Computer locks up when connected to 2 external drives - on..

June 10, 2005 1:29:22 PM

Hi,

I have two seperate cards , a firewire and usb 2.0 (I also have usb 1.1
on the mb) in my computer. Everything is fine unless I turn on both my
external firewire and usb 2.0 drives. When I do this the computer locks up,
it will resume working if I turn one of the devices off. Either external
drive will work fine as long as the other is turned off. Any ideas on what
is causing this and how I can fix it ? I've tried moving the cards around in
the various pci slots etc.

Thanks,

Ken
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:29:23 PM

Perhaps your power supply unit is inadequate to
distribute power to all those external devices.

Power supply wattage calculator
http://www.adecy.com/psu/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ken V" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I have two seperate cards , a firewire and usb 2.0 (I also have usb 1.1
| on the mb) in my computer. Everything is fine unless I turn on both my
| external firewire and usb 2.0 drives. When I do this the computer locks up,
| it will resume working if I turn one of the devices off. Either external
| drive will work fine as long as the other is turned off. Any ideas on what
| is causing this and how I can fix it ? I've tried moving the cards around in
| the various pci slots etc.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Ken
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:12:25 PM

Both units each have their own power supplies, so I'm assuming they don't
consume any power off the bus ?

-Ken

> Perhaps your power supply unit is inadequate to
> distribute power to all those external devices.
>
> Power supply wattage calculator
> http://www.adecy.com/psu/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Ken V" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have two seperate cards , a firewire and usb 2.0 (I also have usb
1.1
> | on the mb) in my computer. Everything is fine unless I turn on both my
> | external firewire and usb 2.0 drives. When I do this the computer locks
up,
> | it will resume working if I turn one of the devices off. Either external
> | drive will work fine as long as the other is turned off. Any ideas on
what
> | is causing this and how I can fix it ? I've tried moving the cards
around in
> | the various pci slots etc.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Ken

June 10, 2005 2:12:26 PM

The ports themselves consume power in order to keep them working.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Ken V" <kenvt@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Both units each have their own power supplies, so I'm assuming they don't
> consume any power off the bus ?
>
> -Ken

>> Perhaps your power supply unit is inadequate to
>> distribute power to all those external devices.
>>
>> Power supply wattage calculator
>> http://www.adecy.com/psu/
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

> -----------------
>>
>> "Ken V" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | I have two seperate cards , a firewire and usb 2.0 (I also have usb
> 1.1
>> | on the mb) in my computer. Everything is fine unless I turn on both my
>> | external firewire and usb 2.0 drives. When I do this the computer locks
> up,
>> | it will resume working if I turn one of the devices off. Either
>> external
>> | drive will work fine as long as the other is turned off. Any ideas on
> what
>> | is causing this and how I can fix it ? I've tried moving the cards
> around in
>> | the various pci slots etc.
>> |
>> | Thanks,
>> |
>> | Ken

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:30:07 PM

Disk management is sometimes problematic for external drives. The
suggestions above that were already tried, leads me to believe more
detective work is needed on your part.
Look in event viewer for errors generated when the computer locks.
Check out drive management. (open to desktop) and try to lock computer
by turning on both drives. In Computer Management, look in help for the
topic;
Create and configure counter logs for drive management, follow the
insructions to create a new log for your external drives.
This may also be an Irq, problem and the way the bios is set up.
That's all I've got for now.
Best,
Treeman

--