Many people use these boards?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 7:39:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
support or does no one use them?

More about : people boards

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 9:26:22 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:39:42 -0600, Xignals <xignals> wrote:

>Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
>support or does no one use them?

Um....."Yes"?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 2:06:31 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:39:42 -0600, Xignals wrote:

> Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
> support or does no one use them?

I've had a P4DCE+ board for nearly three years now and it's been flawless -
a pleasure and a joy to own and to use. Whenever I next upgrade, my next
motherboard will also be a Supermicro. Big thumbs up from me...
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:26:22 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:39:42 -0600, Xignals <xignals> wrote:
>
>>Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
>>support or does no one use them?
>
>Um....."Yes"?

to both? I guess so.

A little pricey for the average Joe (with a few rare exceptions) but
generally a good value for ppl looking for "server" or "workstation"
grade stuff. Also generally exceptionally high quality (also with a
few rare exceptions).

The "target audience" for "server" platforms, Supermicro buyers tend
therefore to be more savvy and can troubleshoot for themselves or
avoid problems altogether that come from using low end gear (including
problem peripherals etc. which are sometimes incorrectly blamed on the
mobo or OS or directed to a mobo group).

Just MHO
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:40:02 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:40:01 GMT, Curious George <cg@email.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:26:22 -0500, daytripper
><day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:39:42 -0600, Xignals <xignals> wrote:
>>
>>>Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
>>>support or does no one use them?
>>
>>Um....."Yes"?
>
>to both? I guess so.
>
>A little pricey for the average Joe (with a few rare exceptions) but
>generally a good value for ppl looking for "server" or "workstation"
>grade stuff. Also generally exceptionally high quality (also with a
>few rare exceptions).
>
>The "target audience" for "server" platforms, Supermicro buyers tend
>therefore to be more savvy and can troubleshoot for themselves or
>avoid problems altogether that come from using low end gear (including
>problem peripherals etc. which are sometimes incorrectly blamed on the
>mobo or OS or directed to a mobo group).
>
>Just MHO

That's mho as well...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:44:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

You betcha on that! I just built a P8SAA - SC742T-550 system for myself and
I couldn't be happier. It's been humming 24/7 for more than six months with
out an issue. Also these new Mid-Tower Chassis that SM is producing are
incredible.

DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

There is no way to know for sure...but I'd guess it's the former, they're
that good. Also just posted was the comment that people here seem to know
what they're doing, is also true. I did have a minor issue with the
assigenment of the LED lights for HDD activity on their Chassis backplane,
but if I really wanted to solve the issue I could. I've just not put the
time in, that's all. No big deal.

DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:52:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Wow, that's more like it! Just ordered a X5DPL-igm board and
SC742i-450 case to go with it. Thanks for the response!

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:52:13 GMT, "DER" <rigela9@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There is no way to know for sure...but I'd guess it's the former, they're
>that good. Also just posted was the comment that people here seem to know
>what they're doing, is also true. I did have a minor issue with the
>assigenment of the LED lights for HDD activity on their Chassis backplane,
>but if I really wanted to solve the issue I could. I've just not put the
>time in, that's all. No big deal.
>
>DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2005 12:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Best wishes on you new system. I have a question. What application are you
going to put this system to?

DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2005 12:30:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Going to be a web server and FTP site running 2000 server. Wish I
could put 2003 on it but the web software has not been updated to run
on 2003.

Looking forward to putting this to good use!

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:30:08 GMT, "DER" <rigela9@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Best wishes on you new system. I have a question. What application are you
>going to put this system to?
>
>DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2005 7:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Sounds good! I believe you picked a good Mobo/Chassis combo to use for that
kind of application.

DER
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2005 3:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I bought a couple of Supermicro Boards on the strength of the company's then
listing in the back of the excellent Scott Mueller's Upgrading & Repairing
PCs book that said they manufacture "extremely high quality motherboards",
or some such, and as I already thought he knew what he was talking about and
went on to single Sony out for similar "high quality" praise I thought,
right, that's it - Supermicro its got to be. Though they were only budget
boards - a P5MMA98 and then a bit later a 370 something or other, they both
only lasted two or three years - the first just died and had some ambiguity
with the manual as to what clock speeds it could truly support, and the
later board works ok but is now suffering extreme clock drift and a new
battery isn't the answer. I was going to go for a new super duper
Supermicro board again but then the it dawned on me that IT stuff
depreciates so fast, why throw all that money away?? I bought a
budget-budget-brand motherboard and processor - an Asrock or somesuch and I
think an AMD processor and nearly 18 months on its still working fine. I
think IT stuff has advanced, rather like cars and most other things in fact,
to the point that the vast majority of it is built to a robust standard
irrespective of what brand badge you might want to pay that little extra
for.

!