The 1st arcade game you ever saw (or remember)?

I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was painted
on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if you ran off
the road.

[I've only realised typing this email that I now work a few hundred metres
up the road from the site of that original shopping centre - and walk down
there occasionally at lunchtime to visit the (now completely rebuilt)
shopping centre. I wonder if I've sat in the food court and eaten lunch at
the very same spot I played that driving game so long ago? "You are entering
- The Twilight Zone!" ;)]

As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local Police
Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a week after gym
class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it had finished to
collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.

I'm pretty sure my next game was Space Invaders, then Galaxian, though I
can't recall exactly where I first saw them. I do remember playing both at
the local Putt-Putt Golf centre over the bridge in Taren Pt. I also recall
successfully using the igniter out of a school heater (wasn't mine - I
swear!) to get free credits on the cocktail SI there.

Hey - there's an idea! Need to add a keystroke to the MAME UI to emulate an
igniter next to the coin mech! Perhaps have the keystroke add a credit
every, say, 1 in 4 presses on average! :)

[Funny to think all these years later I still play those two games - on my
PC (MAME), TRS-80 Model 4P (yes, the arcade SI!), Dreamcast (MAME) and
NanoBoard (FPGA emulation)!]

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"
22 answers Last reply
More about arcade game remember

    * Mark McDougall wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
    > centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
    > years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was painted
    > on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if you ran off
    > the road.

    I rememeber quit a few of these types of games. One with a helicopter,
    another with a bulldozer. I am sure you remember the baseball one.

    > As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local Police
    > Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a week after gym
    > class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it had finished to
    > collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.

    Certainly Pong, Gun Fight/Boot Hill, Night Driver and Breakout are the
    big standouts.

    --
    David
    Not that I have anything much against redundancy. But I said that already.

    Mark McDougall wrote on 14. April 2005:

    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the
    > shopping centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very*
    > young - over 30 years ago!

    You must be very old. ;-)

    But we might be the same age, I also seem to recall it, and it might be
    30 years ago.

    > It looked like a matchbox car on a stick
    > and the road was painted on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it
    > actually detected if you ran off the road.

    At least it's no computer game emulated by MAME. The first game is Gun
    Fight (1975). The "car stick on film" must be from the very early 70s,
    may be 1973.

    [...]

    > As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local
    > Police Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a
    > week after gym class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it
    > had finished to collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.

    Aah, that were times. Though I think I was too young for Pong in an
    arcade (friends had it for the TV screen) I had this when Donkey Kong
    came out in 1981. Rushed out of school and into the city, skipping meal
    (told my mom before I had to go to the city to meet friends ;-) and had
    some french fries instead, and then watched people playing Donkey Kong
    for hours. I was 14 and did not spent too much money for video games back
    then, prefered to watch others.

    [...]
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Mark McDougall <msmcdoug@no.spam.iinet> wrote in a cheese induced coma

    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the
    > shopping centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very*
    > young - over 30 years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick
    > and the road was painted on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it
    > actually detected if you ran off the road.
    >
    > [I've only realised typing this email that I now work a few hundred
    > metres up the road from the site of that original shopping centre -
    > and walk down there occasionally at lunchtime to visit the (now
    > completely rebuilt) shopping centre. I wonder if I've sat in the food
    > court and eaten lunch at the very same spot I played that driving game
    > so long ago? "You are entering - The Twilight Zone!" ;)]
    >
    > As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local
    > Police Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a
    > week after gym class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it
    > had finished to collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure my next game was Space Invaders, then Galaxian, though
    > I can't recall exactly where I first saw them. I do remember playing
    > both at the local Putt-Putt Golf centre over the bridge in Taren Pt. I
    > also recall successfully using the igniter out of a school heater
    > (wasn't mine - I swear!) to get free credits on the cocktail SI there.
    >
    > Hey - there's an idea! Need to add a keystroke to the MAME UI to
    > emulate an igniter next to the coin mech! Perhaps have the keystroke
    > add a credit every, say, 1 in 4 presses on average! :)
    >
    > [Funny to think all these years later I still play those two games -
    > on my PC (MAME), TRS-80 Model 4P (yes, the arcade SI!), Dreamcast
    > (MAME) and NanoBoard (FPGA emulation)!]
    >
    > Regards,

    Oh yes, I do remember those REALLY old games! The one you mentioned, the
    one with the helicopter. I also remember the one that is kinda like the
    one you mentioned except it appeared to be a car projected on a vertical
    white disk that was always turning to the left, as if you were driving on
    a perfect circle track. Other cars would come up at you and if you hit
    one or ran off the road it switched to an image of you car broken in half
    and in flames. I also remember the classic old baseball games that
    actually launched steel balls out of a chute and you would press the
    button and the little bat would hit the ball and if you hit it high
    enough it was a home run, Those were great fun!

