Epson loses. Canon i9900 OK for pro work?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 17, 2004 6:35:22 AM

If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 10:42:23 AM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:35:22 GMT, Michael
<michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com> wrote:

>If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
>photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
>me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
>the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!

The I960 might be a good investment as well for smaller format items
and keep the 9900 for your large format.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 2:09:31 PM

Michael wrote:
> If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
> photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs
> made me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the
> Canon i9900. Is the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!

I have it (well I have the UK version) and the answer is an unequivocal yes!
If you're going to spend £500 on a printer, then you're going to get
something worth yelling about! ;o)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:01:19 PM

In article <Xns9528E5CD59D6Bmichaelmflyahoocom@24.25.9.42>,
michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com says...
> If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
> photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
> me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
> the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!

The problem with using the Canon for selling prints is that the
print will fade much, much more quickly than prints from the
Epson. If someone buys a print intended for permanent display,
they might not be too happy if it fades in a year or so. The
print life depends on a number of factors - I'd suggest looking
at the printing forum at www.dpreview.com . A search will turn
up some good info, and you'll get a lot of replies if you post
there :-)
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 6:50:58 AM

The Epson R800 printer has an ink droplet size of 1.5 picolitre.

"Michael" <michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
> photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
> me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900.
Is
> the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 9:49:42 AM

> Oh and you're wrong - all the pros (and that's no apostrophe) I know use
> Canon.

How refreshing to find someone who can actually put an apostrophe in or take
it out at the right time.
Rob Graham
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 9:38:25 PM

Robin Graham wrote:
>> Oh and you're wrong - all the pros (and that's no apostrophe) I know
>> use Canon.
>
> How refreshing to find someone who can actually put an apostrophe in
> or take it out at the right time.
> Rob Graham

I don't know whether you're being facetious and/or sarcastic or not, Robin!
;o) I'll take it that you weren't and say I had proper English usage drummed
into my skull from a very early age. Just don't get me started! If I see
another Yank write "Your welcome" again, I think I might need urgent
hospitalisation! ;o)

Thanks for the compliment (if, indeed, that's what it was. It's hard to tell
over Usenet).
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:07:07 AM

Michael <michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com> writes:

> If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
> photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
> me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
> the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!

In general there are a lot of people who complain that Canon's fade rapidly
(and some who don't notice a fade, particularly if they put it under glass).
One of the guys in dpreview.com's printing forum who lives in Hawaii, says his
Canon output sometimes fades within weeks.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner wrote:
> Michael <michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
>>photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
>>me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
>>the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!
>

> In general there are a lot of people who complain that Canon's fade rapidly
> (and some who don't notice a fade, particularly if they put it under glass).
> One of the guys in dpreview.com's printing forum who lives in Hawaii, says his
> Canon output sometimes fades within weeks.

Unprotected, without a doubt prints on Canon's Photo Paper Pro faded
first in one of my simple tests.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 3:29:32 PM

Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message news:<m3wu0v4b9w.fsf@tiktok.the-meissners.org>...
> Michael <michaelmfl@nospamforme.yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > If I had never been an Epson user I would be buying the 2200 for my
> > photography business. But I have had an Epson, and the frequent clogs made
> > me swear to never buy another. I have been checking out the Canon i9900. Is
> > the output OK to sell to clients? Thanks!
>
> In general there are a lot of people who complain that Canon's fade rapidly
> (and some who don't notice a fade, particularly if they put it under glass).
> One of the guys in dpreview.com's printing forum who lives in Hawaii, says his
> Canon output sometimes fades within weeks.

Wilhelm has the Epson 2200 prints lasting 50 years on Epson's
appropriate glossy
paper. They have the Canon BCI-6 inks (same i9900 uses) at 38 years
on Canon's Paper Pro (actually, the older pre-improved version).
Info published on
pcworld's site somewhere i think (I've posted links to it in the
past).

I've a i9900 print of my wife glued to my terminal, about half inch
from
the CRT. It's out in the open and maybe 15~20 feet from a wall of
large
windows to the sunny outside (not directly lit). It's now about 3
months
with no visible fading.

Mike

P.S. - In the hot muggy heat one can have in Hawaii (my home state)
along
with intense sunshine, I'd imagine one could really stress a
print,
especially one not "protected". Add to it some nearby ozone
generating
things (like electronic air cleaners or laser printers) and
prints
are /really/ toast. :-)
!