF-4363-AE58-C80BB36DEBA1@microsoft.com...
> > I'm having the same problem except it tries to install drivers for my
> > Maxtor
> > 6L040J2, the drive is recognized and shows to be working properly in
> > device
> > manager and disk management.
> > I have searched the manufacturer's support site and it indicates that
> > there
> > are no drivers for ATA hard drives.
> > I have two hard drives in my computer, this one is the first ATA drive
> > installed.
> > I can't get rid of this message when windows starts.
> > I have done the virus scanning and adware removeal, also defrag.

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:39:14 PM

What is the exact text of the error message? When precisely does it appear?
--

> It's an IDE hard drive.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean it is a SATA hard drive?.... the SATA drivers come from the
>> motherboard manufacturer, not the hard drive manufacturer.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 4AB5229-86FF-4363-AE58-C80BB36DEBA1@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm having the same problem except it tries to install drivers for my
>> > Maxtor
>> > 6L040J2, the drive is recognized and shows to be working properly in
>> > device
>> > manager and disk management.
>> > I have searched the manufacturer's support site and it indicates that
>> > there
>> > are no drivers for ATA hard drives.
>> > I have two hard drives in my computer, this one is the first ATA drive
>> > installed.
>> > I can't get rid of this message when windows starts.
>> > I have done the virus scanning and adware removeal, also defrag.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:46:02 PM

There is no error message. The add new hardware wizard comes up each time I
start Windows. I cancel it and it doesn't have any problems. Both my hard
drives are accessable and functioning even in device manager.

I'm not having any symptoms, it's just annoying that I have to cancel this
wizard each time I restart my computer. I don't know why it recognizes a
functioning hard drive?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the exact text of the error message? When precisely does it appear?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's an IDE hard drive.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you mean it is a SATA hard drive?.... the SATA drivers come from the
> >> motherboard manufacturer, not the hard drive manufacturer.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 4AB5229-86FF-4363-AE58-C80BB36DEBA1@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:31:24 PM

Check you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers.
--

> There is no error message. The add new hardware wizard comes up each time
> start Windows. I cancel it and it doesn't have any problems. Both my hard
> drives are accessable and functioning even in device manager.
>
> I'm not having any symptoms, it's just annoying that I have to cancel this
> wizard each time I restart my computer. I don't know why it recognizes a
> functioning hard drive?
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What is the exact text of the error message? When precisely does it
>> appear?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "tnks2hp" <tnks2hp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's an IDE hard drive.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:38:15 PM

Poor Tom Wrote:
> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can
> help!
>
> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes
> to my
> desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself.
> At
> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>
> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an
> iPod);
> then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession, with
> the
> other attempting to install software for 'Application Management'. If I
> hit
> cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official Microsoft
> ones
> and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com) simply
> go
> away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes shortly
> before
> the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after. This
> also
> wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows is
> trying to
> install software for.
>
> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show
> up
> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>
> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in
> advance!

HERE IS HOW TO FIX IT.
1. RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER AND SELECT MANAGE
2. SELECT THE HARDWARE TAB
3. CLICK ON DEVICE MANAGER
4. LOOK FOR THE IPOD SERVICE. IT WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE A YELLOW
EXCLAMATION OR QUESTIONMARK BY IT.
5. RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND HIT UNINSTALL.
WALLAH! NO MORE STARTUP MESSAGES.

YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ANY OTHER DEVICES THAT HAVE THAT YELLOW WARNING BY
IT. IT WILL CLEAR UP ALL YOUR CONFICTS.

-tom :)

--
tom108
Anonymous

Thank you very much - seems to have worked!

