Tiger K8W Power Supply recommendations ??

Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

TIA

- bebopper
7 answers Last reply
More about tiger power supply recommendations
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
    EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected to
    the motherboard.
    What kind of setup will be running?

    BT

    "bebopper" <bebopper@nospam.org> wrote in message

    > Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??
    >
    > According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
    > advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
    > Likewise ATX12v ??
    >
    > It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
    > ???
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > - bebopper
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I'm going to put in a pair of Optys .. not sure what speed
    yet. I guess I'll figure that out once I buy everything else.... I
    ordered a 1GB TwinX1024RE-3200LL RT for memory.

    Also a WD Raptor 74GB SATA drive (which can use a standard
    4-pin power connector.) I plan to re-use my case and at least one of
    my 80-GB Maxtor IDEs for data, maybe both. I have a CD and DVD-R
    burner.

    I understand the K8W can use a regular 350W EPS-12 PS. I'm
    wondering what the advantage of going ATx12v would be - also native
    SATA power connectors. There may not be any, but I'm not too savvy
    about power supplies.

    Thanks !!

    - bebopper

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:31:29 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
    wrote:

    >I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
    >EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected to
    >the motherboard.
    >What kind of setup will be running?
    >
    >BT
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
    then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
    ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
    manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
    this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
    power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
    converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
    you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
    should be used for stability.

    My current setup is:
    Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
    Tyan Tiger K8W
    2x 240s
    1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
    Sony DVD+-R/RW
    Sony CD-RW
    WD 80GB Special Edition
    WD 200GB Special Edition
    Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
    Sound Blaster Audigy

    > I'm going to put in a pair of Optys .. not sure what speed
    > yet. I guess I'll figure that out once I buy everything else.... I
    > ordered a 1GB TwinX1024RE-3200LL RT for memory.
    >
    > Also a WD Raptor 74GB SATA drive (which can use a standard
    > 4-pin power connector.) I plan to re-use my case and at least one of
    > my 80-GB Maxtor IDEs for data, maybe both. I have a CD and DVD-R
    > burner.
    >
    > I understand the K8W can use a regular 350W EPS-12 PS. I'm
    > wondering what the advantage of going ATx12v would be - also native
    > SATA power connectors. There may not be any, but I'm not too savvy
    > about power supplies.
    >
    > Thanks !!
    >
    > - bebopper
    >

    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:31:29 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
    > >EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected
    > >the motherboard.
    > >What kind of setup will be running?
    > >
    > >BT

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:42 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
    wrote:

    >First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
    >then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
    >ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
    >manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
    >this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
    >power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
    >converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
    >you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
    >should be used for stability.
    >

    >My current setup is:
    >Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
    >Tyan Tiger K8W
    >2x 240s
    >1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
    >Sony DVD+-R/RW
    >Sony CD-RW
    >WD 80GB Special Edition
    >WD 200GB Special Edition
    >Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
    >Sound Blaster Audigy

    Thanks !! That was very helpful. The Raptor can take a
    standard 4-pin Molex. I'm not sure why SATA needs a new power
    connector to begin with?? I guess I'll look for a 480W or 500W to be
    on the safe side. I don't expect to go beyond 3 HDDs, but you never
    know..

    I'll also be driving a GeForce FX 5200 and and an Audigy ...

    Cheers,
    - bebopper
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    wrote:

    >First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
    >then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
    >ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
    >manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
    >this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
    >power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
    >converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
    >you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
    >should be used for stability.

    For the record, I went with the Vantek Stealth VAN-520 ($101.00 at
    Newegg) This has 3 fans (adjustable) , 10 Mobex connectors, a 24-20
    pin converter and several aux 4,6 and 8 pin as well as two floppy
    connectors.

    It handles 620W peak. The cables are looonnnggg too !! I suspect
    this should hande anything I throw at it ...

    Thanks,

    - bebopper
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Serial ATA requires a new Power connector so you can hot swap the drives,
    other then that there is not really a difference.

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:42 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with
    more
    > >then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
    > >ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper
    > >manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one
    with
    > >this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
    > >power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
    > >converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that
    if
    > >you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
    > >should be used for stability.
    > >

    > >My current setup is:
    > >Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
    > >Tyan Tiger K8W
    > >2x 240s
    > >1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
    > >Sony DVD+-R/RW
    > >Sony CD-RW
    > >WD 80GB Special Edition
    > >WD 200GB Special Edition
    > >Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
    > >Sound Blaster Audigy
    >
    > Thanks !! That was very helpful. The Raptor can take a
    > standard 4-pin Molex. I'm not sure why SATA needs a new power
    > connector to begin with?? I guess I'll look for a 480W or 500W to be
    > on the safe side. I don't expect to go beyond 3 HDDs, but you never
    > know..
    >
    > I'll also be driving a GeForce FX 5200 and and an Audigy ...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > - bebopper
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:05:33 -0400, "bt" <sg4me@no.spam.ix.netcom.com>
    wrote:

    >Serial ATA requires a new Power connector so you can hot swap the drives,
    >other then that there is not really a difference.

    That makes sense ... I've never seen the reasoning behind it.
    Thanks !!

    - bebopper

Tiger Power Supplies Motherboards