    --
    Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

    See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
    http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

    Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

    MAME: Forever Young!

    I *think* the first game I really recall seeing must have been Buggy
    Challenge. I remember being very small, probably about 7 years old, and
    going to the arcade with my parents. I was too small to play or even
    reach the games, so I mostly just watched (and "helped") my Dad play.
    For whatever reason, the only game I remember distinctly from that day
    was a third-person off-road racing game with a dune buggy. Speed
    Buggy/Buggy Boy is too recent (I was already deep into my own videogame
    addiction and coveting an NES by 1986), and no other game I've seen is a
    visual match.

    -D.

    Mark McDougall wrote:
    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
    > centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
    > years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was
    > painted on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if
    > you ran off the road.
    -----8<-----

    The first one I remember begging my mom for change for was a mechanical
    tank game in the early 70's. You moved it left and right to shoot down
    planes that flew overhead. I can still have a rather grainy video
    memory of it. <SIGH> Good times!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    looks like i'm one of the youngest one.

    mine would be express raider. back in 1986.

    brings back good old memories.

    Amedeo Storni wrote:
    > "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug@no.spam.iinet> wrote in message
    > > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the
    shopping
    > > centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young -
    over 30
    > > years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road
    was
    > painted
    > > on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if
    you ran
    > off
    > > the road.
    >
    > I remember that game. Yes, it detected when an obstacle was hit, when
    the
    > car ran off the road, and even if the car didn't actually stop at the
    STOP
    > sign.
    > The first videogame I saw was obviously Pong.
    > Other mechanical games I remember in the arcades:
    >
    > - A metal ball had to follow a track without falling in the holes,
    you
    > control it with a steering wheel and pedals that inclinate the road
    > - Two players, a ping-pong ball had to be pushed into the opponent's
    goal
    > with two jets of water
    >
    > I am probably older than you, and I remember that for a long time
    > flippers/pinballs occupied over 90% of any arcade.
    >
    > AS

    Helicopter on a stick? Helicicle?

    Take a look at this guys arcade chopper project

    http://tinyurl.com/doe67

    Super Mappy wrote:
    > I also remember the classic old baseball games that
    > actually launched steel balls out of a chute and you would press the
    > button and the little bat would hit the ball and if you hit it high
    > enough it was a home run, Those were great fun!

    They still have several of those at Funspot in Laconia, NH. The last
    time we were there, my girlfriend was absolutely enthralled with them...
    which is funny, because she has little to no interest in real life baseball.

    -D.

    SINNER played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
    concrete saxophone
    <snipped by the nostalgia police>

    > Certainly Pong, Gun Fight/Boot Hill, Night Driver and Breakout are the
    > big standouts.

    Mine too. Pong and Boot Hill at the Sandy Lodge hotel in Newquay, Cornwall
    in 1977. At seven years old they were the only thing I could kick my dad's
    ass at :D

    Gun Fight / Boot Hill. It was love at first sight.
    --
    FSogol

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:59:42 +1000, Mark McDougall
    <msmcdoug@no.spam.iinet> wrote:

    >I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
    >centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
    >years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was painted
    >on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if you ran off
    >the road.
    >
    >[I've only realised typing this email that I now work a few hundred metres
    >up the road from the site of that original shopping centre - and walk down
    >there occasionally at lunchtime to visit the (now completely rebuilt)
    >shopping centre. I wonder if I've sat in the food court and eaten lunch at
    >the very same spot I played that driving game so long ago? "You are entering
    >- The Twilight Zone!" ;)]
    >
    >As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local Police
    >Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a week after gym
    >class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it had finished to
    >collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.
    >
    >I'm pretty sure my next game was Space Invaders, then Galaxian, though I
    >can't recall exactly where I first saw them. I do remember playing both at
    >the local Putt-Putt Golf centre over the bridge in Taren Pt. I also recall
    >successfully using the igniter out of a school heater (wasn't mine - I
    >swear!) to get free credits on the cocktail SI there.
    >
    >Hey - there's an idea! Need to add a keystroke to the MAME UI to emulate an
    >igniter next to the coin mech! Perhaps have the keystroke add a credit
    >every, say, 1 in 4 presses on average! :)
    >
    >[Funny to think all these years later I still play those two games - on my
    >PC (MAME), TRS-80 Model 4P (yes, the arcade SI!), Dreamcast (MAME) and
    >NanoBoard (FPGA emulation)!]
    >
    >Regards,

    I believe it was Space Race and it was 1975 or 1976?

