Tiger MPX S2466 unreliable at 266 MHz FSB

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 20, 2004 12:48:14 PM

Hi all,

I can't get my Tiger MPX S2466 to work reliably at 266 MHz FSB

Current Configuration:
- S2466 Motherboard, BIOS revision 1.05
- 2 x 512 GB Registered Infineon DDR Memory
- 2 x Athlon MP 2000+ CPU's & GlacialTech coolers
- 550 Watt QTec Gold power supply
- Compaq 64 MB nVidia TNT2 AGP Graphics Card
- 1 x Maxtor 40 GB & 2 x Hitachi 160 GB hard disks
- 1 x AOpen CD/RW drive

With the FSB set @ 200 MHz, the CPU's post as 1266 MHz and I can
install and run Windows 98SE, 2000 or XP just fine. If I set the FSB
to 266 MHz, the CPU's post correctly as 2000+ but none of the OS's run
reliably. Mostly, they fail to get through the startup sequence & the
machine just hangs. Sometimes Win 2000 will get to the desktop, but
usually only for a few seconds before blue screening. The PC will
boot into DOS ok, but DOS applications (Powerquest Drive Image or
Partition Magic) also report strange errors & crash. If I try to
install any of the OS's at 266 MHz FSB I get corrupt CAB file errors &
the installation fails. All the bits (CPU's, Memory, Graphics Card,
etc.) work perfectly in a S2460 motherboard at both 200 & 266 FSB
settings, so I suspect the S2466 board might be faulty, but I'm open
to any suggestions as to where else the problem might be.

Andrew
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2004 2:58:10 AM

"Andrew" <andrew@adwsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I can't get my Tiger MPX S2466 to work reliably at 266 MHz FSB
>
> Current Configuration:
> - S2466 Motherboard, BIOS revision 1.05
> - 2 x 512 GB Registered Infineon DDR Memory
> - 2 x Athlon MP 2000+ CPU's & GlacialTech coolers
> - 550 Watt QTec Gold power supply
> - Compaq 64 MB nVidia TNT2 AGP Graphics Card
> - 1 x Maxtor 40 GB & 2 x Hitachi 160 GB hard disks
> - 1 x AOpen CD/RW drive
>
> With the FSB set @ 200 MHz, the CPU's post as 1266 MHz and I can
> install and run Windows 98SE, 2000 or XP just fine. If I set the FSB
> to 266 MHz, the CPU's post correctly as 2000+ but none of the OS's run
> reliably. Mostly, they fail to get through the startup sequence & the
> machine just hangs. Sometimes Win 2000 will get to the desktop, but
> usually only for a few seconds before blue screening. The PC will
> boot into DOS ok, but DOS applications (Powerquest Drive Image or
> Partition Magic) also report strange errors & crash. If I try to
> install any of the OS's at 266 MHz FSB I get corrupt CAB file errors &
> the installation fails. All the bits (CPU's, Memory, Graphics Card,
> etc.) work perfectly in a S2460 motherboard at both 200 & 266 FSB
> settings, so I suspect the S2466 board might be faulty, but I'm open
> to any suggestions as to where else the problem might be.
>
> Andrew

my guess is the psu - a friend had one of those that failed , supplying
+12volts down all lines - that aside, the s2466 derives some power for the
cpus from the auxilliary connector, iirc whereas the s2460 just has plain
atx so a faulty aux. power connector would not show on the s2460
this is odd though as bsod almost always indicates a driver problem or
incorrect bios settings
also, the only time i've had cab file errors during install was when i had a
faulty ram stick - perhaps your ram isn't happy at 266
sorry to be so vague. anyway, a quality psu should be a high priority - tyan
support have always been prompt & helpful whenever i've asked anything, if
you need a brand recommendation.
dr ratt
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2004 7:58:54 PM

Download memtest86 and rule out the memory as the source of your
problem. Note that if the memory fails the test, that doesn't mean the
memory is to blame, it could be the power supply, CPU, motherboard, or other
issue. But at least you can confirm a hardware problem or rule out a memory
problem.

www.memtest.org

I recommend burning a bootable CD and keeping it handy at all times.

DS
June 28, 2004 7:25:28 AM

I've now replaced the power supply with a Tagan TG480-U01 480 Watt
PSU, but the problems persist. I took David's advice & downloaded the
latest version of MemTest86+ & have been running some tests over the
weekend. Before doing so, I cleared the BIOS (ver 1.05) to reset
everything to the defaults. I've got 3 different brands of memory
here, all 512MB DDR266 (PC2100) ECC Reg. At 200FSB, all the memory
works properly & passes all the MemTest tests. At 266FSB, none of it
works properly or passes the MemTest tests. During the tests I
noticed two oddities. All the memory sticks appear to fail at the
same place & with the same errors, although I'm no MemTest expert so
I'm unsure what this indicates. Also, If I set ECC on in the BIOS,
the board doesn't even POST. To cap it all, the same memory,
processors, etc work perfectly in a S2460 at both 200FSB & 266FSB. I
think I'm going to cut my losses & buy a GigaByte :¬)

BTW, the TG480-U01 is an excellent piece of kit, about 70 UKP, that
can supply up to 28A on the 12V rail & has lots of other nice
features, it's also incredibly quiet & has a 3 year warranty. A good
investment on my part, even though it didn't solve the problems :¬(
(http://www.tagan.com)

!