Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Tiger K8W Power Supply recommendations ??

Tags:
  • Tiger
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2004 3:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

TIA

- bebopper

More about : tiger k8w power supply recommendations

May 10, 2004 8:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected to
the motherboard.
What kind of setup will be running?

BT

"bebopper" <bebopper@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:s99v90dg08t78p77mlmbarj3titmqqmtkb@4ax.com...
>
> Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??
>
> According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
> advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
> Likewise ATX12v ??
>
> It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
> ???
>
> TIA
>
> - bebopper
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2004 11:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

I'm going to put in a pair of Optys .. not sure what speed
yet. I guess I'll figure that out once I buy everything else.... I
ordered a 1GB TwinX1024RE-3200LL RT for memory.

Also a WD Raptor 74GB SATA drive (which can use a standard
4-pin power connector.) I plan to re-use my case and at least one of
my 80-GB Maxtor IDEs for data, maybe both. I have a CD and DVD-R
burner.

I understand the K8W can use a regular 350W EPS-12 PS. I'm
wondering what the advantage of going ATx12v would be - also native
SATA power connectors. There may not be any, but I'm not too savvy
about power supplies.

Thanks !!

- bebopper


On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:31:29 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
>EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected to
>the motherboard.
>What kind of setup will be running?
>
>BT
Related resources
May 11, 2004 1:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
should be used for stability.


My current setup is:
Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
Tyan Tiger K8W
2x 240s
1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
Sony DVD+-R/RW
Sony CD-RW
WD 80GB Special Edition
WD 200GB Special Edition
Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
Sound Blaster Audigy

"bebopper" <bebopper@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:rf20a017fb83f7q3aodn5gqc827p9t2t56@4ax.com...
> I'm going to put in a pair of Optys .. not sure what speed
> yet. I guess I'll figure that out once I buy everything else.... I
> ordered a 1GB TwinX1024RE-3200LL RT for memory.
>
> Also a WD Raptor 74GB SATA drive (which can use a standard
> 4-pin power connector.) I plan to re-use my case and at least one of
> my 80-GB Maxtor IDEs for data, maybe both. I have a CD and DVD-R
> burner.
>
> I understand the K8W can use a regular 350W EPS-12 PS. I'm
> wondering what the advantage of going ATx12v would be - also native
> SATA power connectors. There may not be any, but I'm not too savvy
> about power supplies.
>
> Thanks !!
>
> - bebopper
>
>
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:31:29 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
> >EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected
to
> >the motherboard.
> >What kind of setup will be running?
> >
> >BT
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2004 1:54:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:42 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
>then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
>ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
>manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
>this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
>power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
>converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
>you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
>should be used for stability.
>
>
>My current setup is:
>Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
>Tyan Tiger K8W
>2x 240s
>1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
>Sony DVD+-R/RW
>Sony CD-RW
>WD 80GB Special Edition
>WD 200GB Special Edition
>Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
>Sound Blaster Audigy

Thanks !! That was very helpful. The Raptor can take a
standard 4-pin Molex. I'm not sure why SATA needs a new power
connector to begin with?? I guess I'll look for a 480W or 500W to be
on the safe side. I don't expect to go beyond 3 HDDs, but you never
know..

I'll also be driving a GeForce FX 5200 and and an Audigy ...

Cheers,
- bebopper
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2004 2:39:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:42 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
>then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
>ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
>manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
>this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
>power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
>converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
>you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
>should be used for stability.
>


For the record, I went with the Vantek Stealth VAN-520 ($101.00 at
Newegg) This has 3 fans (adjustable) , 10 Mobex connectors, a 24-20
pin converter and several aux 4,6 and 8 pin as well as two floppy
connectors.

It handles 620W peak. The cables are looonnnggg too !! I suspect
this should hande anything I throw at it ...

Thanks,

- bebopper
May 11, 2004 3:05:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Serial ATA requires a new Power connector so you can hot swap the drives,
other then that there is not really a difference.



"bebopper" <bebopper@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:ccm1a09olpsicph01295dv6t99msei6m16@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:42 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> >First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with
more
> >then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
> >ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper
to
> >manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one
with
> >this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
> >power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
> >converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that
if
> >you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
> >should be used for stability.
> >
> >
> >My current setup is:
> >Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
> >Tyan Tiger K8W
> >2x 240s
> >1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
> >Sony DVD+-R/RW
> >Sony CD-RW
> >WD 80GB Special Edition
> >WD 200GB Special Edition
> >Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
> >Sound Blaster Audigy
>
> Thanks !! That was very helpful. The Raptor can take a
> standard 4-pin Molex. I'm not sure why SATA needs a new power
> connector to begin with?? I guess I'll look for a 480W or 500W to be
> on the safe side. I don't expect to go beyond 3 HDDs, but you never
> know..
>
> I'll also be driving a GeForce FX 5200 and and an Audigy ...
>
> Cheers,
> - bebopper
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2004 8:03:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:05:33 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Serial ATA requires a new Power connector so you can hot swap the drives,
>other then that there is not really a difference.
>

That makes sense ... I've never seen the reasoning behind it.
Thanks !!

- bebopper