Harddrive Fan running full force

My Hard drive seems to be very loud lately. I am guessing it's the fan.
What could be wrong or is it suppose to be this loud? Thanks

Go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and find, download and
install their utilities. Run it.... you want to make sure your drive isn't
in its terminal stages.

Backup those important files just to be safe. Puttng them on CDs/DVDs now
is a lot easier than after the drive fails.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"mybeebug" <mybeebug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Hard drive seems to be very loud lately. I am guessing it's the fan.
> What could be wrong or is it suppose to be this loud? Thanks

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:19:15 -0700, "mybeebug"
<mybeebug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My Hard drive seems to be very loud lately. I am guessing it's the fan.
>What could be wrong or is it suppose to be this loud? Thanks

By "hard drive" do you mean the big box that houses your floppy drive,
cd-rom and has at least a power button? (This is the computer case or
just computer.) If so, you probably need to unplug it all, take it
outside, then use a can of compressed air and perhaps a soft brush to
clean the dust out of it. Yes, this means taking the case apart. If the
fan(s) still are making noises, then you'd need to replace them.

Or just take it to a computer shop so they can clean it and possibly
replace any fans that are failing.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Hard drives do not normally have fans! Either you are mistaken and you are
describing the PC as the hard drive, then it could be that one of the
multiple fans is beginning to fail. You would need to replace the failing
fan soon.

Possible fans:

Power Supply unit fan
CPU fan
misc. motherboard fan (usually on chipset modules)
extra case fans.

However, if you are really stating that the hard drive fan is noisy, then
you will need to replace that "add-on" fan with the exacat same fan.