Wireless mice, recommendations?

I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
What do other users recommend?

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
14 answers Last reply
More about wireless mice recommendations

    Jonathon

    Go for the Logitech rechargeable mouse.. the mice that run on regular
    batteries get through them like all ....

    You can't run a regular cordless mouse on rechargeables either..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jonathan Sachs" <xxxxxxx@earthlink.not> wrote in message
    >I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
    > that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
    > What do other users recommend?
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    To be totally honest, I love Microsoft's Mice. Especially the ones with tilt
    wheel technology. They are comfortable, stylish and reliable.

    I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 and I haven't had to change
    the batteries in over 4 months.

    Also, the wheel on Microsoft mice is smooth, there isn't that "click" when
    scrolling up and down.

    If by chance you like that click, the go with a Logitech.

    I know a basic wireless Optical mouse from Microsoft is about $40 CDN or $30
    USD.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong
    "Jonathan Sachs" <xxxxxxx@earthlink.not> wrote in message
    >I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
    > that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
    > What do other users recommend?
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    I got my hands on a Microsoft Cordless Laptop mouse. So far, the battery
    has lasted several month (by replacing the USB receiver back into the
    storage area of the mouse -- turns off).

    Look for newer cordless mice that should come with an ON/OFF switching
    method.

    "Jonathan Sachs" <xxxxxxx@earthlink.not> wrote in message
    >I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
    > that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
    > What do other users recommend?
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    Well I use the Microsoft Comfort Edition Wireless Desktop and it's worked
    flawlessly.

    The Keyboard is slightly curved for comfort and it looks great. I like the
    new "home/End/Pgup/Pgdown" cluster, how it's in two columns instead of
    three. Also the keys are bouncy and easy to type.

    The mouse that it comes with is great (Sames as Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0)
    the tilt wheel technology makes browsing a lot easier.

    So if you were to ask me, Why a Microsoft mouse and not Logitech? Well I
    like microsoft's design, the scroll wheel is one of the only ones that
    scrolls smoothly without clicking and stiffness. Also the tilt wheel
    technology is a Microsoft Exclusive. You may not think it's a big deal, but
    once you use it, you won't want to go back.

    I personally am trying to save up for the Optical Desktop with Bluetooth.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong
    "Lawrence A. Wong" <lawrence-wong@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > To be totally honest, I love Microsoft's Mice. Especially the ones with
    > tilt wheel technology. They are comfortable, stylish and reliable.
    >
    > I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 and I haven't had to
    > change the batteries in over 4 months.
    >
    > Also, the wheel on Microsoft mice is smooth, there isn't that "click" when
    > scrolling up and down.
    >
    > If by chance you like that click, the go with a Logitech.
    >
    > I know a basic wireless Optical mouse from Microsoft is about $40 CDN or
    > $30 USD.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lawrence Wong
    > "Jonathan Sachs" <xxxxxxx@earthlink.not> wrote in message
    >>I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
    >> that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
    >> What do other users recommend?
    >>
    >> My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Lawrence A. Wong"

    Mike Hall wrote:

    >Go for the Logitech rechargeable mouse.. the mice that run on regular
    >batteries get through them like all ....

    I will take a look at the Microsoft mous

    The two recommendations for Logitech are discouraging, though, because
    the mouse I need to replace was a Logitech mouse (the one with
    batteries), and as far as I am concerned, it was a piece of trash.
    It's inexpressibly frustrating to try to use a mouse whose cursor
    skitters down the screen on its own instead of staying in one place
    when the mouse is stationary. The buttons were also unreliable;
    sometimes I had to punch them hard to make them work, which is the
    worst possible thing for my carpal tunnel syndrome.

    The only cure I found for the skittering cursor was to slam the mouse
    down flat on the desktop. Last night it broke when I did that.
    Predictable, but no great loss.

    At the moment I am using my old corded Logitech mouse, which has
    always performed faultlessly, except that the scroll wheel is too
    stiff for my taste.

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    Jonathon

    Logitech supply cordless mice ranging from $20 for the cheapest up to $119
    for the Bluetooth model.. Microsoft also have a similar product line..

    You get what you pay for in this life.. the cheapest of either make is not
    going to be the all time best ever mouse..

    Cordless mouse battery life is entirely dependant on how much you use it..
    if you use the mouse a great deal as I do, you will be better off with a
    rechargeable mouse..

    What I and others have found is that for any price level, Logitech quality
    is a little bit better.. I don't say this lightly, as for years, I
    recommended Microsoft mice and keyboards.. I have now switched to Logitech
    and do not regret the move.. my wife had an MS Mouse that lasted 2 months..
    we exchanged it at the store for a new one, which so far has lasted the
    course (fingers crossed)..

