cd/rw causing windows to freeze?

my system freezes up randomly every other day or so for about 20-30 seconds.
I cant move my mouse or do anything else and when it does it disables my
printer untill i reboot and i get this error message in the event viewer.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

it tells me to replace the cable and i will when i can but i dont think that
will solve the problem. I reformatted my HD and it still does it. any
thoughts?

windows xp home edition sp2
AMD XP 2800+
gigabyte 7n400-L
geforce 6600gt
msi cr52 cd/RW
120gig samsung spinpoint
sound blaster audigy gamer
corsair value select 1gig pc3200 RAM
enlight 420w PSU

Drivers for CD & DVD drives would be coming from Windows XP. Under
Device Manager, uninstall the drive and then restart, Windows should
automatically reinstall it and solve the possible conflict.
Unplug the drive (power supply & cable) see if you get a normal
boot-up.
Other choices are; bad power supply to drive, dirty lens in drive.
But doubtful.
Best,
Treeman

--