Power supply for s2460?

Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger MP?
I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
resort

Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb RAM
that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were guaranteed
not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400 also
known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.

Thanks,
More about power supply s2460
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    PC Power & Cooling makes very high quality power supplies. Their 510
    ATX should work just fine with the S2460 MP mobo.

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance_
    d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

    I am using a 475 ATX (older model) with a Tyan Tiger MP S2460 with 4
    SCSI drives, CRDOM, CDRW, digital tape, etc. No problems.

    Good luck! HTH

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:57:59 UTC, "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com>
    wrote:
    > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger MP?
    > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
    > resort
    >
    > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb RAM
    > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were guaranteed
    > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400 also
    > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
    > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Tom Brown
    thombrown at san dot rr dot com
    Member SCOUG, V.O.I.C.E. & SDAA
    running eComStation GA + FP 3
    eCS system uptime is 0 days 00:42 hours
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Sweet. Right now, I have a 450 ATX, no-name, putting out 35A on the 5v, and
    I thought it should work, but no luck. I have seen the board function on a
    power supply over at my friend's house, when I bought it, but he was
    re-using his supply for the s2466 he bought (Long story involving the wrong
    cpus and me snatching up this board for a STEAL)

    "Tom Brown" <thombrown@san.nospam.rr.com> wrote in message
    > PC Power & Cooling makes very high quality power supplies. Their 510
    > ATX should work just fine with the S2460 MP mobo.
    >
    > http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance_
    > d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm
    >
    > I am using a 475 ATX (older model) with a Tyan Tiger MP S2460 with 4
    > SCSI drives, CRDOM, CDRW, digital tape, etc. No problems.
    >
    > Good luck! HTH
    >
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:57:59 UTC, "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    MP?
    > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
    last
    > > resort
    > >
    > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    RAM
    > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    guaranteed
    > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    also
    > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
    from
    > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    > Tom Brown
    > thombrown at san dot rr dot com
    > Member SCOUG, V.O.I.C.E. & SDAA
    > running eComStation GA + FP 3
    > eCS system uptime is 0 days 00:42 hours
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    The S2460 is VERY picky about PSUs (and memory - has to be registered DDR).
    I've had the best luck with an Enhance ENS-0246 PSU after my Enermax PSU had
    the dreaded ATX connector meltdown problem. If you're not sure what I'm
    referring to, have a search through the www.2cpu.com forum threads for it.
    I'm not sure if the S2466 NEEDS registered DDR so memory that works in that
    may NOT be suitable for the S2460 - best to check on Tyans approved memory
    list for the S2460. I know genuine Samsung works fine on mine.

    Finally, allow a few seconds from switch on until you give up and cut the
    power. It takes about 30 seconds from power on for mine to show the post
    screen because its checking my ECC Registered memory - one of the quirks
    with this board.

    Paul
    "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    MP?
    > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
    > resort
    >
    > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    RAM
    > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    guaranteed
    > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    also
    > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
    > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    >
    > Thanks,

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    MP?
    > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
    > resort
    >
    > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    RAM
    > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    guaranteed
    > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    also
    > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
    > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.

    I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the 400w
    after a succesfull post.

    Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
    psu....
    Paul.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "Miloman" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    > MP?
    > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
    last
    > > resort
    > >
    > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    > RAM
    > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    > guaranteed
    > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    > also
    > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
    from
    > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    >
    > I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the
    400w
    > after a succesfull post.
    >
    > Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
    > psu....
    > Paul.

    On that 200mhz FSB jumper note ... the motherboard markings and the manual
    indicate that two of the four jumpers move from 1-2 to 2-3 setting, while of
    the other two, only ONE is supposed to move from 2-3 to 1-2, and the other
    is supposed to stay at 2-3. Is this a typo, or is it correct that three of
    the jumpers move, while the fourth stays the same? If you've got the same
    board, you can look and see, maybe it's a misprint, but boy tha sounds weird
    that one of the pairs is supposed to be mixed while the other pair both
    change.

    Do these jumpers affect memory speed as well? As in, will PC2100 run at 200
    mhz as if it were PC1600, instead of the 266 mhz it is capable of? Not that
    it matters much, if it gets my system happy and shows me that I just need a
    new PSU.