    --

    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Lawrence A. Wong"
    > <lawrence-wong@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>To be totally honest, I love Microsoft's Mice. Especially the ones with
    >>tilt
    >>wheel technology. They are comfortable, stylish and reliable....
    >>
    >>If by chance you like that click, the go with a Logitech.
    >
    > Mike Hall wrote:
    >
    >>Go for the Logitech rechargeable mouse.. the mice that run on regular
    >>batteries get through them like all ....
    >
    > I will take a look at the Microsoft mous
    >
    > The two recommendations for Logitech are discouraging, though, because
    > the mouse I need to replace was a Logitech mouse (the one with
    > batteries), and as far as I am concerned, it was a piece of trash.
    > It's inexpressibly frustrating to try to use a mouse whose cursor
    > skitters down the screen on its own instead of staying in one place
    > when the mouse is stationary. The buttons were also unreliable;
    > sometimes I had to punch them hard to make them work, which is the
    > worst possible thing for my carpal tunnel syndrome.
    >
    > The only cure I found for the skittering cursor was to slam the mouse
    > down flat on the desktop. Last night it broke when I did that.
    > Predictable, but no great loss.
    >
    > At the moment I am using my old corded Logitech mouse, which has
    > always performed faultlessly, except that the scroll wheel is too
    > stiff for my taste.
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:10:24 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >You get what you pay for in this life.. the cheapest of either make is not
    >going to be the all time best ever mouse....

    I'm trying to translate your comments into specific suggestions, and
    to reconcile them with what I know about how computer products are
    made.

    In any line of high-tech electronic products, designing and producing
    the custom-made electronics and software is a major part of the fixed
    cost of production... often the largest part. The fewer different
    parts you make, more you make of each one, the less each part costs,
    and the less each product costs.

    Thus, I would expect Logitech to put exactly the same electronics and
    firmware in every optical cordless mouse it makes, so far as it
    reasonably can. I don't know what exactly was wrong with mouse I had,
    but it appeared to be a basic problem with the motion sensing hardware
    or software -- something likely to be the same in every model.

    As I recall, I paid about $40 (discounted) for this mouse. I could
    have paid more if I wanted a rechargeable model or Bluetooth, but I
    would not have expected to get more quality; just more features. I
    would not think otherwise today unless I were given some reason to
    believe that typical computer industry economics do not apply.

    Maybe I just got a lemon, and if I buy another ten Logitech cordless
    mice they will all work perfectly forever. But having had a bad
    experience with one, I see no reason to believe that I will have a
    better experience with another if only I pay more for it.

    I'm really puzzled by your comment about battery life, because I never
    mentioned that as an issue. I wonder whether you're confusing my
    message with someone else's.

    At this point I'm inclined to buy a Microsoft mouse next time, and
    stay away from Logitech mice (at least cordless ones) for at least a
    few years, until I can safely bet that whatever caused the problem is
    no longer in use.

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    I've been using a wireless keyboard/mouse that I bought from
    CompUSA(house brand) a year ago. Battery in the mouse lasted six months;
    batteries in the keyboard lasted a year. Cost was $30. Keyboard has 19
    extra function keys on it, plus an extra shift-key to set up special
    commands in MS Office using the F1 - F12 keys.

    No clutter. Can control WMP from ten feet away using keyboard commands.

    Bill

    "Jonathan Sachs" <xxxxxxx@earthlink.not> wrote in message
    I need to replace my wireless mouse, and I'm looking for a product
    that works well and reliably, preferably without costing a fortune.
    What do other users recommend?

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:27:57 -0700, "Bill Sharpe"
    <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote:

    >I've been using a wireless keyboard/mouse that I bought from
    >CompUSA(house brand) a year ago. Battery in the mouse lasted six months;
    >batteries in the keyboard lasted a year. Cost was $30. Keyboard has 19
    >extra function keys on it, plus an extra shift-key to set up special
    >commands in MS Office using the F1 - F12 keys.

    Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I'll stick with Microsoft.
    CompUSA does not have the best reputation in the world, but the real
    problem with house brands is that there's no telling what you're
    getting when you buy one. The CompUSA house brand cordless mouse that
    I buy today may be from a completely different source than the one you
    bought six months ago. It might even be from a different source than
    one purchased at the same time from a different store. That limits the
    value of any recommendation, no matter how well-founded in one
    person's experience.

    I don't know whether CompUSA shifts suppliers frequently, but many
    house-brand retailers do, depending on who offers the best deal at the
    moment. In principle, their specifications and product testing ensure
    a reasonably consistent level of quality. But in principle, that's
    true of every product on the market. Nobody _wants_ to sell things
    that break!

