Trinity 400 S1854 Missing JP21 Jumper?

Has anyone noticed JP21 missing on their S1854 motherboard?

I'm trying to set up the jumpers to run a Slot 1 CPU, and
according to the manual I should have J21 closed. I can find
the markings on the board for JP21 but there are no pins or
jumper. The holes for the jumper pins are filled with solder.
Yes, this a brand new board!

Or, could the board detect which CPU is installed without
needing a jumper?

Perplexed,
Mark

Mark,

If you don't have it, don't worry. According to my MB manual not all
versions of the S1854 have a JP21. If you do, then the settings for a Slot
1 CPU is "close" and "open" for a socket CPU. Mine doesn't and I am running
a socket.

Don

"Mark Long" <long-caso@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone noticed JP21 missing on their S1854 motherboard?
>
> I'm trying to set up the jumpers to run a Slot 1 CPU, and
> according to the manual I should have J21 closed. I can find
> the markings on the board for JP21 but there are no pins or
> jumper. The holes for the jumper pins are filled with solder.
> Yes, this a brand new board!
>
> Or, could the board detect which CPU is installed without
> needing a jumper?
>
> Perplexed,
> Mark

Don,

But I am trying to set up for Slot 1 which needs it to be "close".
I have no place to put the jumper to make it "close".

Mark

Don/Gen wrote:

> Mark,
>
> If you don't have it, don't worry. According to my MB manual not all
> versions of the S1854 have a JP21. If you do, then the settings for a Slot
> 1 CPU is "close" and "open" for a socket CPU. Mine doesn't and I am running
> a socket.
>
> Don
>
> "Mark Long" <long-caso@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone noticed JP21 missing on their S1854 motherboard?
>>
>>I'm trying to set up the jumpers to run a Slot 1 CPU, and
>>according to the manual I should have J21 closed. I can find
>>the markings on the board for JP21 but there are no pins or
>>jumper. The holes for the jumper pins are filled with solder.
>>Yes, this a brand new board!
>>
>>Or, could the board detect which CPU is installed without
>>needing a jumper?
>>
>>Perplexed,
>>Mark

Mark,

Don't know what else to add, other than installing a Slot 1 and
powering -up! The CPU may automatically be recognized.

> Don,
>
> But I am trying to set up for Slot 1 which needs it to be "close".
> I have no place to put the jumper to make it "close".
>
> Mark
>
> Don/Gen wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > If you don't have it, don't worry. According to my MB manual not all
> > versions of the S1854 have a JP21. If you do, then the settings for a
Slot
> > 1 CPU is "close" and "open" for a socket CPU. Mine doesn't and I am
running
> > a socket.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > "Mark Long" <long-caso@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Has anyone noticed JP21 missing on their S1854 motherboard?
> >>
> >>I'm trying to set up the jumpers to run a Slot 1 CPU, and
> >>according to the manual I should have J21 closed. I can find
> >>the markings on the board for JP21 but there are no pins or
> >>jumper. The holes for the jumper pins are filled with solder.
> >>Yes, this a brand new board!
> >>
> >>Or, could the board detect which CPU is installed without
> >>needing a jumper?
> >>
> >>Perplexed,
> >>Mark

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Don/Gen wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Don't know what else to add, other than installing a Slot 1 and
> powering -up! The CPU may automatically be recognized.

This FAQ page at Tyan's site may offer assistance. It states...

"In some versions of the S1854, there is an extra jumper setting
(JP21) for CPU selection. If you are using a Slot1 Type CPU,
please close the jumper. If your are using a Socket CPU, please
leave the jumper open. This addendum applies ONLY to those who
have Jumper JP21 on their S1854 board. If your S1854 does not
have Jumper JP21, please disregard this addendum."

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/a_s1854.html

Eric

I got a reply from Tyan today,

As of a couple of years ago the boards have the ability to
detect which type of CPU is installed without needing a
jumper setting.

Thanks,
Mark