PC problem -- could be the HD, could be the CD-Drive...

RyanH

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005

Well, about July of last year my computer just stopped working. I
don’t know what it was, but the tower would power on, and nothing
would come on the screen. Everything seemed to be working fine, except
nothing was on the screen. So we ended up buying a new computer.

Now though, I’d like to try to restore the old computer (everything in
it is intact) and use it as my own, and leave the family computer to
the family.

The only problem, is that when I hook the old tower to the moniter,
and plug all of the necessities in, the computer powers on but nothing
happens on the screen, much like before. I’ve tried a different hard
drive, but since it’s formatted with Windows 98, it won’t work either.
I’m not sure now if I’ve plugged the CD-Rom drive and the hard drive
in the right way, either. Basically I just want to start clean, and
wipe the HD if I can, too.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-PC-problem-HD-CD-Drive-ftopict542621.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710619

Take the machine to your friendly computer dealer and ask him
to have a look at it. He has the experience and the various bits
and pieces to find out within a few minutes if it is the motherboard,
the power supply, the BIOS or the video adapter. It is unlikely
to be the CD drive, and with his experience he would unplug
it immediately to demonstrate that it is something else.