How to RMA a S2460 with ATX meltdown

I have been very happy with the S2460- until I finally experienced the
dreaded ATX meltdown recently. I'd like to know if others have had
success getting an in-warranty RMA for this common problem or if there
are pitfalls in the process. I'm sure there have been quite a few ppl
in this position before expiration of the 3yr warranty.

TIA.
16 answers Last reply
More about s2460 meltdown
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Also wondering if anyone has had success RMAing PSU's damaged in these
    meltdowns or if we are sol? I lost an Antec True550. Both have 3 yr
    warranties, but I can just imagine the finger pointing/blame-game I'm
    going to get when I make the calls...

    Once again, thanks for your experiences/ideas.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    It depends where you live as to who you RMA it to. Tyan Europe in Germany
    provide a no quibbles RMA service for this although aren't helpful re PSUs.
    It is possible to buy replacement connectors/terminals to repair them
    though, here's one supplier in the UK
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Switches_and_Molex_66.html

    Good luck!

    Paul

    "Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message
    > Also wondering if anyone has had success RMAing PSU's damaged in these
    > meltdowns or if we are sol? I lost an Antec True550. Both have 3 yr
    > warranties, but I can just imagine the finger pointing/blame-game I'm
    > going to get when I make the calls...
    >
    > Once again, thanks for your experiences/ideas.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message
    > Also wondering if anyone has had success RMAing PSU's damaged in these
    > meltdowns or if we are sol? I lost an Antec True550. Both have 3 yr
    > warranties, but I can just imagine the finger pointing/blame-game I'm
    > going to get when I make the calls...
    >
    > Once again, thanks for your experiences/ideas.

    i just rmad an antec truepower 550watt via the retailer - ebuyer - the psu
    was just over a year old when it died [giving no power so mobo ok] it was
    collected from my home & replacement delivered,
    similarly my first s2460 died at 3 months old taking 1 cpu with it - both i
    had replaced by the retailer
    retailers don't have the same need to point fingers as manufacturers
    dr ratt
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Excuse my ignorance, but may I ask whether I should be worried about this
    problem with my S2466? What is it?

    Thanks...

    JL
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:49:15 -0400, "JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote:

    >Excuse my ignorance, but may I ask whether I should be worried about this
    >problem with my S2466? What is it?
    >
    >Thanks...
    >
    >JL

    No. It was fixed for MPX boards. Also the Thunder S2462 doesn't have
    the problem either due to the proprietary PSU. The S2460 ATX power
    configuration is not an approved solution by AMD. The S2466 is.

    http://students.washington.edu/vladis/atx_burn/
    http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=1cfd21099cbc53208d6d6e566559ffdc&threadid=35024&highlight=tiger+mp+atx+connector
    http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=127f61b1142c9f8daa4a308ada5e96e5&threadid=13703
    http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28746
    http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4457

    etc...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for the follow-up. Will give RMA a try.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    What does the Thunder S2462 ATX power configuration entail?. I just
    picked up one of these boards and was planning to use an Enermax
    EPS12v PSU with an ATX-GES convertor cable. Is that setup OK or am I
    looking at a meltdown problem?

    falcon

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:51:46 GMT, Curious George <CG@email.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:49:15 -0400, "JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Excuse my ignorance, but may I ask whether I should be worried about this
    >>problem with my S2466? What is it?
    >>
    >>Thanks...
    >>
    >>JL
    >>

    >No. It was fixed for MPX boards. Also the Thunder S2462 doesn't have
    >the problem either due to the proprietary PSU. The S2460 ATX power
    >configuration is not an approved solution by AMD. The S2466 is.
    >
    >http://students.washington.edu/vladis/atx_burn/
    >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=1cfd21099cbc53208d6d6e566559ffdc&threadid=35024&highlight=tiger+mp+atx+connector
    >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=127f61b1142c9f8daa4a308ada5e96e5&threadid=13703
    >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28746
    >http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4457
    >
    >etc...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    fakcon wrote:

    > What does the Thunder S2462 ATX power configuration entail?. I just
    > picked up one of these boards and was planning to use an Enermax
    > EPS12v PSU with an ATX-GES convertor cable. Is that setup OK or am I
    > looking at a meltdown problem?

    No meltdown problems with 2462, only 2460, cause it doesn't have an
    extra doodad, just the standard ATX connector. Too much flowing through
    too little. The 2462, on the other hand, has its handy ATX-GES
    connection, bypassing that problem?
    Where did you get your ATX-GES convertor from? I want one, but am having
    real difficulty tracking one down in Britain. Fancy buying an extra one
    and mailing it to me? I would, of course, reimburse you!

