Time for a new drive.

June 9, 2005 2:17:01 AM

I'm going to be installing a new drive and wonder if there is any way to do
it like this.
(It's the last question I need answered.)
1. Install drive and Windows XP Pro. Add new copy of Office XP and maybe one
or two other packages.
2. Move old C (XP home) to D:
3. Move selected data files to C:
4. Selectively move other applications to the new drive. I.E. move the
files and update the registry.

My first hard drive was 5 Mb. It would take 60,000 of them to give 300 Gb
and cost $150,000,000. plus the house to house them.

I wish I could afford to do it like the old days...

Bill G can.

More about : time drive

June 9, 2005 2:17:02 AM

Mike Painter wrote:

> I'm going to be installing a new drive and wonder if there is any way
> to do it like this.
> (It's the last question I need answered.)
> 1. Install drive and Windows XP Pro. Add new copy of Office XP and
> maybe one or two other packages.
> 2. Move old C (XP home) to D:
> 3. Move selected data files to C:
> 4. Selectively move other applications to the new drive. I.E. move
> the files and update the registry.

Since you don't want to image your old drive to the new one; i.e., you
want Pro on the new one - put new drive in as master and install XP
Pro. After the installation, attach the old drive as slave. Copy over
the data. You will need to install any programs you had on the old
drive onto the new drive with the original installation media (either
cd's or the installer executables). You cannot just move the
applications.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke wrote:
> Mike Painter wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be installing a new drive and wonder if there is any
>> way to do it like this.
>> (It's the last question I need answered.)
>> 1. Install drive and Windows XP Pro. Add new copy of Office XP and
>> maybe one or two other packages.
>> 2. Move old C (XP home) to D:
>> 3. Move selected data files to C:
>> 4. Selectively move other applications to the new drive. I.E. move
>> the files and update the registry.
>
> Since you don't want to image your old drive to the new one; i.e., you
> want Pro on the new one - put new drive in as master and install XP
> Pro. After the installation, attach the old drive as slave. Copy over
> the data. You will need to install any programs you had on the old
> drive onto the new drive with the original installation media (either
> cd's or the installer executables). You cannot just move the
> applications.

That's what I was afraid of.
The last time I did this, one of my downloaded applications would not
reinstall and the new owners of the company ignored all the information I
had showing I had a legal copy.

Thanks.