K7 under XP and slow hard drive access

Hi,
I've got a K7 running dual 1.6 AMD Athlon processors. i just upgraded to XP
pro because of a software requirement, but when I did my hard disk read time
dropped to 3.8 and write to 3.2 MB/s. I've benchmarked these times on two
different programs.

I'm running a set of Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm hard drives. They both test
about the same, and they've been defragged and error checked.

The video is a matrox G550, and the only other card in the system is a
Canopus DV-Storm video editing card.
msinfo32 doesn't show any collisions, just a couple of shared IRQs.

Has anyone else seen these, or know of any possible tweaks?

Thanks.
-Don-

---

Don Pickerel wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a K7 running dual 1.6 AMD Athlon processors. i just upgraded to XP
> pro because of a software requirement, but when I did my hard disk read time
> dropped to 3.8 and write to 3.2 MB/s. I've benchmarked these times on two
> different programs.
>
> I'm running a set of Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm hard drives. They both test
> about the same, and they've been defragged and error checked.
>
> The video is a matrox G550, and the only other card in the system is a
> Canopus DV-Storm video editing card.
> msinfo32 doesn't show any collisions, just a couple of shared IRQs.
>
> Has anyone else seen these, or know of any possible tweaks?
>
> Thanks.
> -Don-

Did you install the IDE drivers for the chipset? You can download latest
ones from Tyan or AMD site.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that I'm running v1.32, a pre-xp version.
I've downloaded 1.43s.

It says I have to uninstall the old driver first. If I do that, but don't
restart, I still can't install the upgrade. If I do a restart, the old
driver is re-installed. Any hints?

Regards,

-Don-

"Mark Morreau" <mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote in message

> Don Pickerel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've got a K7 running dual 1.6 AMD Athlon processors. i just upgraded to
XP
> > pro because of a software requirement, but when I did my hard disk read
time
> > dropped to 3.8 and write to 3.2 MB/s. I've benchmarked these times on
two
> > different programs.
> >
> > I'm running a set of Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm hard drives. They both test
> > about the same, and they've been defragged and error checked.
> >
> > The video is a matrox G550, and the only other card in the system is a
> > Canopus DV-Storm video editing card.
> > msinfo32 doesn't show any collisions, just a couple of shared IRQs.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen these, or know of any possible tweaks?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > -Don-
> >

> Did you install the IDE drivers for the chipset? You can download latest
> ones from Tyan or AMD site.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

---

Hi Don,

What if you do it like this...

start/settings/contol panel/administrative tools/computer
management/device manager
Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI conrollets
Right click the IDE Controller (mine says AMD-766 PCI Bus Master IDE
Controller V1.43) go update driver / from specified location and point
it at where you've unzipped the newer drivers?

Gotta be worth a go!

Also while you're there check that the Primary and Secondary IDE
channels are set to the approprate DMA settings.

That's all I can think of right now. I have the same Mobo as you with DV
Storm 2 too, but all SCSI HDDs.

BTW was this an upgrade or a clean install of WinXP?

Cheers

Mark

Don Pickerel wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I noticed that I'm running v1.32, a pre-xp version.
> I've downloaded 1.43s.
>
> It says I have to uninstall the old driver first. If I do that, but don't
> restart, I still can't install the upgrade. If I do a restart, the old
> driver is re-installed. Any hints?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Don-
>
> "Mark Morreau" <mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>Don Pickerel wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I've got a K7 running dual 1.6 AMD Athlon processors. i just upgraded to
>
> XP
>
>>>pro because of a software requirement, but when I did my hard disk read
>
> time
>
>>>dropped to 3.8 and write to 3.2 MB/s. I've benchmarked these times on
>
> two
>
>>>different programs.
>>>
>>>I'm running a set of Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm hard drives. They both test
>>>about the same, and they've been defragged and error checked.
>>>
>>>The video is a matrox G550, and the only other card in the system is a
>>>Canopus DV-Storm video editing card.
>>>msinfo32 doesn't show any collisions, just a couple of shared IRQs.
>>>
>>>Has anyone else seen these, or know of any possible tweaks?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>-Don-
>>>

>>Did you install the IDE drivers for the chipset? You can download latest
>>ones from Tyan or AMD site.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Mark

Hi Mark,
That would work if I had files to unzip. Unfortunately, all either site has
is an installer which gets me nowhere. And adding some irony, the system
blue-screened while I was posting to the amd support forum.

This was an upgrade. W2K works, but I'm afraid I'd lose all my programs if I
retrograde. And I understand Premier Pro requires XP.

> Hi Don,
>
> What if you do it like this...
>
> start/settings/contol panel/administrative tools/computer
> management/device manager
> Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI conrollets
> Right click the IDE Controller (mine says AMD-766 PCI Bus Master IDE
> Controller V1.43) go update driver / from specified location and point
> it at where you've unzipped the newer drivers?
>
> Gotta be worth a go!
>
> Also while you're there check that the Primary and Secondary IDE
> channels are set to the approprate DMA settings.
>
> That's all I can think of right now. I have the same Mobo as you with DV
> Storm 2 too, but all SCSI HDDs.
>
> BTW was this an upgrade or a clean install of WinXP?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark
>

> Don Pickerel wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I noticed that I'm running v1.32, a pre-xp
version.
> > I've downloaded 1.43s.
> >
> > It says I have to uninstall the old driver first. If I do that, but
don't
> > restart, I still can't install the upgrade. If I do a restart, the old
> > driver is re-installed. Any hints?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Don-
> >
> > "Mark Morreau" <mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote in message

> > XP

> > time

> > two

> >>Did you install the IDE drivers for the chipset? You can download latest
> >>ones from Tyan or AMD site.
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>
> >>Mark

---

Hi,

Is there any chance someone could send me the .sys file for the ide driver?
Looks like that's the only way I'm going to be able to load it.

Thanks.

-Don-

"Mark Morreau" <mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi Don,
>
> What if you do it like this...
>
> start/settings/contol panel/administrative tools/computer
> management/device manager
> Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI conrollets
> Right click the IDE Controller (mine says AMD-766 PCI Bus Master IDE
> Controller V1.43) go update driver / from specified location and point
> it at where you've unzipped the newer drivers?
>
> Gotta be worth a go!
>
> Also while you're there check that the Primary and Secondary IDE
> channels are set to the approprate DMA settings.
>
> That's all I can think of right now. I have the same Mobo as you with DV
> Storm 2 too, but all SCSI HDDs.
>
> BTW was this an upgrade or a clean install of WinXP?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark
>

> Don Pickerel wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I noticed that I'm running v1.32, a pre-xp
version.
> > I've downloaded 1.43s.
> >
> > It says I have to uninstall the old driver first. If I do that, but
don't
> > restart, I still can't install the upgrade. If I do a restart, the old
> > driver is re-installed. Any hints?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Don-
> >
> > "Mark Morreau" <mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote in message

> > XP

> > time

> > two

> >>Did you install the IDE drivers for the chipset? You can download latest
> >>ones from Tyan or AMD site.
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>
> >>Mark

The difference between the two version would not explain anything.
FWIW, I never got them to upgrade once the other one was installed
either. That was under Win2K. If you have enabled DMA with the 1.32
drivers you should be good to go.

One thing is that the benchmark may not be the same when run under a
different O/S. The absolute value is not that significant. The cache
and other sytem functions are different in XP Pro.

The reported speed of the benchmark is not valid between two different
O/S's. It is possible the real speed is the same or even faster than
the benchmark speed.