    "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug@no.spam.iinet> wrote in message
    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
    > centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
    > years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was
    painted
    > on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if you ran
    off
    > the road.

    I remember that game. Yes, it detected when an obstacle was hit, when the
    car ran off the road, and even if the car didn't actually stop at the STOP
    sign.
    The first videogame I saw was obviously Pong.
    Other mechanical games I remember in the arcades:

    - A metal ball had to follow a track without falling in the holes, you
    control it with a steering wheel and pedals that inclinate the road
    - Two players, a ping-pong ball had to be pushed into the opponent's goal
    with two jets of water

    I am probably older than you, and I remember that for a long time
    flippers/pinballs occupied over 90% of any arcade.

    AS

    Before video games, I used to play pinball games in airports.

    The first video game I ever saw was, of course, Pong. And I think I saw
    it in the hallway of a shopping mall before I saw it in an airport.

    I remember playing Qix shortly after that.

    The first video game that I saw with "real characters" in it was
    Burgertime. I remember that one in a pizza-and-burger joint somewhere in
    the southern USA. Arkansas or Tennessee, maybe.

    Mark McDougall wrote:
    > I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the
    > shopping centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very*
    > young - over 30 years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick
    > and the road was painted on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it
    > actually detected if you ran off the road.
    >
    > [I've only realised typing this email that I now work a few hundred
    > metres up the road from the site of that original shopping centre -
    > and walk down there occasionally at lunchtime to visit the (now
    > completely rebuilt) shopping centre. I wonder if I've sat in the food
    > court and eaten lunch at the very same spot I played that driving
    > game so long ago? "You are entering - The Twilight Zone!" ;)]
    >
    > As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local
    > Police Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a
    > week after gym class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it
    > had finished to collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.

    First would have been Pong or something very similar at the Cricket club my
    dad used to play at.
    Then I think that got replaced with space invaders.
    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    In a parallel universe, Anti-Mark McDougall said exactly the opposite
    of:

    [snip]

    The earliest games I remember seeing are Monster Bash and Time Pilot.
    Both were side by side 'chez ti-marc' (a greasy spoon restaurant) near
    where I used to live. I don't remember which of these I played first, but
    I know I played more Time Pilot than Monster Bash, as I was better at it
    and could get more from my quarter. My parents did'nt want me going 'chez
    ti-marc' and since we had an Intellivision console at home, they didn't
    want to give me money for arcades so I'd get money to play games by
    returning beer bottles I'd find or by looking in the coin return slot in
    pay phones. At bigger arcades there was always the trick of crashing a
    machine and telling the attendant that you lost a quarter in it. But
    you couldn't do that one too often... ;-) Once or twice I was lucky
    enough to find a machine with an unlocked coin box (emptied by someone
    before me I'd guess now) and to be able to just flick myself credits with
    the switch. Ahhh... The good old days! :-)

    Some games had a switch (probably aftermarket modification) on top to
    turn them on and off, and in some cases flicking the switch back and
    forth rapidly made the machine start and crash. And in one case I
    remember (I think it was with a Juno First) that the aforementioned trick
    brought us to a menu where we were able to set the machine to free play.
    --
    "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
    sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

    Mine was a 4 player PONG cocktail at Sydney Airport (International terminal)
    in the 70's.

    After that it was an Atari Super Bug. Not long after this the first arcade
    opened in town and the rest is history. Happy Days. :o)

    --
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour

    Clone: http://www.geocites.com/thepinnyparlour

    IPM Invader (coffee break invaders) http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader

    .... after inserting a credit, Dave Malaguti <no@spam.please> leaned
    forward and saw...

    >They still have several of those at Funspot in Laconia, NH.

    *bing* - that rings a bell. Think that's the one that hosted the UK+USA
    MAME gathering...
    --
    "That's the price that we all pay
    Our valued destiny comes to nothing.

    LOL.... now this would be an awesome thread!

    "What did *you* do to get a free game?"

    --
    "Sorry, I'm just... It's starting to hit me like a... um... um... two ton...
    heavy thing."

