Tyan Tiger MPX S2466 & Athlon MP 2600+ Barton

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 9:47:55 PM

Hi everybody,

I just got two new CPUs for a Tiger MPX board (S2466N, not S2466N-4M)
because one of the old ones failed (don't want to mix CPUs).
I had expected these 2600+ to be Thoroughbred-Core (2133MHz, 256kB L2)
but they seem to be Barton core. (The boxed-package says 2000MHz and
512kB L2 and the writing on the CPU fits.)
Now I'm wondering if these CPUs will run on the board.
Tyan says up to Athlon MP 2600+ should run:
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/cpu_athlon_duron_opter...
Tiger MPX S2466 1GHz to 1.2GHz and 1500+ to 2800+ !

! Note: AMD Athlon MP 2800+ support applies to S2466N-4M version only,
S2466N has maximum of Athlon MP 2600+ support.

Does this refer to the Athlon MP 2600+ Thoroughbred?
On the other hand they offer some newer BIOS versions for this board:

05/27/04 2466N_105.ZIP

TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.05
New features and Fixes :
* Added Ignore Keyboard Error option

02/04/04 2466N_104.ZIP

TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.04
New features and Fixes :
* Updated CPU Micro Coding for Barton MP CPU's

05/07/03 2466N_103.ZIP

TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.03
New features and Fixes :
* Added MP 2400, 2600+ Support
* Added Single XP 2600+ Support
* Updated DMI String

So it looks like the board *does* support Barton - if it doesn't support
it electrically why bother with BIOS support?

Should I try to run the CPUs or should I give them back to the dealer?
They literally promised a 'Athlon MP 2600+ / 2,13 GHz' CPU so I probably
*could* give them back. But I need the new CPUs and I doubt that I can
get older steppings very easily.

André
June 25, 2004 9:47:56 PM

I am currently running dual MP 2800's on a S2466N. I flashed the V1.05
bios.

I do seem to be having a blue screen or two when I first boot up. I am
begining to believe it is the onboard NIC.

Anybody in the group have ideas?

I am running a Highpoint Raid controler, Dual 160's RAID 0, and a USB card