DVD-ROM as slave won't play DVD, computer freezes

Tags:
  • DVD
  • DVD Drives
  • Windows XP
June 6, 2005 7:54:01 PM

I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide and
moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play dvd's.
it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

More about : dvd rom slave play dvd computer freezes

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:50:53 PM

Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
>and
> moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
> dvd's.
> it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:01:02 PM

Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
> >and
> > moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
> > dvd's.
> > it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

June 7, 2005 9:17:13 PM

Disconnect the old DVD Rom. Does everything seem to work correctly without
it?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Lunker74" <Lunker74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
> the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently installed a new dvd writer as the master on teh secondary ide
>> >and
>> > moved teh dvd-rom to the slave. the slave drive will no longer play
>> > dvd's.
>> > it will play cd's/rom. how do i fix this

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:06:01 PM

yes, everything runs fine without the dvd rom connected. Everything runs
fine while it is connected too...except for dvd's in this drive. cd's
cd-rom's all work okay in this drive, just not dvd's. I tried it alone
also...worked okay

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Disconnect the old DVD Rom. Does everything seem to work correctly without
> it?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Lunker74" <Lunker74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes. The new DVD writer is master and the previous master(DVD ROM) is now
> > the slave. as soon as i eject the disc the computer unfreezes
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Check the jumpers on the rear of the drive are configured correctly.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Lunker" <Lunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:30:10 PM

You might try an uninstall and reinstall of your DVD decoding software with
both drives in place... XP certainly does not have a problem per se with
multiple DVD drives - in my husband's PC there is a CD burner, a DVD Rom and
a DVD burner and it runs with no problems, but occasionally you will see
postings where one drive simply does not like to co-exist with another.
There does not seem to be any real reason why, just one of those things.
--

!