Help -- dvd burners appear as generic hard disks

And consequently I can't get most apps to burn to them -- only Nero and
Media player see the dvd burners. Windows explorer only seens generic
local disk. I'm sure there's a registry fix somewhere....
6 answers Last reply
More about help burners generic hard disks

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:48:47 +0100, Microwave wrote:

    > And consequently I can't get most apps to burn to them -- only Nero and
    > Media player see the dvd burners. Windows explorer only seens generic
    > local disk. I'm sure there's a registry fix somewhere....

    This is not unusual. Not all drives are supported by all burning
    applications including XP's burning component. A few years ago, I had to
    switch from Ahead's Nero/InCD package to Roxio for this reason.

    Sometimes an update in a software package will add support for a model.
    Other times a firmware update for the hardware comes through that allows it
    to be more compatible with a wider variety of applications.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:48:47 +0100, Microwave wrote:
    >

    >>And consequently I can't get most apps to burn to them -- only Nero and
    >>Media player see the dvd burners. Windows explorer only seens generic
    >>local disk. I'm sure there's a registry fix somewhere....
    >

    > This is not unusual. Not all drives are supported by all burning
    > applications including XP's burning component. A few years ago, I had to
    > switch from Ahead's Nero/InCD package to Roxio for this reason.
    >
    > Sometimes an update in a software package will add support for a model.
    > Other times a firmware update for the hardware comes through that allows it
    > to be more compatible with a wider variety of applications.

    I did upgrade the firmware, and Nero. Nero sees the drives fine, the
    disk management snapin sees them as DVDs, iTunes sees them as burners,
    only windows Explorer doesn't -- oh and his favourite app WinRip. I
    wouldn't care but it's for the uberBoss who's alarmed by not being able
    to soft eject or burn from WinRip (and the frequent warnings about low
    disk space on CDs/DVDs, but I disabled that in the registry.

    I wouldn't normally care but sometimes your users can't understand why
    if it was working properly at one point and as the IT person you can't
    make it work exactly the same way by fixing it. It's also disconcerting
    not being able to fix something. It's really only Windows Explorer
    that's the problem, and I'm sure there must be a registry setting that
    tells it that $drive is removable media....very frustrating, I must have
    spent 10 hours now trying to figure this one out....I've tried upgrading
    the ide drivers, removing and letting the hardware wizard refind the ide
    controller, the ide bus controller, the drives themselves....it's also
    not user specific as creating a new and logging in illicited the same
    odd behaviour.

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:36:48 +0100, Microwave wrote:

    > I did upgrade the firmware, and Nero. Nero sees the drives fine, the
    > disk management snapin sees them as DVDs, iTunes sees them as burners,
    > only windows Explorer doesn't -- oh and his favourite app WinRip. I
    > wouldn't care but it's for the uberBoss who's alarmed by not being able
    > to soft eject or burn from WinRip (and the frequent warnings about low
    > disk space on CDs/DVDs, but I disabled that in the registry.
    >
    > I wouldn't normally care but sometimes your users can't understand why
    > if it was working properly at one point and as the IT person you can't
    > make it work exactly the same way by fixing it. It's also disconcerting
    > not being able to fix something. It's really only Windows Explorer
    > that's the problem, and I'm sure there must be a registry setting that
    > tells it that $drive is removable media....very frustrating, I must have
    > spent 10 hours now trying to figure this one out....I've tried upgrading
    > the ide drivers, removing and letting the hardware wizard refind the ide
    > controller, the ide bus controller, the drives themselves....it's also
    > not user specific as creating a new and logging in illicited the same
    > odd behaviour.

    Move the line over a bit in regards to "your users." MVPs are not MS
    employees. We're users helping users.

    I understand your frustrations with this as I've faced it myself. Had a
    free Nero that came with a CD burner and a free Nero that came with the DVD
    burner that I mentioned before. Either drive worked fine on its own.

    Install both and things went a little off-kilter. After a bit of
    troubleshooting, the bottom line was the Nero software. Although free with
    a drive, upgrading a free version only supports one drive. Must purchase
    Nero to get support for more than one or settle for only one drive being
    correctly recognized. As I mentioned before the DVD burner was not fully
    supported in all of the Nero programs so made the switch to another brand
    of burning software.

    Don't know if the free upgraded Nero still imposes these limits. If it does
    and that's what you're using, that might be part of the problem. When I had
    to deal with it, I found that little tidbit about multiple drives
    documented in their online support area. If it still applies, that document
    will still be available on their site.

