DVD-ROM as slave won't play DVD, computer freezes

I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide and
moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play dvd's.
it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this
5 answers Last reply
More about slave play computer freezes

    Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
    >and
    > moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
    > dvd's.
    > it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

    Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
    the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
    > >and
    > > moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
    > > dvd's.
    > > it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

    Disconnect the old DVD Rom. Does everything seem to work correctly without
    it?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Lunker74" <Lunker74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
    > the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
    >> >and
    >> > moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
    >> > dvd's.
    >> > it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

    yes, everything runs fine without the dvd rom connected. Everything runs
    fine while it is connected too...except for dvd's in this drive. cd's
    cd-rom's all work okay in this drive, just not dvd's. I tried it alone
    also...worked okay

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Disconnect the old DVD Rom. Does everything seem to work correctly without
    > it?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Lunker74" <Lunker74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
    > > the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You might try an uninstall and reinstall of your DVD decoding software with
    both drives in place... XP certainly does not have a problem per se with
    multiple DVD drives - in my husband's PC there is a CD burner, a DVD Rom and
    a DVD burner and it runs with no problems, but occasionally you will see
    postings where one drive simply does not like to co-exist with another.
    There does not seem to be any real reason why, just one of those things.
    --

    > yes, everything runs fine without the dvd rom connected. Everything runs
    > fine while it is connected too...except for dvd's in this drive. cd's
    > cd-rom's all work okay in this drive, just not dvd's. I tried it alone
    > also...worked okay
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Disconnect the old DVD Rom. Does everything seem to work correctly
    >> without
    >> it?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Lunker74" <Lunker74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is
    >> > now
    >> > the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes

DVD DVD Drives Windows XP