Pls Help: Backups using XP Pro and DVD-RW drive

June 10, 2005 2:23:07 PM

I want to do weekly manual drag and drop backups to my DVD-RW drive (using
XP Pro).

Question: Do I have to reformat my DVD-RW disc each time I want to do new
backups or can I simply put my DVD-RW disc in the drive and drag new
files/write them?

I seem to be having trouble appending data to an existing DVD-RW disc. It
won't let me append to a disc unless I reformat it and write it over again.
Is this the nature of the technology?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:15:03 PM

You can not use only XP for burn/format DVDs. XP onl;y handles CD-R(W)s.

If you want to "copy and paste" files onto the DVD-RW, consider looking at
Roxio's Drag to Disc or Ahead's InCD.

"VB Programmer" <xDontEmailMe@Dont.com> wrote in message
>I want to do weekly manual drag and drop backups to my DVD-RW drive (using
>XP Pro).
>
> Question: Do I have to reformat my DVD-RW disc each time I want to do new
> backups or can I simply put my DVD-RW disc in the drive and drag new
> files/write them?
>
> I seem to be having trouble appending data to an existing DVD-RW disc. It
> won't let me append to a disc unless I reformat it and write it over
> again. Is this the nature of the technology?
>
> Thanks.

June 10, 2005 8:36:44 PM

I may be wrong but it would appear that the op already has an application to
backup to dvd, he did state that he couldn't append to disc unless he
formatted which would imply that he must have written some data already.

You can not use only XP for burn/format DVDs. XP onl;y handles CD-R(W)s.

If you want to "copy and paste" files onto the DVD-RW, consider looking at
Roxio's Drag to Disc or Ahead's InCD.

"VB Programmer" <xDontEmailMe@Dont.com> wrote in message
>I want to do weekly manual drag and drop backups to my DVD-RW drive (using
>XP Pro).
>
> Question: Do I have to reformat my DVD-RW disc each time I want to do new
> backups or can I simply put my DVD-RW disc in the drive and drag new
> files/write them?
>
> I seem to be having trouble appending data to an existing DVD-RW disc. It
> won't let me append to a disc unless I reformat it and write it over
> again. Is this the nature of the technology?
>
> Thanks.

June 10, 2005 8:36:45 PM

I can burn to the DVD. I just can't append to it's existing contents. I
have to reformat first.

"Jimbo" <spamnot@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>I may be wrong but it would appear that the op already has an application
> backup to dvd, he did state that he couldn't append to disc unless he
> formatted which would imply that he must have written some data already.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> You can not use only XP for burn/format DVDs. XP onl;y handles CD-R(W)s.
>
> If you want to "copy and paste" files onto the DVD-RW, consider looking at
> Roxio's Drag to Disc or Ahead's InCD.
>

> "VB Programmer" <xDontEmailMe@Dont.com> wrote in message
>>I want to do weekly manual drag and drop backups to my DVD-RW drive (using
>>XP Pro).
>>
>> Question: Do I have to reformat my DVD-RW disc each time I want to do
>> new
>> backups or can I simply put my DVD-RW disc in the drive and drag new
>> files/write them?
>>
>> I seem to be having trouble appending data to an existing DVD-RW disc.
>> It
>> won't let me append to a disc unless I reformat it and write it over
>> again. Is this the nature of the technology?
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:36:46 PM

What CD/DVD mastering (burning) program are you using?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"VB Programmer" <xDontEmailMe@Dont.com> wrote in message news:e%23b4jGebFHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
|I can burn to the DVD. I just can't append to it's existing contents. I
| have to reformat first.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:59:26 PM

Just windows xp drag/drop.

What do you recommend for backups and appending to existing data on DVD-RW
discs?

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
What CD/DVD mastering (burning) program are you using?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"VB Programmer" <xDontEmailMe@Dont.com> wrote in message
|I can burn to the DVD. I just can't append to it's existing contents. I
| have to reformat first.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:35:05 PM

I use Sonic Recordnow and DLA, part of My DVD suite from www.sonic.com.

With the native Windows program a a DVD-RW needs to be erased before appending. Open Help & Support and type CD burn. Look in the KB section.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

!