Natural Keyboard freezes on startup

June 11, 2005 1:08:02 AM

I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely unresponsive
each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock lights don't
toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if I
Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it reappears and
works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new hardware.
If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.

I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't make a
difference.
Other standard keyboards work normally.

Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural Keyboard
Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the Microsoft
hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the Natural
Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/syst...
but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in the
'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The Part Number
is 60287 which also isn't listed.

I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of windows
(98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device Manager
>Uninstall> Scan, until anyone out there can help me solve this problem.

thanks in advance,
Pip
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:00:19 PM

simply try to disable keyboard in device manager by
right button mouse -> Disable, and then
right button -> Enable

i do so :)
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:37:36 PM

And you don't suspect the keyboard? Why NOT?

I have replaced 2-3 Microsoft keyboards that have gone south. One of them
prevented the computer from booting. I thought the M/B had gone bad!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Pip" <Pip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely
>unresponsive
> each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock lights
> don't
> toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if I
> Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it reappears
> and
> works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new
> hardware.
> If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.
>
> I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't make a
> difference.
> Other standard keyboards work normally.
>
> Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural
> Keyboard
> Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the Microsoft
> hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the Natural
> Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/syst...
> but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in the
> 'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The Part
> Number
> is 60287 which also isn't listed.
>
> I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of windows
> (98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device Manager
>>Uninstall> Scan, until anyone out there can help me solve this problem.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Pip
Related resources
June 13, 2005 8:15:01 PM

Yes this does have the same effect as uninstall-scan but doesn't solve the
basic problem.

"rinat" wrote:

> simply try to disable keyboard in device manager by
> right button mouse -> Disable, and then
> right button -> Enable
>
> i do so :)

June 13, 2005 8:16:02 PM

Because as I said, it still works on other operating sytems and computers
(and other keyboards work on this computer).

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> And you don't suspect the keyboard? Why NOT?
>
> I have replaced 2-3 Microsoft keyboards that have gone south. One of them
> prevented the computer from booting. I thought the M/B had gone bad!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Pip" <Pip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely
> >unresponsive
> > each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock lights
> > don't
> > toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if I
> > Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it reappears
> > and
> > works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new
> > hardware.
> > If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.
> >
> > I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't make a
> > difference.
> > Other standard keyboards work normally.
> >
> > Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural
> > Keyboard
> > Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the Microsoft
> > hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the Natural
> > Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
> > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/syst...
> > but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in the
> > 'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The Part
> > Number
> > is 60287 which also isn't listed.
> >
> > I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of windows
> > (98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device Manager
> >>Uninstall> Scan, until anyone out there can help me solve this problem.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > Pip

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:01:09 AM

=?Utf-8?B?UGlw?= Wrote:
> Because as I said, it still works on other operating sytems and
> computers
> (and other keyboards work on this computer).
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > And you don't suspect the keyboard? Why NOT?
> >
> > I have replaced 2-3 Microsoft keyboards that have gone south. One of
> them
> > prevented the computer from booting. I thought the M/B had gone bad!
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >

> > "Pip" wrote in message
> > >I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely
> > >unresponsive
> > > each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock
> lights
> > > don't
> > > toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if
> > > Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it
> reappears
> > > and
> > > works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new
> > > hardware.
> > > If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.
> > >
> > > I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't
> make a
> > > difference.
> > > Other standard keyboards work normally.
> > >
> > > Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural
> > > Keyboard
> > > Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the
> Microsoft
> > > hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the
> Natural
> > > Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
> > > http://tinyurl.com/cruhe
> > > but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in
> the
> > > 'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The
> Part
> > > Number
> > > is 60287 which also isn't listed.
> > >
> > > I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of
> windows
> > > (98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device
> Manager
> problem.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance,
> > > Pip

It could be your Plug n play. Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? If you
disable the plug n play which winxp recommends, this could be your
problem. After you disable your plug n play, see if you can cold boot
without a freeze up. If you can't and get back to windows, leave plug n
play disabled and try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall or
update the driver.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 14, 2005 11:01:10 AM

No it's a PS2 keyboard. I will try what you recommend - I presume you mean
P&P in the BIOS settings? (I didn't know XP recommends disabling this -
RTFM!). I guess I could also try a PS2 to USB converter widget...

cheers, will let you know how I go.

"PCDaddy" wrote:
> It could be your Plug n play. Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? If you
> disable the plug n play which winxp recommends, this could be your
> problem. After you disable your plug n play, see if you can cold boot
> without a freeze up. If you can't and get back to windows, leave plug n
> play disabled and try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall or
> update the driver.
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:44:06 PM

=?Utf-8?B?UGlw?= Wrote:
> No it's a PS2 keyboard. I will try what you recommend - I presume you
> mean
> P&P in the BIOS settings? (I didn't know XP recommends disabling this -
> RTFM!). I guess I could also try a PS2 to USB converter widget...
>
> cheers, will let you know how I go.
>
> "PCDaddy" wrote:
> > It could be your Plug n play. Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? If you
> > disable the plug n play which winxp recommends, this could be your
> > problem. After you disable your plug n play, see if you can cold boot
> > without a freeze up. If you can't and get back to windows, leave plug
> > play disabled and try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall
> or
> > update the driver.
> >

> > --
> > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Yes i did mean in the bios settings, sorry about that. Let me know how
it goes.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
!