    Jonathan Sachs Wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Lawrence A. Wong"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >To be totally honest, I love Microsoft's Mice. Especially the ones
    > with tilt
    > >wheel technology. They are comfortable, stylish and reliable....
    > >
    > >If by chance you like that click, the go with a Logitech.
    >
    > Mike Hall wrote:
    >
    > >Go for the Logitech rechargeable mouse.. the mice that run on regular
    > >batteries get through them like all ....
    >
    > I will take a look at the Microsoft mous
    >
    > The two recommendations for Logitech are discouraging, though, because
    > the mouse I need to replace was a Logitech mouse (the one with
    > batteries), and as far as I am concerned, it was a piece of trash.
    > It's inexpressibly frustrating to try to use a mouse whose cursor
    > skitters down the screen on its own instead of staying in one place
    > when the mouse is stationary. The buttons were also unreliable;
    > sometimes I had to punch them hard to make them work, which is the
    > worst possible thing for my carpal tunnel syndrome.
    >
    > The only cure I found for the skittering cursor was to slam the mouse
    > down flat on the desktop. Last night it broke when I did that.
    > Predictable, but no great loss.
    >
    > At the moment I am using my old corded Logitech mouse, which has
    > always performed faultlessly, except that the scroll wheel is too
    > stiff for my taste.
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    I have to reply to you on this one...I use logitech and never had
    trouble with them. The problem you described could be, if a roller
    ball, dirt. You have to maintain a mouse with a roller ball in it.
    Laser, no but even those can get dirty. No mouse will live forever and
    getting what you pay for isn't always so. My logitech cordless is 6
    years old and works like a charm. I paid 25 dollars for it. My
    batteries last about 5 to 6 months. My aunt bought a cordless microsoft
    mouse and paid close to 60 for it and it was junk. It's been replaced by
    2 mice since but i still have my logitech. Every mouse is different.
    Your old logitech mouse could have simply been gummed up. I clean my
    logitech roller ball mouse with q tip and rubbing alcohol once a month.
    Not that anyone cares. I do want a laser mouse but can't bring myself to
    get rid of my logitech. I will never recommend compaq for a mouse. I
    have thrown away 30 of those things for people. Now that i lost track
    of my point... oh well, if you don't like a mouse you get, take it back
    until you find one that fits you.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    "PCDaddy" <PCDaddy.1qjg6m@> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Sachs Wrote:
    >> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Lawrence A. Wong"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >To be totally honest, I love Microsoft's Mice. Especially the ones
    >> with tilt
    >> >wheel technology. They are comfortable, stylish and reliable....
    >> >
    >> >If by chance you like that click, the go with a Logitech.
    >>
    >> Mike Hall wrote:
    >>
    >> >Go for the Logitech rechargeable mouse.. the mice that run on regular
    >> >batteries get through them like all ....
    >>
    >> I will take a look at the Microsoft mous
    >>
    >> The two recommendations for Logitech are discouraging, though, because
    >> the mouse I need to replace was a Logitech mouse (the one with
    >> batteries), and as far as I am concerned, it was a piece of trash.
    >> It's inexpressibly frustrating to try to use a mouse whose cursor
    >> skitters down the screen on its own instead of staying in one place
    >> when the mouse is stationary. The buttons were also unreliable;
    >> sometimes I had to punch them hard to make them work, which is the
    >> worst possible thing for my carpal tunnel syndrome.
    >>
    >> The only cure I found for the skittering cursor was to slam the mouse
    >> down flat on the desktop. Last night it broke when I did that.
    >> Predictable, but no great loss.
    >>
    >> At the moment I am using my old corded Logitech mouse, which has
    >> always performed faultlessly, except that the scroll wheel is too
    >> stiff for my taste.
    >>
    >> My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
    >
    > I have to reply to you on this one...I use logitech and never had
    > trouble with them. The problem you described could be, if a roller
    > ball, dirt. You have to maintain a mouse with a roller ball in it.
    > Laser, no but even those can get dirty. No mouse will live forever and
    > getting what you pay for isn't always so. My logitech cordless is 6
    > years old and works like a charm. I paid 25 dollars for it. My
    > batteries last about 5 to 6 months. My aunt bought a cordless microsoft
    > mouse and paid close to 60 for it and it was junk. It's been replaced by
    > 2 mice since but i still have my logitech. Every mouse is different.
    > Your old logitech mouse could have simply been gummed up. I clean my
    > logitech roller ball mouse with q tip and rubbing alcohol once a month.
    > Not that anyone cares. I do want a laser mouse but can't bring myself to
    > get rid of my logitech. I will never recommend compaq for a mouse. I
    > have thrown away 30 of those things for people. Now that i lost track
    > of my point... oh well, if you don't like a mouse you get, take it back
    > until you find one that fits you.
    >

    > --
    > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    If you are going to buy a keyboard, mouse or a desktop combo, I would
    recommend Logitech over anything else on the shelves, especially Microsoft.
    The build quality of Microsoft mice and keyboards is nowhere near as good as
    Logitech.

