USB PCI card

June 6, 2005 5:47:37 PM

I added a generic PCI card to my SOYO P4i865 mobo running under XPPro.

This card is not working nor is it showing up in Device Manger. The onboard
USB is working fine. I've checked the BIOS and all the appropriate devices
are enabled.

When I check my system using Everest, I have the following entry under PCI
devices:

Device Description
ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller

I added this using the vendor supplied CD-ROM.

Before I start messing inside the machine again, does anyone have any
suggestion what might be wrong?

TIA,

Wayne

More about : usb pci card

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:47:38 PM

Change it to a different slot. If it's a USB 2.0 card, the drivers are
included in SP2.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I added a generic PCI card to my SOYO P4i865 mobo running under XPPro.
>
> This card is not working nor is it showing up in Device Manger. The
> onboard USB is working fine. I've checked the BIOS and all the appropriate
> devices are enabled.
>
> When I check my system using Everest, I have the following entry under PCI
> devices:
>
> Device Description
> ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
>
> I added this using the vendor supplied CD-ROM.
>
> Before I start messing inside the machine again, does anyone have any
> suggestion what might be wrong?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wayne

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:03:55 PM

Cari,

Thanx for the suggestion. I didn't think about switching slots.

I switched slots and on booting my SP2 found the new USB 2.0 hardware and
installed the drivers. However, I think the problem may have been that the
card wasn't fully seated in the original slot because when I removed the
retaining screw the card almost fell out.

Wayne

> Change it to a different slot. If it's a USB 2.0 card, the drivers are
> included in SP2.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>I added a generic PCI card to my SOYO P4i865 mobo running under XPPro.
>>
>> This card is not working nor is it showing up in Device Manger. The
>> onboard USB is working fine. I've checked the BIOS and all the
>> appropriate devices are enabled.
>>
>> When I check my system using Everest, I have the following entry under
>> PCI devices:
>>
>> Device Description
>> ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
>>
>> I added this using the vendor supplied CD-ROM.
>>
>> Before I start messing inside the machine again, does anyone have any
>> suggestion what might be wrong?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Wayne

June 6, 2005 8:49:03 PM

Possible it wasn't seated correctly, also possible that the slot you chose
was already allocated to something else... and the only way to find that out
is to read the motherboard manual very carefully.

Glad it's working!
--

news:o f5wkLtaFHA.740@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Cari,
>
> Thanx for the suggestion. I didn't think about switching slots.
>
> I switched slots and on booting my SP2 found the new USB 2.0 hardware and
> installed the drivers. However, I think the problem may have been that the
> card wasn't fully seated in the original slot because when I removed the
> retaining screw the card almost fell out.
>
> Wayne
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Change it to a different slot. If it's a USB 2.0 card, the drivers are
>> included in SP2.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>I added a generic PCI card to my SOYO P4i865 mobo running under XPPro.
>>>
>>> This card is not working nor is it showing up in Device Manger. The
>>> onboard USB is working fine. I've checked the BIOS and all the
>>> appropriate devices are enabled.
>>>
>>> When I check my system using Everest, I have the following entry under
>>> PCI devices:
>>>
>>> Device Description
>>> ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
>>>
>>> I added this using the vendor supplied CD-ROM.
>>>
>>> Before I start messing inside the machine again, does anyone have any
>>> suggestion what might be wrong?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Wayne

September 15, 2005 12:27:00 PM

>possible that the slot you chose was already allocated to something else

Even if there is no card in the slot?

> Possible it wasn't seated correctly, also possible that the slot you chose
> was already allocated to something else... and the only way to find that
> out is to read the motherboard manual very carefully.
>
> Glad it's working!
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:o f5wkLtaFHA.740@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Cari,
>>
>> Thanx for the suggestion. I didn't think about switching slots.
>>
>> I switched slots and on booting my SP2 found the new USB 2.0 hardware and
>> installed the drivers. However, I think the problem may have been that
>> the card wasn't fully seated in the original slot because when I removed
>> the retaining screw the card almost fell out.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> Change it to a different slot. If it's a USB 2.0 card, the drivers are
>>> included in SP2.
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:27:01 PM

There are only 4 PCI hardware interrupts, (in normal PC's) and they are
shared with other hardware on the motherboard. What slot and hardware
uses what PCI interrupt for it's Primary interrupt and it's secondary
interrupt will be contained in the MB manual or available from the MB
manufacturer. Two "buss hogs" using the same PCI interrupt as primary
will cause problems. Try moving the card or learn more about the
motherboard.

!