Problems with PIO, Maxtor 160Gb and A7A266 with Ali chipset

Panther

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

Hi,
I'm an unhappy owner of a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive (6L160P0). I'm
unhappy because I'm not able to make it use the UltraDMA mode, but only
the slow PIO4 mode. I have WinXP Pro sp2.
My motherboard is an Asus A7A266 with Alimagik1 chipset (North bridge
Ali M1647, South bridge Ali M1535D+) with the latest BIOS (1013 beta).
I also have a Samsung 40Gb hard disk that works perfectly in UDMA5.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IDE channels from device manager,
but I still have PIO4.
I checked BIOS, setting either "Auto" or "Manual" in HD configuration
(manual udma6, udma5 etc...). No way.

I downloaded Ali/Uli integrated drivers v2.096, then I enabled mini-IDE
driver (v1.5.10) modifying the "install.ini" file and installed it. No
success, hd still uses PIO.
Now in device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have "Ali
M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
I tried forcing UDMA changing "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" and
"MasterDeviceTimingMode" keys in registry (ffffffff and 10010), nothing
to do.

I tried downloading and installing the old Ali UltraIDE driver
v4.0.0.8, which simulates SCSI drives using IDE units. IT WORKS! But:
standby/hibernate function doesn't work anymore and my DVD unit cannot
read disks (it returns I/O errors). Plus I read from other people that
there are many problems with CD/DVD recording.

Hardware is OK, cables are 80 pin, all settings are perfect.

I think I'm not the only one who has these problems, I'd like to know
if there is a solution to this. Will Ali distribute new drivers to
solve this problem? And when? I purchased this Maxtor HD to work with
video, but in PIO mode there's no way to do it. It's almost useless!!!

Thanks all.

peter

Hi,

I would think the 160GB Maxtor HDD is connected as slave and the small Hdd
is the master.
Make sure both Hdds are set to cable select and ensure you are using a 40
Pin 80 wires IDE cable. If in doubt, buy a new IDE cable as it is very cheap.
Ensure DMA mode are enabled in BIOS for both IDE channels.
--
Peter

"panther" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm an unhappy owner of a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive (6L160P0). I'm
> unhappy because I'm not able to make it use the UltraDMA mode, but only
> the slow PIO4 mode. I have WinXP Pro sp2.
> My motherboard is an Asus A7A266 with Alimagik1 chipset (North bridge
> Ali M1647, South bridge Ali M1535D+) with the latest BIOS (1013 beta).
> I also have a Samsung 40Gb hard disk that works perfectly in UDMA5.
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IDE channels from device manager,
> but I still have PIO4.
> I checked BIOS, setting either "Auto" or "Manual" in HD configuration
> (manual udma6, udma5 etc...). No way.
>
> I downloaded Ali/Uli integrated drivers v2.096, then I enabled mini-IDE
> driver (v1.5.10) modifying the "install.ini" file and installed it. No
> success, hd still uses PIO.
> Now in device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have "Ali
> M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
> I tried forcing UDMA changing "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" and
> "MasterDeviceTimingMode" keys in registry (ffffffff and 10010), nothing
> to do.
>
> I tried downloading and installing the old Ali UltraIDE driver
> v4.0.0.8, which simulates SCSI drives using IDE units. IT WORKS! But:
> standby/hibernate function doesn't work anymore and my DVD unit cannot
> read disks (it returns I/O errors). Plus I read from other people that
> there are many problems with CD/DVD recording.
>
> Hardware is OK, cables are 80 pin, all settings are perfect.
>
> I think I'm not the only one who has these problems, I'd like to know
> if there is a solution to this. Will Ali distribute new drivers to
> solve this problem? And when? I purchased this Maxtor HD to work with
> video, but in PIO mode there's no way to do it. It's almost useless!!!
>
> Thanks all.

