S2466MPX N - 4M with two Athlon 2800+ CPUs

Hi -

I've just put together a new server using the Tyan Tiger S2466MPX N-4M board
and two Barton 2800+ CPUs.
I have a concern. This motherboard supports up to 266mhz FSB. What is the
default running speed of the Barton 2800+ CPU? Since I can't do 333mhz FSB
with this MB, will I be running the processors slower than they could go?
I'm not talking overclocking, either. This is a server that I need to run
rock solid.

Any advice you all can give? I haven't booted the machine up yet. I plan on
doing that tomorrow. Maybe when I get into BIOS it will all be ok. I did
download the latest BIOS but have yet to Flash it.

--
Scotter

Scotter wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've just put together a new server using the Tyan Tiger S2466MPX N-4M board
> and two Barton 2800+ CPUs.
> I have a concern. This motherboard supports up to 266mhz FSB. What is the
> default running speed of the Barton 2800+ CPU? Since I can't do 333mhz FSB
> with this MB, will I be running the processors slower than they could go?
> I'm not talking overclocking, either. This is a server that I need to run
> rock solid.

You will be effectively underclocking the Bartons by a factor of
266/333. Running them at 80% of their rated speed, in other words.

> Any advice you all can give? I haven't booted the machine up yet. I plan on
> doing that tomorrow. Maybe when I get into BIOS it will all be ok. I did
> download the latest BIOS but have yet to Flash it.

Do a google, yahoo, or whatever search for "overclock s2466 barton"
and see if it turns up anything useful. Probably not anything you
can do about the FSB, but maybe you can unlock and increase the
multiplier. Be prepared for a lot of useless hits - you will be far
from the only person wondering about this.

Too bad you didn't get youself a couple of TBred MP2600+, XP2600+
or MP2800+ since they all have the 266 MHz FSB.

Correction: The CPUs I got are retail "Athlon MP 2800+" on the package.
And now I see it says "2133 mhz" on the package, too.

Scotter wrote:
> Correction: The CPUs I got are retail "Athlon MP 2800+" on the package.
> And now I see it says "2133 mhz" on the package, too.

In which case you should have nothing to worry about.

If you have an older BIOS it will not correctly report
the processors at POST, but it *will* run at the proper
speed and frequency. If little things like that bother
you, go ahead with the BIOS upgrade.