Drive Mapping - USB Card Reader

June 9, 2005 5:54:40 PM

I'm in a network environment, and my computer has several network drives
mapped (F, G, H, O and R). These, obviously, resolve after login (WindowsXP
Professional). I've recently purchased a 12-in-1 media card reader. If I
plug the device in before the computer is on, it maps 4 drives ( F, G, H and
I ), therefore not allowing the network drives to map. If I plug it in
after I boot the computer, only one drive ( I ) gets mapped, rendering the
other 3 slots/drive on the device useless.

Seeing as I cannot map the network drives to different letters (due to
network software hardcoding), how can I get my hardware to map 'around' the
other drive mappings?

Thanks for your time,
Dave
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:54:41 PM

Since the default mapping was not used for the network drives Z->A, You
will need to adjust the local letters yourself in Disk Management.

Dave "IT" wrote:

> I'm in a network environment, and my computer has several network drives
> mapped (F, G, H, O and R). These, obviously, resolve after login (WindowsXP
> Professional). I've recently purchased a 12-in-1 media card reader. If I
> plug the device in before the computer is on, it maps 4 drives ( F, G, H and
> I ), therefore not allowing the network drives to map. If I plug it in
> after I boot the computer, only one drive ( I ) gets mapped, rendering the
> other 3 slots/drive on the device useless.
>
> Seeing as I cannot map the network drives to different letters (due to
> network software hardcoding), how can I get my hardware to map 'around' the
> other drive mappings?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Dave

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:21:26 PM

"Dave "IT"" <canttell@dueto.spam> wrote in message
> I'm in a network environment, and my computer has several network drives
> mapped (F, G, H, O and R). These, obviously, resolve after login
(WindowsXP
> Professional). I've recently purchased a 12-in-1 media card reader. If I
> plug the device in before the computer is on, it maps 4 drives ( F, G, H
and
> I ), therefore not allowing the network drives to map. If I plug it in
> after I boot the computer, only one drive ( I ) gets mapped, rendering the
> other 3 slots/drive on the device useless.
>
> Seeing as I cannot map the network drives to different letters (due to
> network software hardcoding), how can I get my hardware to map 'around'
the
> other drive mappings?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Dave

Try this:
- Boot your machine with the reader plugged in.
- Run regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
- Rename \DosDevices\F: to DosDevices\Q:
- Do the same with the remaining drive letters for your card.
- Reboot the machine.

Your card reader will now be visible on drives Q:, R:, S: and T:.
!