Printer Port Problem on Laptop

My laptop is connected to my desktop with a wireless card. I can access files
on the desktop and the internet. The printer connected to the desktop is also
added to the laptop and shows as shared The port assigned on the laptop
shared printer is the port on the desktop, instead of the wireless port. The
window to change the port setting will not allow me to change the port! So,
everytime I try to print to the shared printer from the remote laptop, the
signal is not sent to the wireless port and then to the printer, but to the
USB port on the laptop! Any ideas how to fix this problem? I have spent hours
trying to fix this to no avail. Thanks for whatever ideas you can offer.

I also have the same problem. Have tried everything. Will be watching for a
reply to your question. Good luck

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:09:01 -0700, chdiamo wrote:

> My laptop is connected to my desktop with a wireless card. I can access files
> on the desktop and the internet. The printer connected to the desktop is also
> added to the laptop and shows as shared The port assigned on the laptop
> shared printer is the port on the desktop, instead of the wireless port. The
> window to change the port setting will not allow me to change the port! So,
> everytime I try to print to the shared printer from the remote laptop, the
> signal is not sent to the wireless port and then to the printer, but to the
> USB port on the laptop! Any ideas how to fix this problem? I have spent hours
> trying to fix this to no avail. Thanks for whatever ideas you can offer.

The printer on the desktop should be set up as a shared printer. The laptop
should point to a shred network printer (not to any port). It seems from
your description that when you installed the printer on your laptop you
said it was on a port rather than on a network share.

Thanks for your reply. I definately indicated IP Port but still gives me the
usb warning

"BobC" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:09:01 -0700, chdiamo wrote:
>
> > My laptop is connected to my desktop with a wireless card. I can access files
> > on the desktop and the internet. The printer connected to the desktop is also
> > added to the laptop and shows as shared The port assigned on the laptop
> > shared printer is the port on the desktop, instead of the wireless port. The
> > window to change the port setting will not allow me to change the port! So,
> > everytime I try to print to the shared printer from the remote laptop, the
> > signal is not sent to the wireless port and then to the printer, but to the
> > USB port on the laptop! Any ideas how to fix this problem? I have spent hours
> > trying to fix this to no avail. Thanks for whatever ideas you can offer.
>
> The printer on the desktop should be set up as a shared printer. The laptop
> should point to a shred network printer (not to any port). It seems from
> your description that when you installed the printer on your laptop you
> said it was on a port rather than on a network share.

Hello llan.sue and Bob C. Problem solved! Here was the solution, I hope it
will help you. I hooked the printer directly to the laptop, the computer that
will be accessing it from the wireless network. I put the installation CD in
the CD drive and removed ALL the software for the Hp 3320 printer using the
"Remove All" option from the CD. I rebooted. Then, with the printer still
connected to the laptop, I went to the Hp site and downloaded the latest
drivers. Even though I had done all this before, it was not with the printer
directly connected to the laptop. During the installation of software on the
laptop, I assigned the port to be used by the laptop to access the network.
Then I did the same with the desktop, hooking the printer directly to the
desktop and uninstalling and reinstalling the software FROM THE HP CD and
redownloading and reinstalling the latest drivers (after rebooting from the
uninstall). Now, the printer can be accessed from the laptop via the wireless
network. MAKE SURE YOUR PRINTER IS CONNECTED TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER AND
UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE COMPLETE SOFTWARE PACKAGE and see if that
corrects your problem. It did mine. Good luck!

"llan.sue" wrote:

> I also have the same problem. Have tried everything. Will be watching for a
> reply to your question. Good luck
>
> "chdiamo" wrote:
>
> > My laptop is connected to my desktop with a wireless card. I can access files
> > on the desktop and the internet. The printer connected to the desktop is also
> > added to the laptop and shows as shared The port assigned on the laptop
> > shared printer is the port on the desktop, instead of the wireless port. The
> > window to change the port setting will not allow me to change the port! So,
> > everytime I try to print to the shared printer from the remote laptop, the
> > signal is not sent to the wireless port and then to the printer, but to the
> > USB port on the laptop! Any ideas how to fix this problem? I have spent hours
> > trying to fix this to no avail. Thanks for whatever ideas you can offer.

Hi both,

I've also solved my problem but in a different way. Made sure all firewalls
were disabled, pinged computers to make sure connection was correct. Both
computers had to have identical users and passwords set up. Then after
sharing printer on desktop, found the network set up under my workgroup and
when right clicked on the desktop icon and clicked connect it automatically
installed printer driver and voila!! I can now print from laptop. No port
problems!!