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"panther" wrote:

| Hi,
| I'm an unhappy owner of a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive (6L160P0). I'm
| unhappy because I'm not able to make it use the UltraDMA mode, but only
| the slow PIO4 mode. I have WinXP Pro sp2.
| My motherboard is an Asus A7A266 with Alimagik1 chipset (North bridge
| Ali M1647, South bridge Ali M1535D+) with the latest BIOS (1013 beta).
| I also have a Samsung 40Gb hard disk that works perfectly in UDMA5.
|
| I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IDE channels from device manager,
| but I still have PIO4.
| I checked BIOS, setting either "Auto" or "Manual" in HD configuration
| (manual udma6, udma5 etc...). No way.
|
| I downloaded Ali/Uli integrated drivers v2.096, then I enabled mini-IDE
| driver (v1.5.10) modifying the "install.ini" file and installed it. No
| success, hd still uses PIO.
| Now in device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have "Ali
| M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
| I tried forcing UDMA changing "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" and
| "MasterDeviceTimingMode" keys in registry (ffffffff and 10010), nothing
| to do.
|
| I tried downloading and installing the old Ali UltraIDE driver
| v4.0.0.8, which simulates SCSI drives using IDE units. IT WORKS! But:
| standby/hibernate function doesn't work anymore and my DVD unit cannot
| read disks (it returns I/O errors). Plus I read from other people that
| there are many problems with CD/DVD recording.
|
| Hardware is OK, cables are 80 pin, all settings are perfect.
|
| I think I'm not the only one who has these problems, I'd like to know
| if there is a solution to this. Will Ali distribute new drivers to
| solve this problem? And when? I purchased this Maxtor HD to work with
| video, but in PIO mode there's no way to do it. It's almost useless!!!
|
| Thanks all.

Do you have "all" of the M/B drivers installed - the latest version of each?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"panther" <nessuna@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm an unhappy owner of a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive (6L160P0). I'm
> unhappy because I'm not able to make it use the UltraDMA mode, but only
> the slow PIO4 mode. I have WinXP Pro sp2.
> My motherboard is an Asus A7A266 with Alimagik1 chipset (North bridge
> Ali M1647, South bridge Ali M1535D+) with the latest BIOS (1013 beta).
> I also have a Samsung 40Gb hard disk that works perfectly in UDMA5.
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IDE channels from device manager,
> but I still have PIO4.
> I checked BIOS, setting either "Auto" or "Manual" in HD configuration
> (manual udma6, udma5 etc...). No way.
>
> I downloaded Ali/Uli integrated drivers v2.096, then I enabled mini-IDE
> driver (v1.5.10) modifying the "install.ini" file and installed it. No
> success, hd still uses PIO.
> Now in device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have "Ali
> M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
> I tried forcing UDMA changing "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" and
> "MasterDeviceTimingMode" keys in registry (ffffffff and 10010), nothing
> to do.
>
> I tried downloading and installing the old Ali UltraIDE driver
> v4.0.0.8, which simulates SCSI drives using IDE units. IT WORKS! But:
> standby/hibernate function doesn't work anymore and my DVD unit cannot
> read disks (it returns I/O errors). Plus I read from other people that
> there are many problems with CD/DVD recording.
>
> Hardware is OK, cables are 80 pin, all settings are perfect.
>
> I think I'm not the only one who has these problems, I'd like to know
> if there is a solution to this. Will Ali distribute new drivers to
> solve this problem? And when? I purchased this Maxtor HD to work with
> video, but in PIO mode there's no way to do it. It's almost useless!!!
>
> Thanks all.

Panther

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

>Carey Frisch wrote:
>
>IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors
>occur
>http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;8174­72

Thanks, but I already know this. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling
ide port with no success. Thanks anyway!

>Peter wrote:
>I would think the 160GB Maxtor HDD is connected as slave and the small Hdd
>is the master.
>Make sure both Hdds are set to cable select and ensure you are using a 40
>Pin 80 wires IDE cable. If in doubt, buy a new IDE cable as it is very cheap.
>Ensure DMA mode are enabled in BIOS for both IDE channels.

Maxtor 160Gb is connected as master, I removed the slave but nothing
changes.
I use a 80 wires ide cable (the same i use for the 40Gb hd that uses
UDMA5).
Dma modes are enabled in bios for both channels. Your suggestions are
appreciated.

