Tyan Trinity i875P memory problems after BIOS upgrade

Hello All!
Recently I upgraded BIOS on my Tyan Trinity i875P motherboard from R
1.04 to R 1.10. After the upgrade I noticed that the system restarts
from time to time.
I tested the memory with Tufftest PRO program and the test detected
memory errors. After that I flashed back BIOS R 1.04 and the memory
passes the test OK. (Unfortunately, with BIOS R 1.04 I have serious
stability problems with my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphic card). After
that I flashed again R 1.10 and the test detects faulty memory again.
Memory settings in BIOS are left default (by SPD).

Configuration of the system is:
Tyan Trinity 1875P (without RAID)
Intel 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood
2 X 512Mb Kingmax ECC RAM modules (DDR400)
Matrox Parhelia 128Mb graphic card
Western Digital Raptor 740GD SATA HDD
DVD ROM Plextor PX-116A

Any ideas about what could be wrong?
Thanks for help!
Zoran

hallo
first of all after bios update you have to load both defaults in the bios
setup, it resolves some problems.
but i run my trinity on bios rev 1.02 ..it runs stable and i got no problems

best regards

Peter

Zoran schrieb in Nachricht ...
>Hello All!
>Recently I upgraded BIOS on my Tyan Trinity i875P motherboard from R
>1.04 to R 1.10. After the upgrade I noticed that the system restarts
>from time to time.
>I tested the memory with Tufftest PRO program and the test detected
>memory errors. After that I flashed back BIOS R 1.04 and the memory
>passes the test OK. (Unfortunately, with BIOS R 1.04 I have serious
>stability problems with my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphic card). After
>that I flashed again R 1.10 and the test detects faulty memory again.
>Memory settings in BIOS are left default (by SPD).
>
>Configuration of the system is:
>Tyan Trinity 1875P (without RAID)
>Intel 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood
>2 X 512Mb Kingmax ECC RAM modules (DDR400)
>Matrox Parhelia 128Mb graphic card
>Western Digital Raptor 740GD SATA HDD
>DVD ROM Plextor PX-116A
>
>Any ideas about what could be wrong?
>Thanks for help!
>Zoran

Hello!
Thanks for your replay.
After I upgraded BIOS to R1.10 I cleared CMOS and loaded fail-safe
defaults.
I've tested the memory but found the same problem.
Loaded optimized defaults and tested again and the problem persists.

I've done some experiments with memory configurations: 512Mb (1
module), 1Gb (2 modules), 2Gb (4 modules). Modules were all of the
same type: 512Mb Kingmax ECC RAM modules (DDR400).
The result was that test finds bit error(s) during all zeros test
always and only in the word on the highest adress (fffffff, 1fffffff,
3fffffff respectively). Problem word was situated on different
modules. That makes me think that this is a BIOS R 1.10 problem, not
to mention that modules work fine with the BIOS R1.04.

By the way the story of my BIOS upgrades is following:
With BIOS R1.02 I couldn't make system boot Windows XP from the SATA
drive unless I put IDE controller in "SATA only" mode;
That problem was solved with BIOS R 1.04, but my Matrox Parhelia 128
was very unstable. The system was randomly restarting, even when I
booted clean DOS from the floppy. Tried another Parhelia 128 and had
the same problem. Borrowed ASUS Radeon 9600SE and Sapphire Radeon
9600XT, tested the in my system, and they work fine. I guess Tyan BIOS
R 1.04 and Parhelia BIOS (latest available) don't understand each
other very well.
I flashed BIOS R1.10, now Parhelia seems to be working OK, but now I
have the problem with the memory.

Best regards,
Zoran

"Lissy+Peter" <lissy.peter@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message news:<c4g75i$pe5$04$2@news.t-online.com>...
> hallo
> first of all after bios update you have to load both defaults in the bios
> setup, it resolves some problems.
> but i run my trinity on bios rev 1.02 ..it runs stable and i got no problems
>
> best regards
>
> Peter
>

> Zoran schrieb in Nachricht ...
> >Hello All!
> >Recently I upgraded BIOS on my Tyan Trinity i875P motherboard from R
> >1.04 to R 1.10. After the upgrade I noticed that the system restarts
> >from time to time.
> >I tested the memory with Tufftest PRO program and the test detected
> >memory errors. After that I flashed back BIOS R 1.04 and the memory
> >passes the test OK. (Unfortunately, with BIOS R 1.04 I have serious
> >stability problems with my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphic card). After
> >that I flashed again R 1.10 and the test detects faulty memory again.
> >Memory settings in BIOS are left default (by SPD).
> >
> >Configuration of the system is:
> >Tyan Trinity 1875P (without RAID)
> >Intel 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood
> >2 X 512Mb Kingmax ECC RAM modules (DDR400)
> >Matrox Parhelia 128Mb graphic card
> >Western Digital Raptor 740GD SATA HDD
> >DVD ROM Plextor PX-116A
> >
> >Any ideas about what could be wrong?
> >Thanks for help!
> >Zoran

Lostmind

What kind of powersupply do you have?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:36:25 -0800, Zoran wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> Zoran schrieb in Nachricht ...
>> >Hello All!
>> >Recently I upgraded BIOS on my Tyan Trinity i875P motherboard from R
>> >1.04 to R 1.10. After the upgrade I noticed that the system restarts
>> >from time to time.
>> >I tested the memory with Tufftest PRO program and the test detected
>> >memory errors. After that I flashed back BIOS R 1.04 and the memory
>> >passes the test OK. (Unfortunately, with BIOS R 1.04 I have serious
>> >stability problems with my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphic card). After
>> >that I flashed again R 1.10 and the test detects faulty memory again.
>> >Memory settings in BIOS are left default (by SPD).
>> >
>> >Configuration of the system is:
>> >Tyan Trinity 1875P (without RAID)
>> >Intel 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood
>> >2 X 512Mb Kingmax ECC RAM modules (DDR400)

Hello!
The PSU is Tagan 380W.
Regards,
Zoran

LostMind <iamlostmind@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.04.03.07.01.43.389036@hotmail.com>...
> What kind of powersupply do you have?

Hello all!
I've done an experiment with Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 memory (which
is on compatibility list for Trinity I875P).
I've tested 512Mb and 1Gb configurations (one and te wo modules) and
found the same problem. With BIOS R1.04 TuffTest pro reports no
problem, but with BIOS R1.10 reports bit error in the highest word in
the memory.
Zoran