    Thanks,
    Jon
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    > "Miloman" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460
    Tiger
    > > MP?
    > > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
    > last
    > > > resort
    > > >
    > > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick
    512mb
    > > RAM
    > > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    > > guaranteed
    > > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2
    MX400
    > > also
    > > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
    > from
    > > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    > >
    > > I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the
    > 400w
    > > after a succesfull post.
    > >
    > > Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
    > > psu....
    > > Paul.
    > >

    > On that 200mhz FSB jumper note ... the motherboard markings and the manual
    > indicate that two of the four jumpers move from 1-2 to 2-3 setting, while
    of
    > the other two, only ONE is supposed to move from 2-3 to 1-2, and the other
    > is supposed to stay at 2-3. Is this a typo, or is it correct that three of
    > the jumpers move, while the fourth stays the same? If you've got the same
    > board, you can look and see, maybe it's a misprint, but boy tha sounds
    weird
    > that one of the pairs is supposed to be mixed while the other pair both
    > change.

    You better check here (mind the revision-part):
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html
    As i remeber there was an issue with a misprint in the manual, so it's
    probably wise to get the latest version of the manual suiting your revision.

    I'm sitting in the garden rightnow, so can't check my rig..... maybe
    tomorrow.

    > Do these jumpers affect memory speed as well? As in, will PC2100 run at
    200
    > mhz as if it were PC1600, instead of the 266 mhz it is capable of? Not
    that
    > it matters much, if it gets my system happy and shows me that I just need
    > new PSU.

    I assume it also affects the memory speed, but i'm not sure here. It might
    also depend on the SPD-info.
    Let us know the outcome!
    Paul.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I can echo that the 2460 is VERY picky about PSUs.

    I have a 2460 that the PS gave up on. So I went to the local computer store
    and bought a brand-new 550 w PS with tons of room. The board wouldn't post.
    Traded it in on a different PSU that was 450 w and barely met the 5 volt
    requirements. Board posted with no problems. The PS that wouldn't post the
    2460 works just fine on my 2466.

    Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
    single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom of
    why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.

    "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    MP?
    > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
    > resort
    >
    > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    RAM
    > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    guaranteed
    > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    also
    > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
    > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    >
    > Thanks,

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    > Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
    > single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom of
    > why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.
    >
    > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
    > MP?
    > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
    last
    > > resort
    > >
    > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
    > RAM
    > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    > guaranteed
    > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
    > also
    > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
    from
    > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    Well, I tried the board with the PSU that it was originally tested with.
    Known to be a good PSU, since I saw it POST with my own nine eyes before I
    bought it. It didn't POST. RMA, here I come.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "J McK" <jmckenna2@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
    > > single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom
    of
    > > why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.
    > >
    > > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460
    Tiger
    > > MP?
    > > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
    > last
    > > > resort
    > > >
    > > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick
    512mb
    > > RAM
    > > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
    > > guaranteed
    > > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
    > > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2
    MX400
    > > also
    > > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
    > from
    > > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >

    > Well, I tried the board with the PSU that it was originally tested with.
    > Known to be a good PSU, since I saw it POST with my own nine eyes before I
    > bought it. It didn't POST. RMA, here I come.

    How do you know the PSU's capabilities didn't deteriorate with age since the
    first test? Just because the PSU still runs other boards, doesn't mean it'll
    still have enough get up & go to handle a Tyan S2460. PSUs that are getting
    on a bit sometimes deteriorate due to the effects of heat on their workings
    and can no longer output as much as they used to. What PSU make/model/power
    rating is it?

    Paul
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    i've been using antec truepower 550watt psu - it died almost exactly 1 year
    old but comes with a 3yr warranty so i got a free replacement within a
    couple of days courier collecting defunct model
    this powers a radeon 9700pro, audigy, 3ware raid card, lan, 3 ata100 hdds,
    dvdrom & burner, 3 ram sticks 1280mb, 4 case fans & 4cpu fans (silverados)
    and 2 mp1600+ cpus
    the absolute best psus are supposed to be from pcpower & cooling - usa only
    though
    dr ratt

Power Supplies Motherboards