Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 2, 2005 1:38:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I've got a customer who upgraded three systems using another brand
motherboard, stuck in 4 gig of ram, and ran smack into the
"motherboard mapping stuff into the memory space" bit.

Having used Supermicro boards before and having been satisfied with
them; also, knowing that Supermicro has Xeon boards that can support
up to 16GB of memory; and not being able to get a straight answer from
our local Intel rep, I ask this:

Would a server board (say, built around an E7501 chipset) exhibit the
same problem? If one were to put 4GB of memory in, would the system
actually see (and use) 4 gigs?

More about : stupid question

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 2, 2005 2:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:38:52 GMT, joeschmuck@KILL.SPAMFORD.WALLACE.NOW (Joe
Schmuckatelli) wrote:

>I've got a customer who upgraded three systems using another brand
>motherboard, stuck in 4 gig of ram, and ran smack into the
>"motherboard mapping stuff into the memory space" bit.
>
>Having used Supermicro boards before and having been satisfied with
>them; also, knowing that Supermicro has Xeon boards that can support
>up to 16GB of memory; and not being able to get a straight answer from
>our local Intel rep, I ask this:
>
>Would a server board (say, built around an E7501 chipset) exhibit the
>same problem? If one were to put 4GB of memory in, would the system
>actually see (and use) 4 gigs?

IO is memory mapped, something has to give.
If this is Windows, only PAE Mode will let you see more than ~3.5GB of memory.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 5, 2005 8:39:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:17:41 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>IO is memory mapped

I understand that. I didn't know whether or not the server chipsets
(as opposed to those used in desktop boards) were able to map memory
around the areas reserved for IO. I gather you're saying the answer
is no.
!