BIOS Fl;ash problems

I went to the TYAN website and got what I think are the correct files to
flash my bios (2390w108.bin, and flashv73.exe).
The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk in, it
says there's an "I/O error".
How do I make a bootable disk?
What I was doing was formatting the disk in the floppy drive, choosing the
"Create an MS-DOS startup disk" option.
What Gives? Does it have something to do with running XP?
Here's my info:

BIOS Date: 08/03/00
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 08/03/2000-8363-686A-S2390C
OEM Sign-On: TYAN TRINITY KT V1.03a
Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h
OS: WinXP
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) 800 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 448 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
Memory Slot 03: 64 MB
Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

Also, is this a good board?
2 answers Last reply
More about bios problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I usually just use this link:

    http://ftp.sanguine.jp/pub/sahughes/utils/dos/drdflash.exe

    This is basically an exe file that creates a clean bootable floppy for BIOS
    flashing. There are no drivers or anything that will hose up your flash. If
    you still get the error, you may have a faulty floppy drive or cable too.

    Chris

    "Bradley Betz" <nascartrekkie3@alltel.net> wrote in message
    > I went to the TYAN website and got what I think are the correct files to
    > flash my bios (2390w108.bin, and flashv73.exe).
    > The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
    > I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk in,
    it
    > says there's an "I/O error".
    > How do I make a bootable disk?
    > What I was doing was formatting the disk in the floppy drive, choosing the
    > "Create an MS-DOS startup disk" option.
    > What Gives? Does it have something to do with running XP?
    > Here's my info:
    >
    > BIOS Date: 08/03/00
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    > BIOS ID: 08/03/2000-8363-686A-S2390C
    > OEM Sign-On: TYAN TRINITY KT V1.03a
    > Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
    > Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) 800 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    > Memory Installed: 448 MB
    > Memory Maximum: 512 MB
    > Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
    > Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    > Memory Slot 03: 64 MB
    > Memory Slot 04: 0 MB
    >

    > Also, is this a good board?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Now, using the prog you recommended, I get:

    Verifying DMI pool data......................
    Starting Caldera DR-DOS...
    Can't load BDOS kernal file: A:\IBDOS.COM
    System Halted

    Now what?

    "c" <c@me.org> wrote in message
    I usually just use this link:

    http://ftp.sanguine.jp/pub/sahughes/utils/dos/drdflash.exe

    This is basically an exe file that creates a clean bootable floppy for BIOS
    flashing. There are no drivers or anything that will hose up your flash. If
    you still get the error, you may have a faulty floppy drive or cable too.

    Chris

    "Bradley Betz" <nascartrekkie3@alltel.net> wrote in message
    > I went to the TYAN website and got what I think are the correct files to
    > flash my bios (2390w108.bin, and flashv73.exe).
    > The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
    > I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk in,
    it
    > says there's an "I/O error".
    > How do I make a bootable disk?
    > What I was doing was formatting the disk in the floppy drive, choosing the
    > "Create an MS-DOS startup disk" option.
    > What Gives? Does it have something to do with running XP?
    > Here's my info:
    >
    > BIOS Date: 08/03/00
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    > BIOS ID: 08/03/2000-8363-686A-S2390C
    > OEM Sign-On: TYAN TRINITY KT V1.03a
    > Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
    > Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) 800 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    > Memory Installed: 448 MB
    > Memory Maximum: 512 MB