No POST on s2460

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 8:28:00 AM

Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.

Happy happy.

One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)

With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a steady
signal, full on power light.

As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is off,
not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.

I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
away with it. (Or fry further)

Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks,
Jon

More about : post s2460

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 11:07:37 AM

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> writes:

> Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
>
> Happy happy.
>
> One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
>
> With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a steady
> signal, full on power light.
>
> As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
> lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is off,
> not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.
>
> I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
> due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
> away with it. (Or fry further)
>
> Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
> with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Leave it on!

If it is anything like my machine it could take 60sec/GB of RAM.
During that time it is writing zeros to the ram to prepare for ECC.
It scared me too...
Richard
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 5:41:54 PM

> Leave it on!
>
> If it is anything like my machine it could take 60sec/GB of RAM.
> During that time it is writing zeros to the ram to prepare for ECC.
> It scared me too...
> Richard

only 128 mb of Ram, though?

Still scared, but trying it as soon as I power off this machine I'm on ...
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 5:54:01 PM

> > Leave it on!
> >
> > If it is anything like my machine it could take 60sec/GB of RAM.
> > During that time it is writing zeros to the ram to prepare for ECC.
> > It scared me too...
> > Richard
>
> only 128 mb of Ram, though?
>
> Still scared, but trying it as soon as I power off this machine I'm on ...

No luck. Left it on for 3-5 minutes, everything stayed as is. Keyboard LEDs
all lit up, monitor receiving no signal, all fans running ok at least and I
didn't see or smell burning :)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 8:25:09 PM

try to do the following:
remove all cards also grafic card , remove all memory modules
then switch on and wait a while , after some time , a minute max , the board
should do some beeps ,
if not something with motherboard or cpu or powersupply is wrong..
if it beeps insert 1 memory module and switch on again , the board should do
after some time some other beeps
if not , memory module maybe bad
if yes try to insert grafic adapter , now there should be no beep but you
should get something on the display

J McK schrieb in Nachricht ...
>> > Leave it on!
>> >
>> > If it is anything like my machine it could take 60sec/GB of RAM.
>> > During that time it is writing zeros to the ram to prepare for ECC.
>> > It scared me too...
>> > Richard
>>
>> only 128 mb of Ram, though?
>>
>> Still scared, but trying it as soon as I power off this machine I'm on
>>

>No luck. Left it on for 3-5 minutes, everything stayed as is. Keyboard LEDs
>all lit up, monitor receiving no signal, all fans running ok at least and I
>didn't see or smell burning :)

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 8:30:48 PM

i forgot:
try for all test only one cpu ..to get a right result cause maybe one is bad
April 20, 2004 11:22:33 PM

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
>
> Happy happy.
>
> One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
>
> With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a
steady
> signal, full on power light.
>
> As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
> lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is
off,
> not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.
>
> I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
> due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
> away with it. (Or fry further)
>
> Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
> with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.

Your RAM is registered i hope? Otherwise no POST....
Paul.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 12:34:37 AM

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
>
> Happy happy.
>
> One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
>
> With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a
steady
> signal, full on power light.
>
> As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
> lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is
off,
> not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.
>
> I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
> due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
> away with it. (Or fry further)
>
> Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
> with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Not only do you need to make sure you've got registered memory, but with
faster Athlon MPs such as yours you need PC2100 (266 MHz) DDR RAM - if you
need to buy any, I suggest you stick rigidly to the tyan reccommended memory
list (on their website) as this board is VERY picky about memory (and PSUs
for that matter). I'm using original Samsung Memory and an Enhance 460 Watt
PSU, having had many problems with other brands prior to these. What PSU are
you using?

Paul
April 21, 2004 12:34:38 AM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
> >
> > Happy happy.
> >
> > One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> > One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
> >
> > With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> > connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> > keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a
> steady
> > signal, full on power light.
> >
> > As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the
keyboard
> > lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> > mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is
> off,
> > not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> > separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a
computer.

