Power strip and Game question

What was that power strip that is mentioned here from time to time
where you can turn on all your equipment? If I remember correctly it
activates monitors, ATX power supplies, etc. that have soft power
switches (the momentary connection type).

I ask this because I now have a Tempest cab and I am OBVIOUSLY in a hurry
to start rockin to Tempest and other games that can work with an
unmodified control panel. I already have a new Vortex Spinner from Oscar
controls and everything setup but the monitor, which I'm getting in a few
days. Beware flippers and pulsars!

As far as I can tell these are the games that are Vertical with two or
less firebuttons, that can use a spinner:

Tempest
Tempest Tubes
Arkanoid
Tac/Scan
Wall Crash
Riddle of Pythagarus
Homo (Clone of Goindoi)
Kick (I know this game uses a cylindrical roller, but I'll give it a
shot)
Quester
Bomb Bee
Cutie Q
Gee Bee
Gigas Olgas
Gigas Mark II
Super Breakout

if anyone know of any I've missed, please let me know.

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!

http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/

I have two, and they work great.

Mike

"Super Mappy" <supermappy@REMOVETHIScolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> What was that power strip that is mentioned here from time to time
> where you can turn on all your equipment? If I remember correctly it
> activates monitors, ATX power supplies, etc. that have soft power
> switches (the momentary connection type).
>
> I ask this because I now have a Tempest cab and I am OBVIOUSLY in a hurry
> to start rockin to Tempest and other games that can work with an
> unmodified control panel. I already have a new Vortex Spinner from Oscar
> controls and everything setup but the monitor, which I'm getting in a few
> days. Beware flippers and pulsars!
>
> As far as I can tell these are the games that are Vertical with two or
> less firebuttons, that can use a spinner:
>
> Tempest
> Tempest Tubes
> Arkanoid
> Tac/Scan
> Wall Crash
> Riddle of Pythagarus
> Homo (Clone of Goindoi)
> Kick (I know this game uses a cylindrical roller, but I'll give it a
> shot)
> Quester
> Bomb Bee
> Cutie Q
> Gee Bee
> Gigas Olgas
> Gigas Mark II
> Super Breakout
>
> if anyone know of any I've missed, please let me know.
>
> --
> Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983
>
> See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
> http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/
>
> Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000
>
> MAME: Forever Young!

Mike Warren played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
and concrete saxophone

> http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/
>
> I have two, and they work great.
>
> Mike

Wow! I never saw that before. So you just need a button wired to your
motherboard's power switch header and when you hit that it will switch on
the monitor, speakers and stuff too?

--
Neil

Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
> Mike Warren played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
> and concrete saxophone
>
> > http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/
> >
> > I have two, and they work great.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Wow! I never saw that before. So you just need a button wired to your
> motherboard's power switch header and when you hit that it will switch on
> the monitor, speakers and stuff too?

Yup, just the thing for MAME cabs:

http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip2-1.html

http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip1.html

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in a cheese induced
coma news:MPG.1cc842582500f060989e5a@news:

> Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
>> Mike Warren played the following on an explodable self-inflating
>> leather and concrete saxophone
>>
>> > http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/
>> >
>> > I have two, and they work great.
>> >
>> > Mike
>>
>> Wow! I never saw that before. So you just need a button wired to your
>> motherboard's power switch header and when you hit that it will
>> switch on the monitor, speakers and stuff too?
>
> Yup, just the thing for MAME cabs:
>
> http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip2-1.html
>
> http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip1.html

I'm having trouble understanding how it can turn on the monitor because
it uses a momentary connection style switch. Now if it was like my
speakers and has an older style hard switch the answer would be easy.

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!

Super Mappy thought about it a bit, then said...
> Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in a cheese induced
> coma news:MPG.1cc842582500f060989e5a@news:
>
> > Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
> >> Mike Warren played the following on an explodable self-inflating
> >> leather and concrete saxophone

> >> Wow! I never saw that before. So you just need a button wired to your
> >> motherboard's power switch header and when you hit that it will
> >> switch on the monitor, speakers and stuff too?
> >
> > Yup, just the thing for MAME cabs:
> >
> > http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip2-1.html
> >
> > http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/smartstrip1.html
> >

> I'm having trouble understanding how it can turn on the monitor because
> it uses a momentary connection style switch. Now if it was like my
> speakers and has an older style hard switch the answer would be easy.

Most monitors (PC and arcade) don't use momentary switches - TV's do,
though. (Heck, arcade monitors don't even use switches ;-)

Luckily the DaeWoo TV in my Quasicade has an option in the setup menus
to enable auto-power, allowing me to use the SmartStrip to turn
everything on.