    Cheers

    Mark
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "fakcon" <Qmfaile@msn.com> wrote in message
    > What does the Thunder S2462 ATX power configuration entail?. I just
    > picked up one of these boards and was planning to use an Enermax
    > EPS12v PSU with an ATX-GES convertor cable. Is that setup OK or am I
    > looking at a meltdown problem?
    >
    > falcon

    iirc, the s2462 is the k7 thunder. this uses wtx format for power therefore
    you will need the cable to convert to wtx rather than the one mentioned
    http://www.baber.com/baber/products/power_supply_connectors.htm
    the one above the atxges on this ad is the cable needed
    [ad is 1st in google list, no idea how good the store is]
    dr ratt

    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:51:46 GMT, Curious George <CG@email.net> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:49:15 -0400, "JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Excuse my ignorance, but may I ask whether I should be worried about
    this
    > >>problem with my S2466? What is it?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks...
    > >>
    > >>JL
    > >>

    > >No. It was fixed for MPX boards. Also the Thunder S2462 doesn't have
    > >the problem either due to the proprietary PSU. The S2460 ATX power
    > >configuration is not an approved solution by AMD. The S2466 is.
    > >
    > >http://students.washington.edu/vladis/atx_burn/
    >
    >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=1cfd21099cbc53208d6d6e566559ffdc&th
    readid=35024&highlight=tiger+mp+atx+connector

    >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=127f61b1142c9f8daa4a308ada5e96e5&th
    readid=13703
    > >http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28746
    > >http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4457
    > >
    > >etc...

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    miles cobain wrote:
    > "fakcon" <Qmfaile@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What does the Thunder S2462 ATX power configuration entail?. I just
    >>picked up one of these boards and was planning to use an Enermax
    >>EPS12v PSU with an ATX-GES convertor cable. Is that setup OK or am I
    >>looking at a meltdown problem?
    >>
    >>falcon
    >

    > iirc, the s2462 is the k7 thunder. this uses wtx format for power therefore
    > you will need the cable to convert to wtx rather than the one mentioned
    > http://www.baber.com/baber/products/power_supply_connectors.htm
    > the one above the atxges on this ad is the cable needed
    > [ad is 1st in google list, no idea how good the store is]
    > dr ratt

    Dr Ratt, sorry, but I think you do not recall correctly. Yes, the s2462
    is the K7 thunder, but no, it takes an ATX-GES NOT WTX. Check the tyan site:
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/r_s2462.html
    All the recommended PSUs are ATX-GES.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Oh dear.

    I just bought an s2462 -- and everything needed for building it up.

    I was planning on using an atx psu -- with s2462 acceptable output
    ratings, and all -- and using 4 to 8, and 20 to 24 pin adapters.

    Anyone know if I can, in turn, adapt the atx to eps adapted psu to
    atxges?

    I know I can get the adapters, just don't know if this is "kosher", or
    whether the board will post.

    I'm trying to get all the adapters before the stuff arrives via mail
    order, and I need to test the board before the "as is" warrenty runs
    out. Don't have any sort of testing equipment -- just need to hook
    it up, and see if it posts.

    Regards,

    Bryan

    ==============
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Previously bhoover <bhoover@wecs-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > Oh dear.

    > I just bought an s2462 -- and everything needed for building it up.

    > I was planning on using an atx psu -- with s2462 acceptable output
    > ratings, and all -- and using 4 to 8, and 20 to 24 pin adapters.

    > Anyone know if I can, in turn, adapt the atx to eps adapted psu to
    > atxges?

    > I know I can get the adapters, just don't know if this is "kosher", or
    > whether the board will post.

    > I'm trying to get all the adapters before the stuff arrives via mail
    > order, and I need to test the board before the "as is" warrenty runs
    > out. Don't have any sort of testing equipment -- just need to hook
    > it up, and see if it posts.

    It is not quite that simple. 4->8 does not give you the power of
    8. Far from it. 20->24 is also a problem, the 20 only have one (!) 12V
    line, the 24 has 2 these. That is why you can make an EPS->ATX
    adapter, but not easily the other way round. EPS<->GES is more or less
    possible.

    Have a look at this image here:

    http://www.enermax.com.tw/851atxgesconnector.htm

    This is EPS to ATX GES by Enermax. The PSU is on the bottom.
    No real problem here. The following is EPS to ATX 12V:

    http://www.enermax.com.tw/851atx12vconnector.htm

    The details are in the manual available here:

    http://www.enermax.com.tw/download/EPS_12V_English.pdf

    Note that EPS has 4*12V in the extra connector and
    2*12V in the 24 pin connector. With an ATX12V you have
    2*12V in the 4 pin connector and a single 12V in the
    20 pin connector. So your are doubling the current load
    and hence put 4 times the termal load on the cables. and
    connectors on the ATX side. Not a good Idea! Soldering the
    connections would be a lot better but still problematic.

    I would say that you should at least use two additional
    individual 12V lines from the peripherial connectors.

    And why not het an EPS PSU or e.g. an Enermax 3in1 in the first
    place?

    Arno
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > It is not quite that simple. 4->8 does not give you the power of
    > 8. Far from it. 20->24 is also a problem, the 20 only have one (!) 12V
    > line, the 24 has 2 these. That is why you can make an EPS->ATX
    > adapter, but not easily the other way round. EPS<->GES is more or less
    > possible.

    Yeah, I figured the adapters would take care of all that, and go from there
    as long as it was backed by a strong, and stable enough power supply.

