Thunder K7 dual amd Freeze (video?)

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2004 7:25:04 PM

I've got a system lock-up on an S2462 that's driving me crazy. It happens
with more graphics intensive programs, but different versions of them make a
real difference. For instance, CorelDraw 10 rarely locks up, CorelDraw 11
fairly often (2- 4 hours of use). Dreamweaver 4 almost never crashes,
Dreamweaver MX will crash within 10 minutes, though it won't take down the
whole system.

I've updated all Win2K patches, and the Matrox G550 video drivers. I'm
running BIOS version 2.12, though it doesn't look like much of a difference
between it and 2.14.

I'm trying to upgrade from Win2K to Win XP Pro, but I can't get through the
install without it locking up. And of course, I have to leave it off at
least 20 minutes after it crashes before it will restart, another problem
that drives me crazy.

I do have both a logictech trac-ball and a Wacom tablet plugged in, and the
crash will happen sooner if I'm using the tablet. Though I think that's
only because I'm doing graphics work if I'm using the tablet.

Has anyone seen this, or can they give me a few pointers as to where to
start looking?

Thanks.
-Don-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2004 10:10:39 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:25:04 -0700, "Don Pickerel" <donald@fane.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone seen this, or can they give me a few pointers as to where to
>start looking?
>
>Thanks.
>-Don-

I ran a G450 a long tme under WinNT and Win2K on a K7. Personally I
think the motherboard likes Win2K best. Myself I like it better than
XP Pro. The Matrox drivers were always rock solid except when a few
times my BIOS settings got changed.

Some things to check on:

1. Make sure on board video is disabled as it sometimes gets reset. If
enabled it can be a problem installing.

2. Play with AGP Aperture size. I found a non standard setting worked
best. I think I used the small end of the range.

3. The other BIOS default AGP settings are best.

4. BIOS versions should not be a problem so I would not go backwards.
You may want to go and reset to factory BIOS defaults and reboot then
reset anything you need. I always do that with a BIOS upgrade.

5. Standard stuff like disconnecting everything you can to test
hardware issues one at a time. It might be another piece of hardware.

6. Matrox drivers must always be unintsalled first before updating and
I always reboot to VGA mode after the uninstall and don't let Windows
install anything at all. Then run the driver install using the newest
stuff from Matrox. Then a reboot and tune settings to taste. They have
a utility that will rip it out by the roots and clean up the mess if
Uninstall does not work, though it usually does.

Last fall I upgraded to the K7X with a Matrox P650 under Win2K and it
is exceptionally solid. My K7 borad was one of the originals and
developed a problem. It's possible to just do a motherboard swap from
a K7 to a K7X and just boot up. K7X board just makes a lot of things
more simple.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2004 12:17:48 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Once I get started I'm okay, it's figuring out where
to get started.
-Don-

!