"tom108" <tom108.1qqcdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Poor Tom Wrote:
>> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope someone can
>> help!
>>
>> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP changes
>> to my
>> desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box is
>> displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update for the
>> appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this time' and hit
>> 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can install the driver myself.
>> At
>> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>>
>> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't have an
>> iPod);
>> then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession, with
>> the
>> other attempting to install software for 'Application Management'. If I
>> hit
>> cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official Microsoft
>> ones
>> and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com) simply
>> go
>> away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes shortly
>> before
>> the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after. This
>> also
>> wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows is
>> trying to
>> install software for.
>>
>> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't show
>> up
>> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>>
>> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time in
>> advance!
>
> HERE IS HOW TO FIX IT.
> 1. RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER AND SELECT MANAGE
> 2. SELECT THE HARDWARE TAB
> 3. CLICK ON DEVICE MANAGER
> 4. LOOK FOR THE IPOD SERVICE. IT WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE A YELLOW
> EXCLAMATION OR QUESTIONMARK BY IT.
> 5. RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND HIT UNINSTALL.
> WALLAH! NO MORE STARTUP MESSAGES.
>
> YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ANY OTHER DEVICES THAT HAVE THAT YELLOW WARNING BY
> IT. IT WILL CLEAR UP ALL YOUR CONFICTS.
>
> -tom :)
>

> --
> tom108
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:52:21 PM

> Thank you very much - seems to have worked!
>
> "tom108" <tom108.1qqcdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Poor Tom Wrote:
>>> No google search has produced an answer to this, so I hope
>>> someone can help!
>>>
>>> For the last week, the moment the welcome screen on Windows XP
>>> changes to my
>>> desktop upon starting the PC, a 'Found New Hardware' dialog box
>>> is displayed, giving me the option of searching Windows Update
>>> for the appropriate driver. If I select the option 'No, not this
>>> time' and hit 'Next', I'm taken to the screen where I can
>>> install the driver myself. At
>>> this point, it shows the hardware it is trying to install for.
>>>
>>> At first, this was always 'iPod Service' (even though I don't
>>> have an iPod);
>>> then, after two days, two dialog boxes appeared in succession,
>>> with the
>>> other attempting to install software for 'Application
>>> Management'. If I hit
>>> cancel each time, the boxes (which look just like official
>>> Microsoft ones
>>> and have links to Microsoft's privacy policy on microsoft.com)
>>> simply go
>>> away. I should add at this point that I had installed iTunes
>>> shortly before
>>> the messages started to appear but uninstalled it shortly after.
>>> This also
>>> wouldn't explain the 'Application Management' hardware Windows
>>> is trying to
>>> install software for.
>>>
>>> I have virus scanned and run AdAware and Spybot, but they don't
>>> show up
>>> anything. What is my problem and how can I get rid of it?
>>>
>>> Your help is massively appreciated, so thank you for your time
>>> in advance!
>>
>> HERE IS HOW TO FIX IT.
>> 1. RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER AND SELECT MANAGE
>> 2. SELECT THE HARDWARE TAB
>> 3. CLICK ON DEVICE MANAGER
>> 4. LOOK FOR THE IPOD SERVICE. IT WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE A YELLOW
>> EXCLAMATION OR QUESTIONMARK BY IT.
>> 5. RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND HIT UNINSTALL.
>> WALLAH! NO MORE STARTUP MESSAGES.
>>
>> YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ANY OTHER DEVICES THAT HAVE THAT YELLOW
>> WARNING BY IT. IT WILL CLEAR UP ALL YOUR CONFICTS.
>>
>> -tom :)
>>

>> --
>> tom108

I have the Found New Hardware message problem for my SAamsung ML-1750
laser printer connected thru a USB port.

If I click cancel, the printer appears in the "Printers and Faxes"
display, but it will not be printed to (excuse grammar). It has all
the properties intact, but won't print - although one can print to the
spool, but the files stack up, but never get physically printed.

I can manually delete the printer on the Printers and Faxes window,
then Add Printer and it will now run until boot-up, when XP finds new
hardware. This morinig, I let it look this one time on the internet
and it found a driver on Microsoft. This driver was one I had d/l'ewd
through Windows Update sometime earlier this year. I let it install,
but next bot-up, same thing. The next time, I installed the driver
myself from the original CD taht came with the printer nearly 2 years
ago. Driver seems to make NO difference.

Any thoughtsm anyone ?
!