--

Despite all prevention efforts, Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net>
wrote in news:MPG.1cc8699d9dfc1524989e5b@news:

> Most monitors (PC and arcade) don't use momentary switches - TV's do,
> though. (Heck, arcade monitors don't even use switches ;-)

Hey Kevin - I'll have to respectfully disagree on that statement, at least
regarding modern PC monitors. Every monitor I've used at work or home
since I stopped using my 14" Sampo (it's in my bartop MAME main for the
reason that the controls are manual) many years back have used momentary
switches. Outside of rigging up a single momentary switch to get both the
monitor and CPU at the same time, I've also struggled with finding a good
way to do this in my upright cab. Another thing with later model PC
monitors is "how long will my monitor retain its positioning settings?"
Since that's pretty much exclusive programmed rather than manual knobs
these days, are you limited by the lifetime of a capacitor or do they store
that info in some sort of NVRAM?

--
Slor

Slor thought about it a bit, then said...
> Despite all prevention efforts, Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net>
> wrote in news:MPG.1cc8699d9dfc1524989e5b@news:
>
> > Most monitors (PC and arcade) don't use momentary switches - TV's do,
> > though. (Heck, arcade monitors don't even use switches ;-)
>
> Hey Kevin - I'll have to respectfully disagree on that statement, at least
> regarding modern PC monitors. Every monitor I've used at work or home
> since I stopped using my 14" Sampo (it's in my bartop MAME main for the
> reason that the controls are manual) many years back have used momentary
> switches.

I guess we must be using different monitors, since none (zilch, nada) of
the PC monitors I've ever worked with has been unable to be powered-up
simply by plugging it in once you've pushed the power button once.

I've got a SmartStrip on my son's PC which includes a 17" LG monitor, I
used a Viewsonic V95 in my MAMEframe, and even my Planar PX191 LCD
display will power up after a power loss without having to press the
power button (just tried it out ;-)

I've never encountered a PC monitor that could not power up via a
powerstrip.

> Outside of rigging up a single momentary switch to get both the
> monitor and CPU at the same time, I've also struggled with finding a good
> way to do this in my upright cab. Another thing with later model PC
> monitors is "how long will my monitor retain its positioning settings?"
> Since that's pretty much exclusive programmed rather than manual knobs
> these days, are you limited by the lifetime of a capacitor or do they store
> that info in some sort of NVRAM?

Your adjustments are usually stored in NVRAM - even my Betson arcade
monitor apparently has NVRAM, since the board set has been removed,
repaired, and reinstalled with no loss of my settings.

--

Despite all prevention efforts, Slor <slor@comcast.net> wrote in

> or home since I stopped using my 14" Sampo (it's in my bartop MAME

Oh yeah - that would be my MAME(tm) bartop... :)

--
Slor

> Must be. Most of my experience has been with Dell monitors (with a
> ViewSonic or MAG here and there) over recent years. I looked at
using a
> typical 15" Dell Trinitron for the bartop, but once you leave it off
> unplugged for so long it "forgets" it was on, so turning on the power
bar
> doesn't get you much. I know there are some out there that still use
the
> manual switch, but they at least don't seem common where I am.
>

> > Your adjustments are usually stored in NVRAM - even my Betson
arcade
> > monitor apparently has NVRAM, since the board set has been removed,

> > repaired, and reinstalled with no loss of my settings.

i've never had a monitor that didnt have an always on switch once on it
is on plugged in or not

got dells,gateways,mag,viewsonic

a couple i have loose my settings after powerfailure all of them just
turn off by themselves when they loose their vga signal(energystar
compliant)

which is annoying because there are like 4 videomodes i need to expand
the screen to fill it otherwise it looks severly letterboxed (there
aint no cure for darius though)

> I guess we must be using different monitors, since none (zilch, nada)
> of the PC monitors I've ever worked with has been unable to be
> powered-up simply by plugging it in once you've pushed the power
> button once.

Must be. Most of my experience has been with Dell monitors (with a
ViewSonic or MAG here and there) over recent years. I looked at using a
typical 15" Dell Trinitron for the bartop, but once you leave it off
unplugged for so long it "forgets" it was on, so turning on the power bar
doesn't get you much. I know there are some out there that still use the
manual switch, but they at least don't seem common where I am.

> Your adjustments are usually stored in NVRAM - even my Betson arcade
> monitor apparently has NVRAM, since the board set has been removed,
> repaired, and reinstalled with no loss of my settings.

Cool.

--
Slor

> Despite all prevention efforts, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in
>

>> I guess we must be using different monitors, since none (zilch, nada)
>> of the PC monitors I've ever worked with has been unable to be
>> powered-up simply by plugging it in once you've pushed the power
>> button once.
>>

> Must be. Most of my experience has been with Dell monitors (with a
> ViewSonic or MAG here and there) over recent years. I looked at using
> a typical 15" Dell Trinitron for the bartop, but once you leave it off
> unplugged for so long it "forgets" it was on, so turning on the power
> bar doesn't get you much. I know there are some out there that still
> use the manual switch, but they at least don't seem common where I am.

