Ok so this is kinda weird but I need to place an order for computer parts
today and I don't have my full set for 0.95 yet.

Can anyone tell me exactly how much drive space a full set of 0.95 roms -
no CHDs, with all the extras takes up? (By extras I mean samples,
marquees, artwork etc) I'm hoping I can get it on a 20GB drive along with
windows, front end etc. If so I can have an exclusively MAME drive which
will eventually go into a cab. If not then I need to order a 40GB drive
today.

Thanks
Neil

i think that it will take about 4 dvd's for roms, and extra. (3 to 4
normally), and 6-7 dvd'S for .chd

lets say 4 dvd's at 4.7gig = almost 19 gigs. U better order a 40gig,
propbably the same price as a 20gig these da and you will a bit a space
or the next release and for windows, and all your stuff.

Erik's Boot Disk wrote:
> Dire Radiant wrote:
>
> > Ok so this is kinda weird but I need to place an order for computer
parts
> > today and I don't have my full set for 0.95 yet.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me exactly how much drive space a full set of 0.95
roms -
> > no CHDs, with all the extras takes up? (By extras I mean samples,
> > marquees, artwork etc) I'm hoping I can get it on a 20GB drive
along with
> > windows, front end etc. If so I can have an exclusively MAME drive
which
> > will eventually go into a cab. If not then I need to order a 40GB
drive
> > today.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Neil
>

> 12-13 gigs max

20GB will NOT be enough! You'll need at least 40GB. FYI for above post,
I just bought a 250GB WD 8MB cache at Circuit City for $79.99 after
rebate.

John

Dire Radiant wrote:

> Ok so this is kinda weird but I need to place an order for computer parts
> today and I don't have my full set for 0.95 yet.
>
> Can anyone tell me exactly how much drive space a full set of 0.95 roms -
> no CHDs, with all the extras takes up? (By extras I mean samples,
> marquees, artwork etc) I'm hoping I can get it on a 20GB drive along with
> windows, front end etc. If so I can have an exclusively MAME drive which
> will eventually go into a cab. If not then I need to order a 40GB drive
> today.
>
> Thanks
> Neil

12-13 gigs max

ugo_lavoie@hotmail.com wrote:

> i think that it will take about 4 dvd's for roms, and extra. (3 to 4
> normally), and 6-7 dvd'S for .chd
>
> lets say 4 dvd's at 4.7gig = almost 19 gigs. U better order a 40gig,
> propbably the same price as a 20gig these da and you will a bit a space
> or the next release and for windows, and all your stuff.

Just wait for a sale or special. MicroCenter often has 150 gig drives
for $99. IMO 20 gig is too small.
--
FSogol

> Ok so this is kinda weird but I need to place an order for computer parts
> today and I don't have my full set for 0.95 yet.
>
> Can anyone tell me exactly how much drive space a full set of 0.95 roms -
> no CHDs, with all the extras takes up? (By extras I mean samples,
> marquees, artwork etc) I'm hoping I can get it on a 20GB drive along with
> windows, front end etc. If so I can have an exclusively MAME drive which
> will eventually go into a cab. If not then I need to order a 40GB drive
> today.
>
> Thanks
> Neil

MAME 0.95 ROMs 11.7 gb
MAME 0.95 Extras 1.08 gb

So, as Erik's Boot Disk said, approximately 13 gb.

Rick N

40 gig drives just don't make sense. Idealy you shouldn't pay more than
a dollar per gig. I'd recomend alteast an 80gig (retail), but you could
find a better deal on a larger drive on the internet. Try
www.newegg.com.

Thanks to everyone who replied (I said it was weird!) As for things like
console emulators they aren't going in the cab. They're already safely
tucked away in the media center PC in the living room (2x200GB drives in
there!)

I have no real interest in the CHD games either so that isn't a factor and
no I dont believe you can buy 40GB drives anymore but I was offered a used
one for $20. Think I'll snap it up anyway. At 50c a gig you cant go wrong!

The fact is I have a couple of lower capacity drives sitting around doing
nothing so I thought I'd use those. 40GB should be plenty of space for
what I want to do with it. Thanks again (for the wildly conflicting
opinions...lol)

--
Neil

Dire Radiant <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in

> Ok so this is kinda weird but I need to place an order for computer parts
> today and I don't have my full set for 0.95 yet.
>
> Can anyone tell me exactly how much drive space a full set of 0.95 roms -
> no CHDs, with all the extras takes up? (By extras I mean samples,
> marquees, artwork etc) I'm hoping I can get it on a 20GB drive along with
> windows, front end etc. If so I can have an exclusively MAME drive which
> will eventually go into a cab. If not then I need to order a 40GB drive
> today.

I didn't think you could even buy new 20 or 40 GB drives these days. Which is
just as well since IMHO you would want at least 60 or 80 anyhow. Never know
what else you want to stick on that drive. Have you thought about Daphne?
ZSNES? Visual Pinball/PinMAME?

FSogol's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:

www.mwave.com has 200gig Western Digital's for $99

On 2005-04-14, Rick Nielsen <nielse16@msu.edu> wrote:

> MAME 0.95 ROMs 11.7 gb
> MAME 0.95 Extras 1.08 gb
>
> So, as Erik's Boot Disk said, approximately 13 gb.

These are my figures too, quite what hat all those people talking
about 40 gigs are pulling their figures from I don't know.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Ian Rawlings's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> On 2005-04-14, Rick Nielsen <nielse16@msu.edu> wrote:
>> MAME 0.95 ROMs 11.7 gb
>> MAME 0.95 Extras 1.08 gb
>> So, as Erik's Boot Disk said, approximately 13 gb.
> These are my figures too, quite what hat all those people talking
> about 40 gigs are pulling their figures from I don't know.

For CHD games, approximately 29gigs. You guys forget to add the CHD's into
the mix