    > Have a look at this image here:
    >
    > http://www.enermax.com.tw/851atxgesconnector.htm
    >
    > This is EPS to ATX GES by Enermax. The PSU is on the bottom.
    > No real problem here. The following is EPS to ATX 12V:
    >
    > http://www.enermax.com.tw/851atx12vconnector.htm
    >
    > The details are in the manual available here:
    >
    > http://www.enermax.com.tw/download/EPS_12V_English.pdf
    >
    > Note that EPS has 4*12V in the extra connector and
    > 2*12V in the 24 pin connector. With an ATX12V you have
    > 2*12V in the 4 pin connector and a single 12V in the
    > 20 pin connector. So your are doubling the current load
    > and hence put 4 times the termal load on the cables. and
    > connectors on the ATX side. Not a good Idea! Soldering the
    > connections would be a lot better but still problematic.

    Poof!

    > I would say that you should at least use two additional
    > individual 12V lines from the peripherial connectors.

    Plus, Tyan said there's some extra signling or feedback the board gets from
    the atxges -- hopefully, if so, that's in the eps as well, or.....

    > And why not het an EPS PSU or e.g. an Enermax 3in1 in the first
    > place?

    it's covered in the Enermax supply.

    Because, funny you should mention Enermax. I bought one in the wee hours
    this morning after running across their line of supplies on a company out of
    Japan's site. That listing sold me on good power supplies -- plus the bad
    review I read about the one I had bought for 29 bucks -- it's 580w so may
    put it in my old atx. I searched for the best price, and came around to
    this nifty unit:

    http://store.yahoo.com/directron/eg465pvefm24p.html

    It's on the way to me as we speak. And I've got a new retail jones in terms
    of power supplies. These things are cool (pardon pun). Smooth, clean,
    stable power. Feel like Tim the tool man -- rawww, rawww, rawww (or
    something like that).

    Bryan

    --
    What is a poet? An unhappy man who hides deep anguish in his heart, but
    whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it

    http://www.wecs.com/content.htm

    This signature file is generated by Pick-a-Tag !
    Written by Jeroen van Vaarsel
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pick-a-tag
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Previously Bryan Hoover <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    [...]
    > Because, funny you should mention Enermax. I bought one in the wee hours
    > this morning after running across their line of supplies on a company out of
    > Japan's site. That listing sold me on good power supplies -- plus the bad
    > review I read about the one I had bought for 29 bucks -- it's 580w so may
    > put it in my old atx. I searched for the best price, and came around to
    > this nifty unit:

    > http://store.yahoo.com/directron/eg465pvefm24p.html

    > It's on the way to me as we speak. And I've got a new retail jones in terms
    > of power supplies. These things are cool (pardon pun). Smooth, clean,
    > stable power. Feel like Tim the tool man -- rawww, rawww, rawww (or
    > something like that).

    I have one of the above running in a dual-opteron. Well designed
    techology. Enermax seems generally pretty good. Not the most quiet,
    but in reviews they regularly outperform their maximum rating, while
    others fold sometimes as low as with 80% of max rating and are
    sometimes dead after this load.

    Arno
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Here is another good FAQ on ATX GES Conversion Cable.

    http://www.rackmount.com/Rackacc/ATXGES.htm
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2p65fcFgt45jU2@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Previously Bryan Hoover <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > http://store.yahoo.com/directron/eg465pvefm24p.html
    >
    > > It's on the way to me as we speak. And I've got a new retail jones in terms
    > > of power supplies. These things are cool (pardon pun). Smooth, clean,
    > > stable power. Feel like Tim the tool man -- rawww, rawww, rawww (or
    > > something like that).
    >
    > I have one of the above running in a dual-opteron. Well designed
    > techology. Enermax seems generally pretty good. Not the most quiet,
    > but in reviews they regularly outperform their maximum rating, while
    > others fold sometimes as low as with 80% of max rating and are
    > sometimes dead after this load.

    Ah-ooo-ah.

    I have not noticed that it is very noisy or anything. But that might
    be because the cpu fans I've got -- vantec -- are quite loud, very
    high rpm (rated at 6800rpm, and the Tyan board monitor (and the bios)
    was saying 7700 or there abouts!) 'til I grabbed a copy of SpeedFan
    and slowed 'em down.

    Adjusting the fan speed helps control case vibrations, hum, howelling,
    and all that according to your own personal accoustics tollorances
    shall we say. Of course, I realize temperature is the most important
    thing, but my fans were running so high, there was room to spare in
    that department -- I wasn't gaining all that much by letting them run
    fast.

    Temps are still not all that low, so I'd probably do well to get
    another case fan or two -- two in the back right now. Monitoring is
    showing the psu fan running around 1400 rpm. CPU's are around 42, and
    VRM1 is at 46 -- I wonder if that's too high. I thought it was kind
    of funny how VRM1 is placed right next to cpu0, seeing as how vrm1
    puts out a good measure of heat.

    So anyway, I got the s2462 up and running without a hitch. Again,
    though, probably need more cool.

    Bryan

    > Arno

Tyan ATX Motherboards Product