    "K.os" <K.os023@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In a parallel universe, Anti-Mark McDougall said exactly the opposite
    > of:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > The earliest games I remember seeing are Monster Bash and Time Pilot.
    > Both were side by side 'chez ti-marc' (a greasy spoon restaurant) near
    > where I used to live. I don't remember which of these I played first, but
    > I know I played more Time Pilot than Monster Bash, as I was better at it
    > and could get more from my quarter. My parents did'nt want me going 'chez
    > ti-marc' and since we had an Intellivision console at home, they didn't
    > want to give me money for arcades so I'd get money to play games by
    > returning beer bottles I'd find or by looking in the coin return slot in
    > pay phones. At bigger arcades there was always the trick of crashing a
    > machine and telling the attendant that you lost a quarter in it. But
    > you couldn't do that one too often... ;-) Once or twice I was lucky
    > enough to find a machine with an unlocked coin box (emptied by someone
    > before me I'd guess now) and to be able to just flick myself credits with
    > the switch. Ahhh... The good old days! :-)
    >
    > Some games had a switch (probably aftermarket modification) on top to
    > turn them on and off, and in some cases flicking the switch back and
    > forth rapidly made the machine start and crash. And in one case I
    > remember (I think it was with a Juno First) that the aforementioned trick
    > brought us to a menu where we were able to set the machine to free play.
    > --
    > "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
    > sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
    > point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
    > D. N. Adams

    Pong and Boot Hill were the first that came to mind. However, I seem to
    remember a very cheesy rocket shooter that I played long before those.

    After putting in a quarter, a plethora of blue rocket ships would be
    projected onto the "roof" of the cabinet traveling rear to front (apparently
    a light would shine through a transparent conveyor). The player would
    control a single white rocket with a single side to side joystick trying to
    shoot the blue rockets. I think the player would actually see a mirror image
    of the rocket (hell, I was too young to understand such advanced
    technology). Occasionally, I would get lucky and hit one and a small (but
    VERY loud) explosion would appear.

    That's really all that I remember, but man would I get a kick out of seeing
    one of those again!

    --
    "Sorry, I'm just... It's starting to hit me like a... um... um... two ton...
    heavy thing."

    "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug@no.spam.iinet> wrote in message
    >I recall seeing (and playing) a mechanical driving game in the shopping
    >centre at Rockdale (Sydney, Australia) when I was *very* young - over 30
    >years ago! It looked like a matchbox car on a stick and the road was
    >painted on a rolling drum, IIRC. Not sure if/how it actually detected if
    >you ran off the road.
    >
    > [I've only realised typing this email that I now work a few hundred metres
    > up the road from the site of that original shopping centre - and walk down
    > there occasionally at lunchtime to visit the (now completely rebuilt)
    > shopping centre. I wonder if I've sat in the food court and eaten lunch at
    > the very same spot I played that driving game so long ago? "You are
    > entering - The Twilight Zone!" ;)]
    >
    > As for strictly *video* games, there was a Pong machine at the local
    > Police Boys Youth Club (also Rockdale) which I used to play once a week
    > after gym class. I can recall running out of class as soon as it had
    > finished to collect a 20c coin from my father to play the game.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure my next game was Space Invaders, then Galaxian, though I
    > can't recall exactly where I first saw them. I do remember playing both at
    > the local Putt-Putt Golf centre over the bridge in Taren Pt. I also recall
    > successfully using the igniter out of a school heater (wasn't mine - I
    > swear!) to get free credits on the cocktail SI there.
    >
    > Hey - there's an idea! Need to add a keystroke to the MAME UI to emulate
    > an igniter next to the coin mech! Perhaps have the keystroke add a credit
    > every, say, 1 in 4 presses on average! :)
    >
    > [Funny to think all these years later I still play those two games - on my
    > PC (MAME), TRS-80 Model 4P (yes, the arcade SI!), Dreamcast (MAME) and
    > NanoBoard (FPGA emulation)!]
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > | Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
    > | <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

    First arcade game was a Chicago Coin "Motorcycle" game.
    First video games were Pong & Gunfight.

    Is this the driving game you were talking about?
    http://www.marvin3m.com/arcade/spshift.htm

    Rick

    "the haaarpers" <rlharper@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Is this the driving game you were talking about?
    > http://www.marvin3m.com/arcade/spshift.htm

    No, the one I saw was different, with a simpler design.

    AS

Games Video Games Product