Power supply for s2460?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 5:57:59 AM

Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger MP?
I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
resort

Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb RAM
that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were guaranteed
not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400 also
known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.

Thanks,

More about : power supply s2460

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 9:22:44 AM

PC Power & Cooling makes very high quality power supplies. Their 510
ATX should work just fine with the S2460 MP mobo.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/h...
d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

I am using a 475 ATX (older model) with a Tyan Tiger MP S2460 with 4
SCSI drives, CRDOM, CDRW, digital tape, etc. No problems.

Good luck! HTH

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:57:59 UTC, "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger MP?
> I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
> resort
>
> Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb RAM
> that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were guaranteed
> not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400 also
> known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
> BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
>
> Thanks,

Tom Brown
thombrown at san dot rr dot com
Member SCOUG, V.O.I.C.E. & SDAA
running eComStation GA + FP 3
eCS system uptime is 0 days 00:42 hours
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 5:00:49 PM

Sweet. Right now, I have a 450 ATX, no-name, putting out 35A on the 5v, and
I thought it should work, but no luck. I have seen the board function on a
power supply over at my friend's house, when I bought it, but he was
re-using his supply for the s2466 he bought (Long story involving the wrong
cpus and me snatching up this board for a STEAL)

"Tom Brown" <thombrown@san.nospam.rr.com> wrote in message
> PC Power & Cooling makes very high quality power supplies. Their 510
> ATX should work just fine with the S2460 MP mobo.
>
> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/h...
> d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm
>
> I am using a 475 ATX (older model) with a Tyan Tiger MP S2460 with 4
> SCSI drives, CRDOM, CDRW, digital tape, etc. No problems.
>
> Good luck! HTH
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:57:59 UTC, "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
MP?
> > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
last
> > resort
> >
> > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
RAM
> > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
guaranteed
> > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
also
> > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
from
> > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
> >
> > Thanks,

> Tom Brown
> thombrown at san dot rr dot com
> Member SCOUG, V.O.I.C.E. & SDAA
> running eComStation GA + FP 3
> eCS system uptime is 0 days 00:42 hours
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 12:40:09 AM

The S2460 is VERY picky about PSUs (and memory - has to be registered DDR).
I've had the best luck with an Enhance ENS-0246 PSU after my Enermax PSU had
the dreaded ATX connector meltdown problem. If you're not sure what I'm
referring to, have a search through the www.2cpu.com forum threads for it.
I'm not sure if the S2466 NEEDS registered DDR so memory that works in that
may NOT be suitable for the S2460 - best to check on Tyans approved memory
list for the S2460. I know genuine Samsung works fine on mine.

Finally, allow a few seconds from switch on until you give up and cut the
power. It takes about 30 seconds from power on for mine to show the post
screen because its checking my ECC Registered memory - one of the quirks
with this board.

Paul
"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
MP?
> I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
> resort
>
> Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
RAM
> that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
guaranteed
> not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
also
> known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
> BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
>
> Thanks,

April 30, 2004 1:22:48 AM

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
MP?
> I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
> resort
>
> Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
RAM
> that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
guaranteed
> not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
also
> known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
> BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.

I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the 400w
after a succesfull post.

Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
psu....
Paul.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:13:35 PM

"Miloman" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
> MP?
> > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
last
> > resort
> >
> > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
> RAM
> > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
> guaranteed
> > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
> also
> > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
from
> > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
>
> I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the
400w
> after a succesfull post.
>
> Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
> psu....
> Paul.

On that 200mhz FSB jumper note ... the motherboard markings and the manual
indicate that two of the four jumpers move from 1-2 to 2-3 setting, while of
the other two, only ONE is supposed to move from 2-3 to 1-2, and the other
is supposed to stay at 2-3. Is this a typo, or is it correct that three of
the jumpers move, while the fourth stays the same? If you've got the same
board, you can look and see, maybe it's a misprint, but boy tha sounds weird
that one of the pairs is supposed to be mixed while the other pair both
change.

Do these jumpers affect memory speed as well? As in, will PC2100 run at 200
mhz as if it were PC1600, instead of the 266 mhz it is capable of? Not that
it matters much, if it gets my system happy and shows me that I just need a
new PSU.

