Opteron 250

Anyone knows how it looks with the support of the new 2.4Ghz Opteron 250 at
current Tyan boards (namely the Thunder K86 S2880 in my case)?

Thanks,
Ivo Truxa
truXoft

Ivo Truxa wrote:

> Anyone knows how it looks with the support of the new 2.4Ghz Opteron 250 at
> current Tyan boards (namely the Thunder K86 S2880 in my case)?

I saw a review/benchmarking with dual Opty 250 on a Tyan S2885.
At TechReports, IIRC.

No reason to think the Opty would work on the S2885 but not the S2880.

There should be some news on the 250 support in about a week or so. If
S2885 supports it, no doubt a quick BIOS change will make the S2880
support it as well.

,)`Q

On 21 May 2004 13:37:09 GMT, Ivo Truxa <news019@truxoft.com> wrote:

>Anyone knows how it looks with the support of the new 2.4Ghz Opteron 250 at
>current Tyan boards (namely the Thunder K86 S2880 in my case)?
>
>Thanks,
>Ivo Truxa
>truXoft

JFYI: I've got replies directly from Tyan. One is telling no BIOS update
is necessary, the second one tells new BIOS is in the process of approval
by AMD:

#1:

#2:

squared root <squaredroot@complexeqn.edu> wrote

"Ivo Truxa" <news019@truxoft.com> wrote in message

> JFYI: I've got replies directly from Tyan. One is telling no BIOS update
> is necessary, the second one tells new BIOS is in the process of approval
> by AMD:

These two don't conflict.

> #1:
>> Yes, it will be support Opteron 250 at S2880, even the website
>> is not showing yet. Current version of BIOS should no problem
>> with Opteron 250, if you encounter any trouble in S2880.
>> Pls inform us.
>>
>> Have a nice day
>> Tyan/FAE

He's telling you the current BIOS *should* not create a problem.

> #2:
>> The bios is currently going through the qualification process
>> with AMD. We expect to have our results back soon. As soon
>> as we get the OK from AMD we will put the bios and the
>> updated CPU information on the website.

He's telling you the BIOS is going through the qualification process
with AMD.

It is quite possible that one version of the BIOS is known to work while
another version is going through the qualification process with AMD. Being
known to work and being qualified by the manufacturer of the CPU are totally
different.

DS