Formatting a Hard Drive using Windows XP Home

I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to repair. I
ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once reformatted
it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat the drive
again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost when I
formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful, and
would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current using 128
MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.
5 answers Last reply
More about formatting hard drive windows home

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:03:30 -0700, Rob wrote:

    > I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to repair. I
    > ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once reformatted
    > it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
    > porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat the drive
    > again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost when I
    > formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful, and
    > would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current using 128
    > MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.

    Suggestions:
    -Take a look in Computer Management> Disk Management. Does it show 12GB as
    raw or undefined? If no, ensure that LBA is enabled in BIOS.

    -Was fdisk used to create the partition? There is a point when running
    fdisk that you're asked if you want to enable LBA. If you use this tool
    again to prepare the disk, answer yes to work with the entire 14GB.

    -Not necessary to use fdisk if you have the retail or generic OEM XP CD.
    both are bootable CDs. Enter BIOS setup. Set the boot order to CD first,
    hard drive second. Insert the CD. Exit BIOS and let the CD boot the system.

    You'll end up at the XP setup screens. If you take all of the options to
    setup Windows, you'll reach the final screen (before Windows starts the
    actual install) and will be asked where to install the operating system. If
    you read that screen carefully, you'll see the options for working with the
    partitions. Taking that path, you can delete the existing partitions and
    create a new one that encompasses the entire 14 GB. Then format. Then
    continue with the XP install.

    -To resize and merge the existing partitions without losing what is
    currently on the hard drive, use a product such as Partition Magic or
    BootitNG.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to repair. I
    > ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once
    reformatted
    > it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
    > porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat the
    drive
    > again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost when I
    > formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful, and
    > would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current using
    128
    > MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.

    Click Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc {OK}, then identify your problem
    disk. Now delete all existing partitions on it (if this is what you
    want), then create whatever partititions you require and format them.

    Doing this would work if there was another Hard Drive supporting the system,
    but I wouldn't try deleting partitions on a hard drive that I am working on,
    unless it can be done from the CD and not booted on the hard disk.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to repair. I
    > > ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once
    > reformatted
    > > it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
    > > porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat the
    > drive
    > > again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost when I
    > > formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful, and
    > > would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current using
    > 128
    > > MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.
    >
    > Click Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc {OK}, then identify your problem
    > disk. Now delete all existing partitions on it (if this is what you
    > want), then create whatever partititions you require and format them.

    Are you asking how to partition/format a hard disk without
    using Windows XP? If so then I'm a little confused about
    your Subject line. If not then please rephrase your question.

    > Doing this would work if there was another Hard Drive supporting the
    system,
    > but I wouldn't try deleting partitions on a hard drive that I am working
    on,
    > unless it can be done from the CD and not booted on the hard disk.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to
    repair. I
    > > > ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once
    > > reformatted
    > > > it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
    > > > porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat
    the
    > > drive
    > > > again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost
    when I
    > > > formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful,
    and
    > > > would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current
    using
    > > 128
    > > > MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.
    > >
    > > Click Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc {OK}, then identify your problem
    > > disk. Now delete all existing partitions on it (if this is what you
    > > want), then create whatever partititions you require and format them.

    A couple of suggestions:

    1. Did you happen to format as FAT16, maybe by accident? If so, that is
    limited to 2Gig per partition.

    2. Try deleting all partitions, then and reformating as FAT32.

    3. You can delelte partitions and format using a DOS floppy with FDISK, or
    using the XP recovery console run from the XP CDROM. The recovery console
    is friendlier. It can also format as NTFS, if you so desire. Here are some
    links on using the recovery console:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently had my system crash and was beyond all known help to repair. I
    > ended up formatting the drive which started with 14 GB and once
    > reformatted
    > it shows only 2 GB of storage space. I have talked with a few IT
    > porfessional who have told me that I can use Windows XP to reformat the
    > drive
    > again and that should show the unused 12 GB partition that was lost when I
    > formatted the drive. When I attempted to do this I was unsuccessful, and
    > would like some guidance on how to do this. The system is current using
    > 128
    > MB ram, and a Western Digital standard Hard Disk.

Formatting Windows XP