X5DAE & 800MHz?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2005 3:24:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Hello,

I'm running a pair of 2.4GHz Xeons in a X5DAE board quite happily. I
can get my hands on a pair of used 3.2GHz (800MHz FSB, 1MB L2) for next
to nothing - I wonder if it's worth it though.

I should be able to plug the CPUs in, but if the new ones are locked to
a 4x multiplier then running them at 4x533 (533 is the most the X5DAE
can do) will only give me ~2.1GHz, and I might be worse off than I am
right now with the 4.5x533 pair. Granted, I'll have double the L2 cache
but that's not relevant in all usage scenarios.

So the question is: do you know if the X5DAE and 800 FSB Xeons will
play nice and allow me to select 6x533?

-Marton

More about : x5dae 800mhz

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2005 3:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Ahh. Okay. Thanks.

I *could* pick up a new board... but that means getting a PCI-express
video card and new RAM as well. Getting a bit pricey....

-Marton
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2005 11:40:31 PM

On 3 Jan 2005 12:24:56 -0800, amarton@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm running a pair of 2.4GHz Xeons in a X5DAE board quite happily. I
>can get my hands on a pair of used 3.2GHz (800MHz FSB, 1MB L2) for next
>to nothing - I wonder if it's worth it though.
>
>I should be able to plug the CPUs in, but if the new ones are locked to
>a 4x multiplier then running them at 4x533 (533 is the most the X5DAE
>can do) will only give me ~2.1GHz, and I might be worse off than I am
>right now with the 4.5x533 pair. Granted, I'll have double the L2 cache
>but that's not relevant in all usage scenarios.
>
>So the question is: do you know if the X5DAE and 800 FSB Xeons will
>play nice and allow me to select 6x533?
>
>-Marton

I doubt you'll even get an X5DA8/E board to successfully power-up, never mind
get through POST, with an 800mhz FSB Xeon plugged in.

While the 400mhz and 533mhz Xeons operated with a single voltage design, the
800mhz Xeons require both a VCC and a VTT supply to function....

/daytripper
!