K8w with an FX

hi,

I was wondering, can i use FX the cpu0 slot of the Motherboard and
then leave the second slot empty?

thank for the help,

dan
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Dan Irwin wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > I was wondering, can i use FX the cpu0 slot of the Motherboard and
    > then leave the second slot empty?
    >
    > thank for the help,
    >
    > dan

    A 2.2 GHz FX works just fine by itself in an S2882 and an S2885.

    However, if you don't already have the FX, consider buying a single
    Opty 24x so that you keep open the option of adding one more at a
    later date. If you buy an FX, then if you ever want to go dual
    you will have to remove the FX and install two new processors instead
    of just adding one more processor.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:07:43 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
    wrote:

    >A 2.2 GHz FX works just fine by itself in an S2882 and an S2885.

    So all 3 HT links are veryfied to be available and functional on a FX?
    The 2885 uses separate HT links for AGP and PCI-X.

    AMDs docs show only 1 link in the pinout of a FX, with NC for the
    others. Which can mean just about everything, from being not connected
    to being fully functional.

    Gruss, Andreas
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Andreas Kaiser wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:07:43 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>A 2.2 GHz FX works just fine by itself in an S2882 and an S2885.
    >

    > So all 3 HT links are veryfied to be available and functional on a FX?
    > The 2885 uses separate HT links for AGP and PCI-X.

    All I can say is that the FX works fine in an S2885.
    I haven't delved into the details of how the HT links are put
    to work on an the S2885, but with an FX in there, the AGP video
    card worked fine and a PCI-X SATA RAID card worked fine, along
    with a USB 2.0 card in the 32 bit PCI slot.

    That system normally uses dual Opty 240's - putting the FX
    in was just an experiment. We did the cpu swap and both
    W2K and the WXP 64 bit beta ran just fine. Later we popped
    the FX out and put the 240s back in and everything still
    ran fine.

    > AMDs docs show only 1 link in the pinout of a FX, with NC for the
    > others. Which can mean just about everything, from being not connected
    > to being fully functional.

    There are two types of HT links, Coherent and NonCoherent.
    So in whatever file you were looking at NC probably stood
    for NonCoherent.

    My understanding is ...
    1.) *ALL* of the AMD64 processors have three HT links.
    The Opty 1xx, AthlonFX, and Athlon64 all have three
    NonCoherent HT links. The Opty 2xx has one Coherent and two NC,
    while the Opty 8xx has two Coherent and one NC.

    2.) A coherent HT link can do anything - talk to the chipset,
    talk to another CPU, etc. However, an NC HT link can't
    be used for interprocessor links. Hence the number of
    Coherent HT Links determines whether the processor can
    do 2-way SMP, 4/8-way SMP, or neither.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Rob Stow wrote:

    > That system normally uses dual Opty 240's - putting the FX
    > in was just an experiment. We did the cpu swap and both
    > W2K and the WXP 64 bit beta ran just fine. Later we popped
    > the FX out and put the 240s back in and everything still
    > ran fine.

    Interesting note that I forgot to mention: the manual for
    the S2885 says that in order to use the RAM in the DIMM sockets
    by CPU1, you need to have CPUs installed in both socket CPU0
    and CPU1. Makes sense to me.

    However, in the FX/S2885 experiment, we popped out the two
    Opty 240s and put in the FX - but left all of the RAM alone.
    We expected the system to simply ignore the RAM besides the
    empty socket for CPU1. However, it wouldn't even post until
    we removed that RAM.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:39:43 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
    wrote:

    >There are two types of HT links, Coherent and NonCoherent.
    >So in whatever file you were looking at NC probably stood
    >for NonCoherent.

    In pinouts, NC generally means "not connected" or "do not connect".

    >while the Opty 8xx has two Coherent and one NC.

    The only way to connect 8 processors using only 2 coherent links each
    is a row or a circle ;-). Not the most efficient configuration I'd
    guess, and of course not the one AMD suggests. So obviously the 8xx
    Opterons have all 3 HT links enabled for coherency.

    Gruss, Andreas
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Andreas Kaiser wrote:
    > On Svn, 11 Apr 2004 13:39:43 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>There are two types of HT links, Coherent and NonCoherent.
    >>So in whatever file yov were looking at NC probably stood
    >>for NonCoherent.
    >

    > In pinovts, NC generally means "not connected" or "do not connect".

    I thovght yov were talking abovt the HT links, not individval
    pins.

    >>while the Opty 8xx has two Coherent and one NC.
    >

    > The only way to connect 8 processors vsing only 2 coherent links each
    > is a row or a circle ;-). Not the most efficient configvration I'd
    > gvess, and of covrse not the one AMD svggests. So obviovsly the 8xx
    > Opterons have all 3 HT links enabled for coherency.

    Dvh ! I had a bad blonde moment there between my vnion
    made memory long weekend alcohol. I made a very bad
    jvmp from the fact that yov /can/ vse NonCoherent links to
    things like the chipset to assvming that therefore there
    mvst be at least one NC link - completely ignoring my own
    knowledge that a coherent link can be vsed for things other
    than interprocessor commvnications.

    > Grvss, Andreas

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Andreas Kaiser wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:39:43 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>There are two types of HT links, Coherent and NonCoherent.
    >>So in whatever file you were looking at NC probably stood
    >>for NonCoherent.
    >

    > In pinouts, NC generally means "not connected" or "do not connect".
    >

    >>while the Opty 8xx has two Coherent and one NC.
    >

    > The only way to connect 8 processors using only 2 coherent links each
    > is a row or a circle ;-). Not the most efficient configuration I'd
    > guess, and of course not the one AMD suggests. So obviously the 8xx
    > Opterons have all 3 HT links enabled for coherency.

    And I must say that your failure to think incoherently
    on a long weekend reflects poorly on you. I, by contrast
    have spent my weekend the right way - I haven't made
    sense for three days now. I even put my coffee cup
    in the fridge then ran the microwave for 90 seconds
    to warm it up.

Tyan Motherboards