MAC hardware locking

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.

How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?

tia

--

D@nnyBoy
Have you tried posting your problems

D@annyBoy wrote:
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?

CMD prompt (Start --> Run --> CMD --> OK)
Type in:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Press the ENTER key.

Find your wireless adapter and locate the "Physical Address" section. The
part that looks like:
XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Is your MAC address.

Also, your wireless router itself should be able to tell you what devices
are attached and possibly add them from its interface directly. Refer to
the manual.

--
<- Shenan ->

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Yes, MACs are unique.

However, since MAC addresses can be changed, and it's trivial to determine
which MAC addresses are able to connect to a wireless network, MAC filtering
is basically useless.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"D@annyBoy" <originaldannyboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia
>
> --
>
> D@nnyBoy
> Have you tried posting your problems
> not related to MS AntiSpyware to

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

D@annyBoy wrote:
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia

http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi
May be this can Help.
WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
IP & MAC - http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"atec" <atec77@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
> D@annyBoy wrote:
> > using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> > was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
> >
> > How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> > to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
> >
> > tia
> >
> http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

thanks to everyone's response
I'd stick to
if's aint broken, ......................

--

"D@annyBoy" <originaldannyboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia
>
> --
>
> D@nnyBoy
> Have you tried posting your problems
> not related to MS AntiSpyware to

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Use both. Both are easy to break but you keep the neighbors out of your
system with a high degree of certainly by using both. Someone that
really wants in can still break in, but they could also break into your
house
and just steal your computer too. :)

"D@annyBoy" <originaldannyboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia
>
> --
>
> D@nnyBoy
> Have you tried posting your problems