Is my monitor shot or is it software related?

I'm trying to get my friend's laptop fixed. The screen laptop screen is
showing nothing but a pattern of fine vertical lines. When hook up an
external monitor the external one is working fine. All I notice different
from the last time I worked on his computer is that the bios battery seems
dead. It's won't keep the set time after a reboot. Other than that
everything looks OK in device manager. I tried using FN+F4 to toggle between
screens but that didn't work. What could be wrong? Is it possible that it's
a software problem? Should I try to reinstall windows, or is it a hardware
problem? My thinking is If the video card was bad, or it was a
software/virus the external monitor wouldn't work. Any ideas?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor | Trainer | Hypnotherapist
http://brokeragenttraining.com (Advanced training for real estate
professionals)
http://over100percent.com (Realtors earn over 100 percent)

The laptop display is an LCD, make sure that the resolution
is set to the proper "native" resolution for that display.
But very likely the display has been damaged and will need
to be replaced. The fact that it works properly using an
external monitor indicates that the software and internal
video drivers are working properly. It could just be a bad
cable that goes through the hinge, but more likely, the LCD
is broken.

some support

"Steve Horrillo" <usenet@stephenhorrillo.com> wrote in
message