Closed

CD/DVD Drive Listed in 'Unknown' Device Manager catagory

My dell 8200 XP/SP2 has the CD/DVD drive listed under "Unknown" category
within System/Hardware/Device Manager. It works fine, but aside from
re-installing XP from scratch, is there a way to fix this problem?

Mes
Mesmurized@hotmail.com
5 answers Last reply
More about drive listed unknown device manager catagory

    Hi Charles,

    Update the driver for it. Try going through Windows Update and see if
    there's one for it.

    Hope this helps,
    Newtechie

    "Charles Bazaar" <bazaar@aol.com> wrote in message
    > My dell 8200 XP/SP2 has the CD/DVD drive listed under "Unknown" category
    > within System/Hardware/Device Manager. It works fine, but aside from
    > re-installing XP from scratch, is there a way to fix this problem?
    >
    > Mes
    > Mesmurized@hotmail.com

    hi Charles

    update the CD-ROM's firewere, you can find it on your CD-ROM's complany's
    Web. if you not know how to update it. you can see some help on the Web.It's
    all way have it.That's all.

    --

    Rocky

    E-mail:mzi66@yeah.net

    "Charles Bazaar" <bazaar@aol.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:%23k9o6ZlaFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > My dell 8200 XP/SP2 has the CD/DVD drive listed under "Unknown" category
    > within System/Hardware/Device Manager. It works fine, but aside from
    > re-installing XP from scratch, is there a way to fix this problem?
    >
    > Mes
    > Mesmurized@hotmail.com

  3. You are probably missing the necessary key values in the registry. See what key values are listed for
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

    I exported the values from a working computer and merged them with the problem computer. After exporting from the good computer. I edited the registry settings file so that I did not merge the subkeys. These are the settings that I merged:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "Class"="CDROM"
    @="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
    "EnumPropPages32"="MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider"
    "Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
    "SilentInstall"="1"
    "NoInstallClass"="1"
    "TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm"
    "Icon"="-51"
    "LowerFilters"=hex(7):50,00,78,00,48,00,65,00,6c,00,70,00,32,00,30,00,00,00,00,00
  4. Old thread!
  5. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Hardware Device Manager DVD Drives CD-Rom Windows XP