XP locks up during install on Tyan S1854 Trinity 400

I have a computer Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard with a pentium III 800
that has been running Windows 98 for several years. I wanted to upgrade to
Windows XP so I purchased a new hard drive and booted to the cd from the
cdrom and the install locks up in various places during the install. It
never gets past 27%.

The first time I tried to install it stopped at 2%. I replaced the memory
and ran a simmtester program. It got to 5% the next time but still locked
up. I moved the new memory from the first slot to the last slot. No
change.

I tried a new cdrom. Locked up aat about 5%.

I replaced the AGP card with another one, still locked up. I replaced it
with a PCI card. Still locked up.

I tried faster, slower and every piece of memory I could get my hands on but
it still locks up.

There is never an error.

I tried two other hard drives, one locks up at the point it formats it as
NTFS, the other one gets all the way through and gives this error " the
critical system information file syssetup.inf is corrupt or missing"

I updated the BIOS to the latest version but no luck with that either.

Can I assume it is either the motherboard or the processor?

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to try them. Thanks in advance!
1 answer Last reply
More about locks install tyan s1854 trinity
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I think I would try another CD. Also make sure your memory timings are not
    aggressive, or you are overclocking your CPU.

    Chris

    "Kim Webb" <kimwebb@pos.org> wrote in message
    > I have a computer Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard with a pentium III
    800
    > that has been running Windows 98 for several years. I wanted to upgrade
    > Windows XP so I purchased a new hard drive and booted to the cd from the
    > cdrom and the install locks up in various places during the install. It
    > never gets past 27%.
    >
    > The first time I tried to install it stopped at 2%. I replaced the memory
    > and ran a simmtester program. It got to 5% the next time but still locked
    > up. I moved the new memory from the first slot to the last slot. No
    > change.
    >
    > I tried a new cdrom. Locked up aat about 5%.
    >
    > I replaced the AGP card with another one, still locked up. I replaced it
    > with a PCI card. Still locked up.
    >
    > I tried faster, slower and every piece of memory I could get my hands on
    but
    > it still locks up.
    >
    > There is never an error.
    >
    > I tried two other hard drives, one locks up at the point it formats it as
    > NTFS, the other one gets all the way through and gives this error " the
    > critical system information file syssetup.inf is corrupt or missing"
    >
    > I updated the BIOS to the latest version but no luck with that either.
    >
    > Can I assume it is either the motherboard or the processor?
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions I would love to try them. Thanks in
    advance!

Tyan Trinity Windows XP Motherboards