Cable modem, Router, Desktop and now Laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Routers
  • Modem
  • Desktops
  • Cable
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 1:04:43 AM

Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as the
desktop is concerned.
Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.

If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
fine with Internet and E-mail.

What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your answer
please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows XP Home
edition on both machines.

Thanks a lot

More about : cable modem router desktop laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 1:04:44 AM

Ritter197 wrote:
> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
> the desktop is concerned.
> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
> running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
> still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
>
> If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
> fine with Internet and E-mail.
>
> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.

Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If it's a
switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself a router...
then we have an entirely different situation here. I bring this up because
you mention a specific make and model for the computer, which probably won't
be the least bit relevant, but you don't mention the make or model number of
what you call the router, and you don't even mention the cablemodem.

Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says to me
that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't described in
detail, and that raises the probability that the problem will be found where
little or not attention was paid.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.htm...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 1:08:48 AM

Ritter197 wrote:

> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
> the desktop is concerned.
> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
> running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
> still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
>
> If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
> fine with Internet and E-mail.
>
> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.

If only one cable works, then the other one is defective. If only one
computer works at a time, using either cable, then there's likely a
configuration issue, perhaps duplicate computer names or IP addresses, if
static addresses are used. Without more details, it's hard to provide more
advice.
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 1:34:42 AM

Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know the
name but it is of recent origin.

The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working) the other
to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)

"Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
>> the desktop is concerned.
>> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
>> running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
>> still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
>>
>> If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all
>> is fine with Internet and E-mail.
>>
>> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
>> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
>> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.
>>

> Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If it's a
> switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself a router...
> then we have an entirely different situation here. I bring this up because
> you mention a specific make and model for the computer, which probably
> won't be the least bit relevant, but you don't mention the make or model
> number of what you call the router, and you don't even mention the
> cablemodem.
>
> Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says to me
> that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't described
> in detail, and that raises the probability that the problem will be found
> where little or not attention was paid.
>
> --
> Warren H.
>
> ==========
> Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
> employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
> Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
> coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
> response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
> to go outside now.
> What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
> http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.htm...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 12:37:16 PM

Ritter197 wrote:
> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
> the name but it is of recent origin.
>
> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
> plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
> the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)

Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured to
use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use a
proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....

> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as
>>> far as the desktop is concerned.
>>> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
>>> wire running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I
>>> gues must still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the
>>> Internet. If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop
>>> unit,
>>> all is fine with Internet and E-mail.
>>>
>>> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
>>> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
>>> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.
>>>

>> Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If
>> it's a switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself
>> a router... then we have an entirely different situation here. I
>> bring this up because you mention a specific make and model for the
>> computer, which probably won't be the least bit relevant, but you
>> don't mention the make or model number of what you call the router,
>> and you don't even mention the cablemodem.
>>
>> Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says
>> to me that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't
>> described in detail, and that raises the probability that the
>> problem will be found where little or not attention was paid.
>>
>> --
>> Warren H.
>>
>> ==========
>> Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
>> employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
>> Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
>> coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
>> response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
>> to go outside now.
>> What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
>> http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.htm...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 3:59:06 PM

Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables and
therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the Internet
that way.
I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then work.

"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
>> the name but it is of recent origin.
>>
>> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
>> plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
>> the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
>
> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured
> to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use
> a proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....
>

>> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If
>>> it's a switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself
>>> a router... then we have an entirely different situation here. I
>>> bring this up because you mention a specific make and model for the
>>> computer, which probably won't be the least bit relevant, but you
>>> don't mention the make or model number of what you call the router,
>>> and you don't even mention the cablemodem.
>>>
>>> Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says
>>> to me that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't
>>> described in detail, and that raises the probability that the
>>> problem will be found where little or not attention was paid.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Warren H.
>>>
>>> ==========
>>> Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
>>> employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
>>> Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
>>> coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
>>> response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
>>> to go outside now.
>>> What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
>>> http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.htm...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 4:54:09 PM

Ritter197@comcast.net wrote:
> I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
> dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables
> and therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the
> Internet that way.
> I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then
> work.

Makes sense!

> "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not
>>> know the name but it is of recent origin.
>>>
>>> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables
>>> are plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is
>>> working) the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
>>
>> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS
>> configured to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be
>> configured to use a proxy server that isn't available from home
>> (unless using VPN).....
>>>
>>> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 10:51:41 PM

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
| My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far
as the
| desktop is concerned.
| Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
wire
| running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues
must
| still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
|
| If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit,
all is
| fine with Internet and E-mail.
|
| What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
answer
| please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows
XP Home
| edition on both machines.
|
| Thanks a lot

Buy another cat 5 wire. Leave the old cat 5 hooked to the PC. Hook the
new
wire to the laptop. The old wire is hunting for the address of the PC
NIC not
the laptop NIC. This is a simple issue made complicated by semantics.
The
best bet would be to get a _knowledgable_ friend to help out.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 11:43:55 PM

The ends on a standard telephone cable are smaller than the RJ45 ends
on a networking cable. They won't "fit" into either the NIC or router
ethernet ports. It's much to small!

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:59:06 -0400, <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote:

>I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
>dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables and
>therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the Internet
>that way.
>I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then work.
>
>"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
>>> the name but it is of recent origin.
>>>
>>> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
>>> plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
>>> the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
>>
>> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured
>> to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use
>> a proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....
>>

>>> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 11:50:06 PM

easiest solution tell her to call 1-800-936-5700 that microsoft's hot
line and her issue will get resolved in 30 minutes

basically need to reset the winsock and thn configure the network card
and the LAN.

--
karanhcPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

They will "Fit" about as well as the CD drawer operates as a cupholder!

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> The ends on a standard telephone cable are smaller than the RJ45 ends
> on a networking cable. They won't "fit" into either the NIC or router
> ethernet ports. It's much to small!
>
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:59:06 -0400, <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
>>dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables and
>>therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the Internet
>>that way.
>>I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then
>>work.
>>
>>"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS
>>> configured
>>> to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to
>>> use
>>> a proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 1:22:06 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:51:41 -0400, "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

>"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>| My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far
>as the
>| desktop is concerned.
>| Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
>wire
>| running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues
>must
>| still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
>|
>| If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit,
>all is
>| fine with Internet and E-mail.
>|
>| What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
>answer
>| please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows
>XP Home
>| edition on both machines.
>|
>| Thanks a lot
>
>Buy another cat 5 wire. Leave the old cat 5 hooked to the PC. Hook the
>new
>wire to the laptop. The old wire is hunting for the address of the PC
>NIC not
>the laptop NIC. This is a simple issue made complicated by semantics.
>The
>best bet would be to get a _knowledgable_ friend to help out.

STOP! If this is your "good advice" please don't give out any more.

It makes no difference which computer you plug that single cable too.
Once you unplug it from the desktop, the router realizes it. When you
then plug it into the laptop, it queries the NIC, sees a different MAC
address, and realizes this is a different system. At that point it
issues a new IP address (assuming your router is acting as a DHCP
server).

Hopefully, you are not anybody's "knowledgeable" friend.
!