> Richard Urban wrote:
> Do you have "all" of the M/B drivers installed - the latest version of each?

I installed the latest Ali integrated drivers (which are v2.0.96). As
far as I know there aren't newer drivers. I'm waiting for them, because
I think it's a driver problem; in fact, as I wrote, there are old Ali
drivers (ultraIDE v4.0.0.8) which make the HD run at UDMA speed, but
cause many many problems to the system. So I think cables are ok,
config is ok, only driver is not ok. sigh.
Thanks for your suggestion.

"panther" <nessuna@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm an unhappy owner of a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive (6L160P0). I'm
> unhappy because I'm not able to make it use the UltraDMA mode, but only
> the slow PIO4 mode. I have WinXP Pro sp2.
> My motherboard is an Asus A7A266 with Alimagik1 chipset (North bridge
> Ali M1647, South bridge Ali M1535D+) with the latest BIOS (1013 beta).
> I also have a Samsung 40Gb hard disk that works perfectly in UDMA5.
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IDE channels from device manager,
> but I still have PIO4.
> I checked BIOS, setting either "Auto" or "Manual" in HD configuration
> (manual udma6, udma5 etc...). No way.
>
> I downloaded Ali/Uli integrated drivers v2.096, then I enabled mini-IDE
> driver (v1.5.10) modifying the "install.ini" file and installed it. No
> success, hd still uses PIO.
> Now in device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have "Ali
> M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
> I tried forcing UDMA changing "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" and
> "MasterDeviceTimingMode" keys in registry (ffffffff and 10010), nothing
> to do.
>
> I tried downloading and installing the old Ali UltraIDE driver
> v4.0.0.8, which simulates SCSI drives using IDE units. IT WORKS! But:
> standby/hibernate function doesn't work anymore and my DVD unit cannot
> read disks (it returns I/O errors). Plus I read from other people that
> there are many problems with CD/DVD recording.
>
> Hardware is OK, cables are 80 pin, all settings are perfect.
>
> I think I'm not the only one who has these problems, I'd like to know
> if there is a solution to this. Will Ali distribute new drivers to
> solve this problem? And when? I purchased this Maxtor HD to work with
> video, but in PIO mode there's no way to do it. It's almost useless!!!
>
> Thanks all.

Download the Powermax diagnostic utility from www.maxtor.com and test the
drive. The drive may be defective or the smart data may be corrupted. In any
case you will find out if the drive is good or not. If it is defective get
it replaced on warranty. If it's good then check with whomever you purchased
the motherboard from for support. Another thing to try is a different cable
and plugging the drive into the secondary IDE port instead of the primary
port.

Kerry

Add UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF and
UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF.

If the drive performance is unstable, OS locks it in one of the lower DMA
modes or in the PIO mode at all. The values "User...ModeAllowed" should
overcome this default behaviour.

Uninstall ALi IDE controller, clean the registry and disk from ALi remnants,
and reboot.

Panther

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>Download the Powermax diagnostic utility from www.maxtor.com and test the
>drive. The drive may be defective or the smart data may be corrupted. In any
>case you will find out if the drive is good or not. If it is defective get
>it replaced on warranty. If it's good then check with whomever you purchased
>the motherboard from for support. Another thing to try is a different cable
>and plugging the drive into the secondary IDE port instead of the primary
>port.

I already checked the disk and it works perfectly.
I have two IDE ports, but only the first supports UDMA transfer, so I
think that connecting to the second port would have no effect. Thanks

> Jetro wrote:
>Add UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllo­wed 0xFFFFFFFF and
>UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllow­ed 0xFFFFFFFF.
>If the drive performance is unstable, OS locks it in one of the lower DMA
>modes or in the PIO mode at all. The values "User...ModeAllowed" should
>overcome this default behaviour.
>Uninstall ALi IDE controller, clean the registry and disk from ALi remnants,
>and reboot.

I formatted and reinstalled WinXP at least 15 times. Changing these
registry keys had no effects (the system restores them to 0000001f).