    If you want a high performance mouse, look at the MX518 for corded, or the
    MX1000 Laser mouse for cordless. It uses a Lithium Ion rechargeable (MS
    does not), and has a much greater tracking ability than any LED based mouse.

    The Media Mouse is also a very cool mouse.

    The MX3100 desktop is a very rugged, high performance wireless desktop.
    Worth every penny if you are looking for an integrated desktop. It consists
    of the MX1000 mouse and the LX700 keyboard...both very solidly built and
    they are very battery friendly (something that you cant say about the
    Microsoft desktops).

    Bobby

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 01:09:26 +0100, PCDaddy <PCDaddy.1qjg6m@> wrote:

    >The problem you described could be, if a roller ball, dirt.

    This was an optical mouse. (I believe they use LEDs, not lasers.)

    >No mouse will live forever and
    >getting what you pay for isn't always so. My logitech cordless is 6
    >years old and works like a charm.

    Mine was just over a year old when it died, and no more than six
    months old when it started misbehaving. You're correct that individual
    specimens vary, and I might just have gotten a bad one. Even if that
    was so, the fact that I got a bad one indicates either extreme bad
    luck or poor quality control. I think the latter is more likely, so
    I'm going to try a different brand next time.

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Jonathan Sachs Wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 01:09:26 +0100, PCDaddy wrote:
    >
    > >The problem you described could be, if a roller ball, dirt.
    >
    > This was an optical mouse. (I believe they use LEDs, not lasers.)
    >
    > >No mouse will live forever and
    > >getting what you pay for isn't always so. My logitech cordless is 6
    > >years old and works like a charm.
    >
    > Mine was just over a year old when it died, and no more than six
    > months old when it started misbehaving. You're correct that individual
    > specimens vary, and I might just have gotten a bad one. Even if that
    > was so, the fact that I got a bad one indicates either extreme bad
    > luck or poor quality control. I think the latter is more likely, so
    > I'm going to try a different brand next time.
    >
    > My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    As well you should go with what you want. But let me say this, I would
    go with the first and not the latter. I get laughed at because
    everything i seem to buy is defective. Others will have the same exact
    item and have no problems, me, i always seem to get the defective one. I
    wouldn't say poor quality control is the issue. Any company that makes a
    million mice is going to have some misbehavers in the group. Nature is
    no better and humans make mistakes, humans make mice, mice make
    mistakes. I would say a nuclear power plant going balistic is bad
    quality control or a certain 100,000 tires that blow up when on a hot
    road, not a couple of mice. Don't forget, every company has it's caddys
    and pintos of it's products. You may have paid for a pinto. But once
    again, I have seen many microsoft mice and compaq mice get fed to the
    cat. But also once again, it's really up to what you think is good.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I wouldn't buy a CompUSA digital camera (assuming they made one) but 30
    bucks for a wireless keyboard/mouse combination is worth a shot. I'm
    well-satisfied with them both after a year. I've also used Microsoft,
    Dell and Logitech mice with tails with pretty good results from all. One
    of them -- I forget which -- started acting flaky after a couple of
    years.

    And, as another poster mentioned, you have to clean the mouse
    occasionally. How often depends on how dirty your desktop gets and how
    much you use the mouse.

    Bill

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:27:57 -0700, "Bill Sharpe"
    <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote:

    >I've been using a wireless keyboard/mouse that I bought from
    >CompUSA(house brand) a year ago. Battery in the mouse lasted six
    >months;
    >batteries in the keyboard lasted a year. Cost was $30. Keyboard has 19
    >extra function keys on it, plus an extra shift-key to set up special
    >commands in MS Office using the F1 - F12 keys.

    Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I'll stick with Microsoft.
    CompUSA does not have the best reputation in the world, but the real
    problem with house brands is that there's no telling what you're
    getting when you buy one. The CompUSA house brand cordless mouse that
    I buy today may be from a completely different source than the one you
    bought six months ago. It might even be from a different source than
    one purchased at the same time from a different store. That limits the
    value of any recommendation, no matter how well-founded in one
    person's experience.

    I don't know whether CompUSA shifts suppliers frequently, but many
    house-brand retailers do, depending on who offers the best deal at the
    moment. In principle, their specifications and product testing ensure
    a reasonably consistent level of quality. But in principle, that's
    true of every product on the market. Nobody _wants_ to sell things
    that break!

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

Wireless Mice Windows XP