matt

Hi folks - I hope this is the most suitable forum for this question.

I have a very small but incredibly annoying problem with my hardware setup
(arent they all?).

About three months ago, I bought a new 17" TFT monitor to hook up to my
laptop to act as a second monitor. This runs at 75Hz rather than the standard
60Hz as default for the primary monitor.

For the first few weeks I had no problems at all. Then, one day I had to
disconnect the laptop from the second monitor to use it in another room, and
since then every time I boot I have to manually go into Desktop -->
Properties and set the refresh rate back to 75Hz for the TFT monitor - my
system simply won't remember that the second monitor has the 75Hz rate, and
always uses 60Hz.

I could understand this if it had always been this way, but for it to
suddenly start doing I don't understand. Nothing on my system has changed, it
still has the same drivers, same setup, everything - hence my confusion.

Is there something I can adjust that should fix this, or does anyone know of
any third party software I can get (preferably freeware) that will fix the
problem once and for all.

TIA.

Matt

--
Common sense is not so common

pip22

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

leave the default setting as is and don't worry about it -- TFT monitors
use a different technology to display the image compared to traditional,
bulky CRT ones. TFT monitors don't need a particular refresh-rate to
eliminate flickering. On TFT monitors the refresh-rate setting makes no
difference. Flickering is caused by the monitor-tube 'scanning' or
refreshing vertically -- this only happens on CRT monitors.

--
pip22
pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394

matt

Well, good answer I guess - but I'd omitted to mention one thing in my
initial post.

Unless the TFT is on the higher refresh rate, the display is all shot to
hell - doesn't align properly on 1280x1024 res. As soon as it goes back to
75Hz, its fine, but unusable in 60Hz mode - the top of the page is on the
bottom of the screen, etc.

So, it HAS to run on the 75Hz setting at that res.

--

"pip22" wrote:

> leave the default setting as is and don't worry about it -- TFT monitors
> use a different technology to display the image compared to traditional,
> bulky CRT ones. TFT monitors don't need a particular refresh-rate to
> eliminate flickering. On TFT monitors the refresh-rate setting makes no
> difference. Flickering is caused by the monitor-tube 'scanning' or
> refreshing vertically -- this only happens on CRT monitors.
>

> --
> pip22
> pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394
> View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=76996

matt

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to a possible fix for this?

Is there any third party software that I can use to automatically adjust the
refresh rate, for example?

TIA

--

"Matt" wrote:

> Well, good answer I guess - but I'd omitted to mention one thing in my
> initial post.
>
> Unless the TFT is on the higher refresh rate, the display is all shot to
> hell - doesn't align properly on 1280x1024 res. As soon as it goes back to
> 75Hz, its fine, but unusable in 60Hz mode - the top of the page is on the
> bottom of the screen, etc.
>
> So, it HAS to run on the 75Hz setting at that res.
>

> --
> Common sense is not so common
>

> "pip22" wrote:
>

> > leave the default setting as is and don't worry about it -- TFT monitors
> > use a different technology to display the image compared to traditional,
> > bulky CRT ones. TFT monitors don't need a particular refresh-rate to
> > eliminate flickering. On TFT monitors the refresh-rate setting makes no
> > difference. Flickering is caused by the monitor-tube 'scanning' or
> > refreshing vertically -- this only happens on CRT monitors.
> >

> > --
> > pip22
> > pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394
> > View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=76996

If the monitor requires 75Hz to work then you would need to install the
".inf" file from the manufacturer installed so Windows won't try to use
the default 60hz that the rest of the graphics adapters and monitors
support.