Now I'm using Ali UltraIDE v4.0.0.8, the problem with the DVD reader is
partially solved (I set DMA transfer for this unit). Hibernation and
standby are still unusable, but my HD works at 133Mb speed (udma6)
simulating a SCSI unit. I have to try to record a CD, if this work I'll
be quite happy.
I hope that Ali will soon release new drivers.....

Thanks for your help! ;)

>I already checked the disk and it works perfectly.
>I have two IDE ports, but only the first supports UDMA transfer, so I
>think that connecting to the second port would have no effect. Thanks

Both ports support UDMA with that motherboard. If they don't something is
wrong with the motherboard.

Kerry

Does native Windows driver support UDMA properly? BTW, how does BIOS report
about the mode?

;************ALI IDE Controller ******************************
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5215=%SystemRoot%\inf\Mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5219=%SystemRoot%\inf\Mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5229=%SystemRoot%\inf\Mshdc.inf
;****************************************************************

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10b9&dev_5215]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="pciide"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10b9&dev_5219]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="pciide"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10b9&dev_5229]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="pciide"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PCIIde]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="System Bus Extender"
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Tag"=dword:00000003
"Type"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,70,00,63,00,69,00,69,00,64,00,65,\
00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

Panther

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

Thanks all for your help.
Finally I managed how to solve my problem.

To activate Hibernation/Standby functions with UltraIDE v4.0.0.8
driver, I changed the following key NAME in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/alihdd/Parameters/PnpInterface/5

The NAME of this value must be changed from "5" to "1" and hibernation
works again!

"panther" wrote:
> Thanks all for your help.
> Finally I managed how to solve my problem.
>
> To activate Hibernation/Standby functions with UltraIDE
> v4.0.0.8
> driver, I changed the following key NAME in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/alihdd/Pa
> rameters/PnpInterface/5
>
> The NAME of this value must be changed from "5" to "1" and
> hibernation
> works again!

I would just like to say that I have the same motherboard and hard
drive combination, and have experienced exactly the same problem with
being forced into PIO mode. The problem is with service packs 1 and 2.
If you run xp with out the service packs the transfer mode uses UDMA
as it should. I know this is an issue caused by the service packs as I
am also running Windows 2000 service pack 4 on another partition of
the same hard drive and that is fine!
However, I have downloaded the driver that can be obtained from the
update section from the link given by fsm103 and my drive is now
running as a SCSI drive and SP2 isn’t slow anymore.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Problems-PIO-Maxtor-160Gb-A7A266-Ali-chipset-ftopict542579.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1732036

On 20 Jun 2005 15:35:41 -0400, Spannerman

>I would just like to say that I have the same motherboard and hard
>drive combination, and have experienced exactly the same problem with
>being forced into PIO mode. The problem is with service packs 1 and 2.

Be careful what you wish for.

XP can fallback from UDMA to PIO in response to errors that indicate a
risk of data loss, and having done so, it won't fall forward again.
If this protective behaviour was added in a SP, it won't be there on
older versions; you'd just start losing data instead.

Check out these things that can affect data transfer quality:
- 80-pin UIDE cable, correctly connected and jumpered
- not using HD brackets or data cable extensions
- motherboard capacitors not bulging/leaking
- system RAM and CPU speed OK
- HD surface and SMART OK
- not overclocking the PCI

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Our senses are our UI to reality

"Spannerman" wrote:
> I would just like to say that I have the same motherboard and
> hard drive combination, and have experienced exactly the same
> problem with being forced into PIO mode. The problem is with
> service packs 1 and 2. If you run xp with out the service
> packs the transfer mode uses UDMA as it should. I know this is
> an issue caused by the service packs as I am also running
> Windows 2000 service pack 4 on another partition of the same
> hard drive and that is fine!
> However, I have downloaded the driver that can be obtained
> from the update section from the link given by fsm103 and my
> drive is now running as a SCSI drive and SP2 isn't slow
> anymore.