    The following MS Knowledge Base article may be of some help too:

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:36:48 +0100, Microwave wrote:
    >

    >>I did upgrade the firmware, and Nero. Nero sees the drives fine, the
    >>disk management snapin sees them as DVDs, iTunes sees them as burners,
    >>only windows Explorer doesn't -- oh and his favourite app WinRip. I
    >>wouldn't care but it's for the uberBoss who's alarmed by not being able
    >>to soft eject or burn from WinRip (and the frequent warnings about low
    >>disk space on CDs/DVDs, but I disabled that in the registry.
    >>
    >>I wouldn't normally care but sometimes your users can't understand why
    >>if it was working properly at one point and as the IT person you can't
    >>make it work exactly the same way by fixing it. It's also disconcerting
    >>not being able to fix something. It's really only Windows Explorer
    >>that's the problem, and I'm sure there must be a registry setting that
    >>tells it that $drive is removable media....very frustrating, I must have
    >>spent 10 hours now trying to figure this one out....I've tried upgrading
    >>the ide drivers, removing and letting the hardware wizard refind the ide
    >>controller, the ide bus controller, the drives themselves....it's also
    >>not user specific as creating a new and logging in illicited the same
    >>odd behaviour.
    >

    > Move the line over a bit in regards to "your users." MVPs are not MS
    > employees. We're users helping users.
    >
    > I understand your frustrations with this as I've faced it myself. Had a
    > free Nero that came with a CD burner and a free Nero that came with the DVD
    > burner that I mentioned before. Either drive worked fine on its own.
    >
    > Install both and things went a little off-kilter. After a bit of
    > troubleshooting, the bottom line was the Nero software. Although free with
    > a drive, upgrading a free version only supports one drive. Must purchase
    > Nero to get support for more than one or settle for only one drive being
    > correctly recognized. As I mentioned before the DVD burner was not fully
    > supported in all of the Nero programs so made the switch to another brand
    > of burning software.
    >
    > Don't know if the free upgraded Nero still imposes these limits. If it does
    > and that's what you're using, that might be part of the problem. When I had
    > to deal with it, I found that little tidbit about multiple drives
    > documented in their online support area. If it still applies, that document
    > will still be available on their site.
    >
    > The following MS Knowledge Base article may be of some help too:
    >
    > CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=316529

    I meant "your users" as to mean "one's users" -- i.e. I'm the support
    bod here and I have to make it nice for all the other employees here --
    "the users."

    I have a full version of Nero, purchased from Ahead.de for the machine
    in question. But even before I installed nero it was showing the drives
    as hard disks, not removable devices. I'm sure it's something to do with
    windows explorer and I have a sneaking suspicion it's a registry value,
    but haven't worked out which one yet.

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:16:01 +0100, Microwave wrote:

    > Sharon F wrote:
    >
    > I meant "your users" as to mean "one's users" -- i.e. I'm the support
    > bod here and I have to make it nice for all the other employees here --
    > "the users."
    >
    > I have a full version of Nero, purchased from Ahead.de for the machine
    > in question. But even before I installed nero it was showing the drives
    > as hard disks, not removable devices. I'm sure it's something to do with
    > windows explorer and I have a sneaking suspicion it's a registry value,
    > but haven't worked out which one yet.

    Understand your reference to users now. Did you check out that article I
    linked? It refers to registry keys related to burners. Here's the URL again
    in case you've cleared the other message from your newsreader already:

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

    May find some clues in this article as well:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    Also suggest checking the Nero site for recent updates.

    I currently have Roxio installed (and am looking forward to returning to
    Nero when this version conks out). With Roxio, the IMAPI service is not
    active. If I'm remembering correctly, Nero can co-exist with the service
    but you might try toggling it on or off (opposite of what you have at the
    moment) and restarting to see if there's any change.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:36:48 +0100, Microwave
    >Sharon F wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:48:47 +0100, Microwave wrote:

    >>>And consequently I can't get most apps to burn to them -- only Nero and
    >>>Media player see the dvd burners. Windows explorer only seens generic
    >>>local disk. I'm sure there's a registry fix somewhere....

    Rt-click on the drive, "Enable Recording"?

    Frankly, I prefer to keep that disabled - XP's native recordingblows
    chunks out both ends, combining as it does the disadvantages of RW
    disks and straight recordables.

    >I did upgrade the firmware

    Curiosity: Did this cause XP to "lose a life" (activation) on the
    basis your optical drive had "changed"? There's no UI to determine
    this in XP, you'd have to use Licenturion's XPInfo tool.

    >only windows Explorer doesn't -- oh and his favourite app WinRip. I
    >wouldn't care but it's for the uberBoss who's alarmed by not being able
    >to soft eject or burn from WinRip

    Does WinRip care aboutwhat Explorer sees? Most apps don't

    >It's really only Windows Explorer that's the problem, and I'm
    >sure there must be a registry setting that tells it that $drive is
    >removable media....very frustrating

    Odd indeed. Seeing a writer ans a ROM is common -and is the problem I
    thought you had -but seeing it as a HD is odd. I'd suspect misapplied
    settings dueto drive letter chess; is there a HD volume orLAN share
    mapped over the writer's drive letter?

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

DVD Burner Hard Drives Windows XP