Thanks,
Jon
April 30, 2004 8:34:35 PM

> "Miloman" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460
Tiger
> > MP?
> > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
> last
> > > resort
> > >
> > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick
512mb
> > RAM
> > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
> > guaranteed
> > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2
MX400
> > also
> > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
> from
> > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
> >
> > I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the
> 400w
> > after a succesfull post.
> >
> > Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
> > psu....
> > Paul.
> >

> On that 200mhz FSB jumper note ... the motherboard markings and the manual
> indicate that two of the four jumpers move from 1-2 to 2-3 setting, while
of
> the other two, only ONE is supposed to move from 2-3 to 1-2, and the other
> is supposed to stay at 2-3. Is this a typo, or is it correct that three of
> the jumpers move, while the fourth stays the same? If you've got the same
> board, you can look and see, maybe it's a misprint, but boy tha sounds
weird
> that one of the pairs is supposed to be mixed while the other pair both
> change.

You better check here (mind the revision-part):
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html
As i remeber there was an issue with a misprint in the manual, so it's
probably wise to get the latest version of the manual suiting your revision.

I'm sitting in the garden rightnow, so can't check my rig..... maybe
tomorrow.

> Do these jumpers affect memory speed as well? As in, will PC2100 run at
200
> mhz as if it were PC1600, instead of the 266 mhz it is capable of? Not
that
> it matters much, if it gets my system happy and shows me that I just need
> new PSU.

I assume it also affects the memory speed, but i'm not sure here. It might
also depend on the SPD-info.
Let us know the outcome!
Paul.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 4:41:13 PM

I can echo that the 2460 is VERY picky about PSUs.

I have a 2460 that the PS gave up on. So I went to the local computer store
and bought a brand-new 550 w PS with tons of room. The board wouldn't post.
Traded it in on a different PSU that was 450 w and barely met the 5 volt
requirements. Board posted with no problems. The PS that wouldn't post the
2460 works just fine on my 2466.

Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom of
why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.

"J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
MP?
> I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a last
> resort
>
> Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
RAM
> that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
guaranteed
> not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
also
> known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
> BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
>
> Thanks,

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 8:03:34 PM

> Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
> single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom of
> why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.
>
> "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460 Tiger
> MP?
> > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
last
> > resort
> >
> > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick 512mb
> RAM
> > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
> guaranteed
> > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2 MX400
> also
> > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
from
> > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
> >
> > Thanks,

Well, I tried the board with the PSU that it was originally tested with.
Known to be a good PSU, since I saw it POST with my own nine eyes before I
bought it. It didn't POST. RMA, here I come.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2004 11:37:10 AM

"J McK" <jmckenna2@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
> > single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom
of
> > why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.
> >
> > "J McK" <oderus2010@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Anybody have a specific power supply they can name me for an s2460
Tiger
> > MP?
> > > I've had trouble with my board not POSTing, and am down to that as a
> last
> > > resort
> > >
> > > Won't POST with a single or double MP 1800+ CPU and a single stick
512mb
> > RAM
> > > that is verified in a s2466 and known to be functional. CPUs were
> > guaranteed
> > > not DOA, but used. T-Bird 950 verifiable working won't POST, either.
> > > Keyboard is known to be functional. Banshee 16mb AGP and GeForce2
MX400
> > also
> > > known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever
> from
> > > BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> Well, I tried the board with the PSU that it was originally tested with.
> Known to be a good PSU, since I saw it POST with my own nine eyes before I
> bought it. It didn't POST. RMA, here I come.

How do you know the PSU's capabilities didn't deteriorate with age since the
first test? Just because the PSU still runs other boards, doesn't mean it'll
still have enough get up & go to handle a Tyan S2460. PSUs that are getting
on a bit sometimes deteriorate due to the effects of heat on their workings
and can no longer output as much as they used to. What PSU make/model/power
rating is it?

Paul
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2004 2:16:32 AM

i've been using antec truepower 550watt psu - it died almost exactly 1 year
old but comes with a 3yr warranty so i got a free replacement within a
couple of days courier collecting defunct model
this powers a radeon 9700pro, audigy, 3ware raid card, lan, 3 ata100 hdds,
dvdrom & burner, 3 ram sticks 1280mb, 4 case fans & 4cpu fans (silverados)
and 2 mp1600+ cpus
the absolute best psus are supposed to be from pcpower & cooling - usa only
though
dr ratt
!