I looked around today, and I did see a couple Dells that have the physical
switch. Too bad none of them are mine or, apparently, Mappy's... Remember
how cool the momentary switches on things seemed before MAME(tm) cabs came
into play? :)

--
Slor

Slor <slor@comcast.net> wrote in a cheese induced coma

> Despite all prevention efforts, Slor <slor@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> Despite all prevention efforts, Kevin Steele
>> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in
>>

>>> I guess we must be using different monitors, since none (zilch,
>>> nada) of the PC monitors I've ever worked with has been unable to be
>>> powered-up simply by plugging it in once you've pushed the power
>>> button once.
>>>

>> Must be. Most of my experience has been with Dell monitors (with a
>> ViewSonic or MAG here and there) over recent years. I looked at
>> using a typical 15" Dell Trinitron for the bartop, but once you leave
>> it off unplugged for so long it "forgets" it was on, so turning on
>> the power bar doesn't get you much. I know there are some out there
>> that still use the manual switch, but they at least don't seem common
>> where I am.
>
> I looked around today, and I did see a couple Dells that have the
> physical switch. Too bad none of them are mine or, apparently,
> Mappy's... Remember how cool the momentary switches on things seemed
> before MAME(tm) cabs came into play? :)

oh yeah, they were nice :)

Thanks for all your input, I'll definetly take it all into concideration.

The killer part is I got a Tempest Cab ready to go with a nice brand
spanking new Vortex spinner in it, everything is almost set up to go and
I got no monitor yet.

--

Super Mappy wrote:
> Tempest
> Tempest Tubes
> Arkanoid
> Tac/Scan
> Wall Crash
> Riddle of Pythagarus
> Homo (Clone of Goindoi)
> Kick (I know this game uses a cylindrical roller, but I'll give it a
> shot)
> Quester
> Bomb Bee
> Cutie Q
> Gee Bee
> Gigas Olgas
> Gigas Mark II
> Super Breakout
>
> if anyone know of any I've missed, please let me know.

Major Havoc also used a cylindrical roller.

usenet <reply.in.newsgroup@bitbucket.dave.null.net> wrote in a cheese
induced coma news:5PF7e.4960$AE6.1778@tornado.texas.rr.com:

> Major Havoc also used a cylindrical roller.

Very true, but unfortunetly it's a horizontal game and wont be in the
Tempest Cab.

--

Super Mappy wrote:
> What was that power strip that is mentioned here from time to time
> where you can turn on all your equipment? If I remember correctly it
> activates monitors, ATX power supplies, etc. that have soft power
> switches (the momentary connection type).

Have you tried just jamming the switch closed and then powering it off
and on with the power cord? I've found that permanently closing these
switches usually makes the unit act like you want it to.

Slor thought about it a bit, then said...
> Despite all prevention efforts, Slor <slor@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Despite all prevention efforts, Kevin Steele
> > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in
> >
> >> I guess we must be using different monitors, since none (zilch, nada)
> >> of the PC monitors I've ever worked with has been unable to be
> >> powered-up simply by plugging it in once you've pushed the power
> >> button once.
> >
> > Must be. Most of my experience has been with Dell monitors (with a
> > ViewSonic or MAG here and there) over recent years. I looked at using
> > a typical 15" Dell Trinitron for the bartop, but once you leave it off
> > unplugged for so long it "forgets" it was on, so turning on the power
> > bar doesn't get you much. I know there are some out there that still
> > use the manual switch, but they at least don't seem common where I am.
>
> I looked around today, and I did see a couple Dells that have the physical
> switch. Too bad none of them are mine or, apparently, Mappy's... Remember
> how cool the momentary switches on things seemed before MAME(tm) cabs came
> into play? :)

Even the monitors that I've used with momentary switches seemed to
remember their power settings if the power was unplugged. Perhaps I've
just been lucky - it sounds like a good poll question for RetroBlast!

--

Despite all prevention efforts, pinballjim@hotmail.com wrote in

> Super Mappy wrote:
>> What was that power strip that is mentioned here from time to time
>> where you can turn on all your equipment? If I remember correctly it
>> activates monitors, ATX power supplies, etc. that have soft power
>> switches (the momentary connection type).
>
> Have you tried just jamming the switch closed and then powering it off
> and on with the power cord? I've found that permanently closing these
> switches usually makes the unit act like you want it to.

Interesting. I've never tried that with a monitor, but I did (by accident)
one time with a PC... It would power on and then power back off after a
few seconds. I thought I had a serious motherboard issue until I realized
I had permanently shorted a momentary on/off switch. :)

--
Slor