tyan 2880 with SMDC

Sy

Hi,

Would anyone know of any server management software for non Redhat linux
distros? My BIOS appears to have SMDC support now and I've flashed the
BMC with util.exe from the tyan website, but I can't seem to open
com2 using conserver.

thnx,
Shuying

Hello Shuying,

> Would anyone know of any server management software for non Redhat linux
> distros? My BIOS appears to have SMDC support now and I've flashed the
> BMC with util.exe from the tyan website, but I can't seem to open
> com2 using conserver.

after searching for a very long time I finally found this:

http://ipmitool.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunality our SMDC card had to be send to repair to tyan and I first
found out about this ipmitool after it was sent to tyan, so I have no
experience with it yet.

Before I knew about vanilla kernel IPMI support (you need to enable it in
your kernel configuration), I also discussed the binary driver only issue
with a technician from tyan. He told me that they could recompile there
driver once a year against our own kernel, but not more often. Well, taking
all those recent kernel security issues into account, that doesn't help
much. So I'm afraid to use all those nice SMDC features (like bios
upgrading, etc.) ist not possible from linux (unless of course, you use
those three or four supported RedHat kernel).
I really don't understand why they don't simply program an opensource
interface which can be linked with binary only drivers, just as nvidia or
smartlink are doing it with their drivers. IMHO Tyans own linux smdc
support is just stupid.

Perhaps you could send them a mail, that you are also one of those many user
who have bought such nice SMDC card and now can't use it properly?

Cheers,
Bernd

If you're going to complain to Tyan, be constructive, and request for
any follow up response. Outright complaining is just going to get
ignored (as it does at most companies). I am sure if you state your
case properly though, you won't have problems to get your
correspondence read.

,)`Q