Drive Mapping - USB Card Reader

I'm in a network environment, and my computer has several network drives
mapped (F, G, H, O and R). These, obviously, resolve after login (WindowsXP
Professional). I've recently purchased a 12-in-1 media card reader. If I
plug the device in before the computer is on, it maps 4 drives ( F, G, H and
I ), therefore not allowing the network drives to map. If I plug it in
after I boot the computer, only one drive ( I ) gets mapped, rendering the
other 3 slots/drive on the device useless.

Seeing as I cannot map the network drives to different letters (due to
network software hardcoding), how can I get my hardware to map 'around' the
other drive mappings?

Thanks for your time,
Dave
2 answers Last reply
More about drive mapping card reader

    Since the default mapping was not used for the network drives Z->A, You
    will need to adjust the local letters yourself in Disk Management.

    "Dave "IT"" <canttell@dueto.spam> wrote in message
    > I'm in a network environment, and my computer has several network drives
    > mapped (F, G, H, O and R). These, obviously, resolve after login
    (WindowsXP
    > Professional). I've recently purchased a 12-in-1 media card reader. If I
    > plug the device in before the computer is on, it maps 4 drives ( F, G, H
    and
    > I ), therefore not allowing the network drives to map. If I plug it in
    > after I boot the computer, only one drive ( I ) gets mapped, rendering the
    > other 3 slots/drive on the device useless.
    >
    > Seeing as I cannot map the network drives to different letters (due to
    > network software hardcoding), how can I get my hardware to map 'around'
    the
    > other drive mappings?
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > Dave

    Try this:
    - Boot your machine with the reader plugged in.
    - Run regedit.exe
    - Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    - Rename \DosDevices\F: to DosDevices\Q:
    - Do the same with the remaining drive letters for your card.
    - Reboot the machine.

    Your card reader will now be visible on drives Q:, R:, S: and T:.

USB Card Reader Computers Windows XP