USB virtual printer port not available for HP 6540

Trying to connect HP Deskjet 6540 to a vanilla Dell USB port. Expecting the
"New Hardware found" dialog but there is no reaction. Trying to add the port
type myself doesn't work - even though HP provides a driver. Device Mgr
shows all the USB ports and controllers no problem, and there is a USB mouse
on the PC so I believe the BIOS is okay.

All suggestions welcome!
5 answers Last reply
More about virtual printer port 6540

    Did you install the software before you connected the device?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "John F" <john@taminc[nospam].com> wrote in message
    > Trying to connect HP Deskjet 6540 to a vanilla Dell USB port. Expecting
    > the
    > "New Hardware found" dialog but there is no reaction. Trying to add the
    > port
    > type myself doesn't work - even though HP provides a driver. Device Mgr
    > shows all the USB ports and controllers no problem, and there is a USB
    > mouse
    > on the PC so I believe the BIOS is okay.
    >
    > All suggestions welcome!

    Isn't that one of the printers that you need to run the complete
    software install before you attach the printer? Double-check the
    installation instructions.

    John F wrote:

    > Trying to connect HP Deskjet 6540 to a vanilla Dell USB port. Expecting the
    > "New Hardware found" dialog but there is no reaction. Trying to add the port
    > type myself doesn't work - even though HP provides a driver. Device Mgr
    > shows all the USB ports and controllers no problem, and there is a USB mouse
    > on the PC so I believe the BIOS is okay.
    >
    > All suggestions welcome!

    It says to insert the CD once the "New Hardware Found" message comes up and
    you choose "Have Disk".
    However, as you suggested, I just tried installing the software first and
    still can't locate or create a USB virtual printer port.
    I have verified that the printer and USB cable are both good by connecting
    to my laptop - the NHF message came right up, even with Symantec AV enabled.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Isn't that one of the printers that you need to run the complete
    > software install before you attach the printer? Double-check the
    > installation instructions.
    >
    > John F wrote:
    >
    > > Trying to connect HP Deskjet 6540 to a vanilla Dell USB port. Expecting the
    > > "New Hardware found" dialog but there is no reaction. Trying to add the port
    > > type myself doesn't work - even though HP provides a driver. Device Mgr
    > > shows all the USB ports and controllers no problem, and there is a USB mouse
    > > on the PC so I believe the BIOS is okay.
    > >
    > > All suggestions welcome!

    Have you asked HP support?
    Did you install the software first, before you hooked up the printer?
    I have two of these printers on oem machines, both work no problems.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    You may need to temporarily disable A-V. I occasionally have had
    non-discovery of "new" USB devices with A-V enabled and as soon as I
    unloaded A-V, it worked as expected, re-enabling afterward to resume
    protecting the system.

    John F wrote:

    > It says to insert the CD once the "New Hardware Found" message comes up and
    > you choose "Have Disk".
    > However, as you suggested, I just tried installing the software first and
    > still can't locate or create a USB virtual printer port.
    > I have verified that the printer and USB cable are both good by connecting
    > to my laptop - the NHF message came right up, even with Symantec AV enabled.
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>Isn't that one of the printers that you need to run the complete
    >>software install before you attach the printer? Double-check the
    >>installation instructions.
    >>
    >>John F wrote:
    >>

    >>>Trying to connect HP Deskjet 6540 to a vanilla Dell USB port. Expecting the
    >>>"New Hardware found" dialog but there is no reaction. Trying to add the port
    >>>type myself doesn't work - even though HP provides a driver. Device Mgr
    >>>shows all the USB ports and controllers no problem, and there is a USB mouse
    >>>on the PC so I believe the BIOS is okay.
    >>>
    >>>All suggestions welcome!

Hewlett Packard USB Windows XP