Hi,
I would like to say that I´m having this very same problem too.
I have a Samsung HD 160GB SP1614N, and an ASUS A7A-266E motherboard.
Installing the Ultra-IDE drivers (v4.0.0.8) in
http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/a7a266/
solved the PIO problems (I didn´t try to burn any cds yet, I´m
crossing my fingers), but I´ve noticed some strange behaviour...
1) There is no way of uninstalling the ALI drivers from my computer.
Not that I wanted to do so, given that they work, but I would prefer
to be able to...
2) More bothering, running any HD benchmark utility
(http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach
)
(http://www.hdtune.com/
)
I see that, doing the Read test, from MB 131072, the computer slows
down and transfer rate goes down to 2.5mb/s (exactly the same
conditions that when using PIO mode). Are you experiencing this same
behaviour?
3) I can´t create any FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB. I´m pretty
sure I could before...

This already stole my weekend... Any ideas?

"palpas" wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to say that I´m having this very same problem
> too.
> I have a Samsung HD 160GB SP1614N, and an ASUS A7A-266E
> motherboard.
> Installing the Ultra-IDE drivers (v4.0.0.8) in
> http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/a7a266/ solved
> the PIO problems (I didn´t try to burn any cds yet, I´m
> crossing my fingers), but I´ve noticed some strange
> behaviour...
> 1) There is no way of uninstalling the ALI drivers from my
> computer. Not that I wanted to do so, given that they work,
> but I would prefer to be able to...
> 2) More bothering, running any HD benchmark utility
> (http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach)
> (http://www.hdtune.com/)
> I see that, doing the Read test, from MB 131072, the computer
> slows down and transfer rate goes down to 2.5mb/s (exactly the
> same conditions that when using PIO mode). Are you
> experiencing this same behaviour?
> 3) I can´t create any FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB. I´m
> pretty sure I could before...
>
> This already stole my weekend... Any ideas?

Sorry, I found out that not creating FAT32 partitions bigger than 32GB
is standard behaviour in Windows XP SP2.

But it still can read them, that’s the reason I thought I could create
them before (I could, but when I had a version prior to SP2).

palpas wrote:

> Sorry, I found out that not creating FAT32 partitions bigger than 32GB
> is standard behaviour in Windows XP SP2.
>
> But it still can read them, that’s the reason I thought I could create
> them before (I could, but when I had a version prior to SP2).

NO version of Windows XP creates FAT32 partitions greater than 32 GB,
SP2 or otherwise.

anna

> NO version of Windows XP creates FAT32 partitions greater than 32 GB, SP2
> or otherwise.

palpas & Bob:
There is a rather simple & straightforward way to *format* existing
partitions FAT32 from within XP. The process involves using a
Linux-developed file to format a partition in FAT32 of any size. Note that
this program cannot *create* partitions, only format existing ones. So if
this is of any interest to you or anyone else, please so indicate and I'll
detail the process.
Anna

Sorry Anna, it's not a case of not being able to create >32GB
partitions, its correcting a misconception that XP could do it before SP2.

Anna wrote:

>>palpas wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, I found out that not creating FAT32 partitions bigger than 32GB
>>>is standard behaviour in Windows XP SP2.
>>>
>>>But it still can read them, that’s the reason I thought I could create
>>>them before (I could, but when I had a version prior to SP2).
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>NO version of Windows XP creates FAT32 partitions greater than 32 GB, SP2
>>or otherwise.
>

> palpas & Bob:
> There is a rather simple & straightforward way to *format* existing
> partitions FAT32 from within XP. The process involves using a
> Linux-developed file to format a partition in FAT32 of any size. Note that
> this program cannot *create* partitions, only format existing ones. So if
> this is of any interest to you or anyone else, please so indicate and I'll
> detail the process.
> Anna

anna

> Sorry Anna, it's not a case of not being able to create >32GB partitions,
> its correcting a misconception that XP could do it before SP2.

Bob:
Yes, I fully understand the OP was under the mistaken impression that prior
to SP2, XP could create FAT32 partitions > 32 GB. I would guess that most
users are aware that the FAT32 partition limitation has *always* existed in
XP. However, since the subject of creating FAT32 partitions > 32 GB in an XP
environment *did* come up, I thought it might be useful to those users to be
aware of a process that allows one to format FAT32 partitions > 32 GB from
*within* XP using the program I mentioned above.
Anna