> > I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for
POST,
> > due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can
get
> > away with it. (Or fry further)
> >
> > Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power
up
> > with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> > Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.
> >
> > Any ideas, folks?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
> >
> Not only do you need to make sure you've got registered memory, but with
> faster Athlon MPs such as yours you need PC2100 (266 MHz) DDR RAM - if you
> need to buy any, I suggest you stick rigidly to the tyan reccommended
memory
> list (on their website) as this board is VERY picky about memory (and PSUs
> for that matter). I'm using original Samsung Memory and an Enhance 460
Watt
> PSU, having had many problems with other brands prior to these. What PSU
are
> you using?
>
> Paul

Paul, are you by any chance the guy called the Flying Kiwi on the 2CPU
forum?

Chris
April 21, 2004 2:12:44 PM

I have the exact same thing on a 2462 when I first got it. One of the two
processors was bad.

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
>
> Happy happy.
>
> One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
>
> With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a
steady
> signal, full on power light.
>
> As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
> lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is
off,
> not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.
>
> I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
> due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
> away with it. (Or fry further)
>
> Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
> with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 4:58:31 PM

Im not sure of the 2460, but is there an agp/vga jumper on the board? Check
it out. May be as simple as that.
Also if youve the wrong ram, youd get beeps telling you so I'd imagine.

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just acquired a Tiger MP s2460 and two MP1800+ processors.
>
> Happy happy.
>
> One 200mhz 128 mb PC1600 SDRAM
> One GeForce2 MX400 (2-4x AGP capable)
>
> With ZERO other peripherals and only the power switch and PSU 20-pin
> connected, when I power on the PSU, before I hit the switch, all of my
> keyboard LEDs (Num, Caps, Scroll locks) light up. The monitor shows a
steady
> signal, full on power light.
>
> As soon as I power on, PSU fan powers up as do both CPU fans, the keyboard
> lights stay all lit, but the monitor goes to what appears to be standby
> mode, the same as if it were turned on plugged into a computer that is
off,
> not as if the cable were unplugged from the graphics adapter. There's a
> separate signal on-screen to let me know it's not connected to a computer.
>
> I'm afraid to let this sit for more than 10-20 seconds and wait for POST,
> due to the freakiness of i, and I don't want to fry anything if I can get
> away with it. (Or fry further)
>
> Same thing happens without monitor if I remove the video card and power up
> with the keyboard alone, all lights lit and stay that way.
> Monitor behaves the same if I power on with no keyboard.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 8:33:17 PM

> Not only do you need to make sure you've got registered memory, but with
> faster Athlon MPs such as yours you need PC2100 (266 MHz) DDR RAM - if you
> need to buy any, I suggest you stick rigidly to the tyan reccommended
memory
> list (on their website) as this board is VERY picky about memory (and PSUs
> for that matter). I'm using original Samsung Memory and an Enhance 460
Watt
> PSU, having had many problems with other brands prior to these. What PSU
are
> you using?
>
> Paul

Well, looks like the memory I have, is not what I need. I'm hoping that's
the only problem. Not sure if it is registered or not, but I know it's only
200 mhz and I ought to buy some 266 (Will PC2700 clock down to PC2100
specs?)
I don't remember offhand the brand of the power supply, think Antec, but not
sure. I know it supplies 35 amps on the +5v line, more than the 30 amp
requirement.
So, off I go to pricewatch/ebay to see about Tyan recommended memory...

Jon
April 22, 2004 12:26:25 AM

> Also if youve the wrong ram, youd get beeps telling you so I'd imagine.

Nope. Board does nothing.
Paul.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2004 1:04:50 AM

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
> I have the exact same thing on a 2462 when I first got it. One of the two
> processors was bad.

Aiiieeeee ... I'd like to exhaust all possible other problems first.
I also threw a T-bird 950 in the board (CPU1 slot, not CPU2), and it did the
same thing.
The T-Bird is from the computer I'm posting with, so I know it works, and
works well.
!