Tyan Tiger 100 S1832DL - fastest CPU?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2004 2:59:23 PM

I'm using a Tyan Tiger 100 - S1832DL motherboard. It started life with a
single P2-400. Now it's running Dual P3-800s.

I'd like to know what's the fastest anyone's done with this board, either
via overlock or cpu upgrades.

Overclocking:

I've searched the web, and found some individuals have managed to get
stability at 133mhz fsb. I'm not sure what the limiting factor is on my
sysem, but the best I've managed with any stability is 112 mhz. I'm using
the stock P3 fans from Intel, Micron PC133 ram. So I'm thinking the
stability factor at 133 mhz could be the cooling on one CPU, the RAM, or
one of my cards (pci or AGP).

Does anyone know how to remove the stock fans off the P3-800 Slot 1 SECC2
cpus? If it were easy I might try better coolers or at least cleaning up
the thermal pad and using paste instead.

So, I can get 896mhz at a sort-of-stable 112 fsb. I don't know if 1064mhz
at 133mhz fsb can be stable given the potential limits of cpu cooling,
Micron PC133 ram, or the variety of cards used.

Upgrades:

I emailed PowerLeap with my system specs to ask about a cpu upgrade to P3-
1.4ghz. They say no upgrade is possible but did not give a reason why.
I'm guessing these upgrades don't work or are not supported in a dual cpu
system, or something specific about the S1832DL.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who's upgraded their S1832DL to faster
cpus, particularly P3 1.4ghz

I know that most likely I'm better off to buy a new system. But I'm
curious to see how much further I can push this system. I intend to hold
off on buying a new PC until doom3 comes out, then wait and see what cpu /
video combo works best for that. In the meantime if I can find some cheap
upgrades for this system I'll try them. Eventually it will become my file
server / terminal server.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight. This has been a great board
for me, best compute purchase I ever made, and I'm just curious if it's got
anything left in it.

Specs:
OS: Dual Boot Windows ME / Windows Server 2003 Standard
Motherboard: Tyan Tiger 100 s1832DL
Cpus: Dual Pentium 3 800mhz
Ram: 1GB Micron RAM.
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live Value
ATA controller: Promise Ultra133 for extra drives
Network Card: Compaq / HP NC3120 fast ethernet
Video: Nvidia Ti4200 8x by MSI
FireWire + USB 2.0 CARD: Adaptec DuoConnect
CD Burner: Aopen CRW2040
DVD Burner: TDK DVDRW0404N
IBM 22GB disk for C: (windows ME) D: (Server 2003) and E: (Apps)
IBM 22GB disk for F: (Games)
Maxtor 160GB disk for G: (Data, MP3s)
Maxtor 160GB disk for H: (Videos)
Maxtor 300GB disk for I: (Videos, FLAC audio, Backups)
Maxtor 40GB DISK for J: (temp files, NTFS, DVD copying, downloads)
Monitor: Viewsonic PF815
Scanner: Mustek 1200 CU USB 1.1
CF card reader: SanDisk CF reader USB 1.1
Printer: Canon i850 USB 2.0
Keyboard: Compaq PS/2 keyboard
Mouse: Creative Optical Mouse USB 1.1
November 27, 2004 6:09:06 AM

Hello,

I would like to know if you got any further with this board? I
currently have one at dual P3 600's, and wish to upgrade.

What revision is your board too? Mine is a "B", so, according to the
tyan website, i am at the fastest CPU's i can get. Do you think it is
possible to get any higher, despite tyan saying its not supported?

what about using slot adapter cards at all? i just think dual 600's is
slow today, would have liked dual 850's !

cheers
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2004 11:26:04 PM

I don't think it's possible with a Rev B. The Rev F has a different voltage
regulator than the older rev's and supports some of the newer/faster CPU's.

!