Cable modem, Router, Desktop and now Laptop

Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as the
desktop is concerned.
Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.

If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
fine with Internet and E-mail.

What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your answer
please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows XP Home
edition on both machines.

Thanks a lot
11 answers Last reply
More about cable modem router desktop laptop
  1. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
    > the desktop is concerned.
    > Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
    > running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
    > still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
    >
    > If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
    > fine with Internet and E-mail.
    >
    > What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    > answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
    > Windows XP Home edition on both machines.

    Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If it's a
    switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself a router...
    then we have an entirely different situation here. I bring this up because
    you mention a specific make and model for the computer, which probably won't
    be the least bit relevant, but you don't mention the make or model number of
    what you call the router, and you don't even mention the cablemodem.

    Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says to me
    that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't described in
    detail, and that raises the probability that the problem will be found where
    little or not attention was paid.

    --
    Warren H.

    ==========
    to go outside now.
    What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
    http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.html
  2. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ritter197 wrote:

    > My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
    > the desktop is concerned.
    > Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
    > running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
    > still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
    >
    > If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all is
    > fine with Internet and E-mail.
    >
    > What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    > answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
    > Windows XP Home edition on both machines.

    If only one cable works, then the other one is defective. If only one
    computer works at a time, using either cable, then there's likely a
    configuration issue, perhaps duplicate computer names or IP addresses, if
    static addresses are used. Without more details, it's hard to provide more
    advice.
  3. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know the
    name but it is of recent origin.

    The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
    plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working) the other
    to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)

    "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ritter197 wrote:
    >> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far as
    >> the desktop is concerned.
    >> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the wire
    >> running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues must
    >> still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
    >>
    >> If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit, all
    >> is fine with Internet and E-mail.
    >>
    >> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    >> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
    >> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.
    >>

    > Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If it's a
    > switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself a router...
    > then we have an entirely different situation here. I bring this up because
    > you mention a specific make and model for the computer, which probably
    > won't be the least bit relevant, but you don't mention the make or model
    > number of what you call the router, and you don't even mention the
    > cablemodem.
    >
    > Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says to me
    > that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't described
    > in detail, and that raises the probability that the problem will be found
    > where little or not attention was paid.
    >
    > --
    > Warren H.
    >
    > ==========
    > Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
    > employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
    > Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
    > coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
    > response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
    > to go outside now.
    > What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
    > http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.html

  4. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
    > the name but it is of recent origin.
    >
    > The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
    > plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
    > the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)

    Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured to
    use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use a
    proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....

    > "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Ritter197 wrote:
    >>> My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as
    >>> far as the desktop is concerned.
    >>> Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
    >>> wire running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I
    >>> gues must still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the
    >>> Internet. If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop
    >>> unit,
    >>> all is fine with Internet and E-mail.
    >>>
    >>> What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    >>> answer please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses
    >>> Windows XP Home edition on both machines.
    >>>

    >> Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If
    >> it's a switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself
    >> a router... then we have an entirely different situation here. I
    >> bring this up because you mention a specific make and model for the
    >> computer, which probably won't be the least bit relevant, but you
    >> don't mention the make or model number of what you call the router,
    >> and you don't even mention the cablemodem.
    >>
    >> Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says
    >> to me that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't
    >> described in detail, and that raises the probability that the
    >> problem will be found where little or not attention was paid.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Warren H.
    >>
    >> ==========
    >> Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
    >> employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
    >> Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
    >> coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
    >> response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
    >> to go outside now.
    >> What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
    >> http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.html
  5. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
    dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables and
    therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the Internet
    that way.
    I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then work.

    "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ritter197 wrote:
    >> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
    >> the name but it is of recent origin.
    >>
    >> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
    >> plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
    >> the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
    >
    > Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured
    > to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use
    > a proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....
    >

    >> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Are you sure it's a router that's connected to the cablemodem? If
    >>> it's a switch or a hub... or if you're calling the cablemodem itself
    >>> a router... then we have an entirely different situation here. I
    >>> bring this up because you mention a specific make and model for the
    >>> computer, which probably won't be the least bit relevant, but you
    >>> don't mention the make or model number of what you call the router,
    >>> and you don't even mention the cablemodem.
    >>>
    >>> Such inconsistency in details raise big red flags because that says
    >>> to me that no or little attention was paid to the parts that weren't
    >>> described in detail, and that raises the probability that the
    >>> problem will be found where little or not attention was paid.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Warren H.
    >>>
    >>> ==========
    >>> Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
    >>> employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
    >>> Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
    >>> coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
    >>> response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
    >>> to go outside now.
    >>> What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
    >>> http://www.holzemville.com/mall/television/fall2005.html

  6. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ritter197@comcast.net wrote:
    > I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
    > dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables
    > and therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the
    > Internet that way.
    > I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then
    > work.

    Makes sense!

    > "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Ritter197 wrote:
    >>> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not
    >>> know the name but it is of recent origin.
    >>>
    >>> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables
    >>> are plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is
    >>> working) the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
    >>
    >> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS
    >> configured to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be
    >> configured to use a proxy server that isn't available from home
    >> (unless using VPN).....
    >>>
    >>> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: cableinet.cable_modems,comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    | My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far
    as the
    | desktop is concerned.
    | Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
    wire
    | running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues
    must
    | still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
    |
    | If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit,
    all is
    | fine with Internet and E-mail.
    |
    | What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    answer
    | please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows
    XP Home
    | edition on both machines.
    |
    | Thanks a lot

    Buy another cat 5 wire. Leave the old cat 5 hooked to the PC. Hook the
    new
    wire to the laptop. The old wire is hunting for the address of the PC
    NIC not
    the laptop NIC. This is a simple issue made complicated by semantics.
    The
    best bet would be to get a _knowledgable_ friend to help out.

    The ends on a standard telephone cable are smaller than the RJ45 ends
    on a networking cable. They won't "fit" into either the NIC or router
    ethernet ports. It's much to small!

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:59:06 -0400, <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I called my daughter. The second cable came with the laptop and is for
    >dialup service. Its ends are of course similar to the ethernet cables and
    >therefore did fit. But I understand why she could not get to the Internet
    >that way.
    >I told her to buy to-day an ethernet (modem) cable and it should then work.
    >
    >"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Ritter197 wrote:
    >>> No, she definetely has both a cable modem and a Router. I do not know
    >>> the name but it is of recent origin.
    >>>
    >>> The output from the Cable modem goes into the Router and 2 cables are
    >>> plugged into the Router. One goes to the desktop, (all is working)
    >>> the other to the IBM T43 laptop (not working)
    >>
    >> Does the LED for both ports light up on the router? Is the OS configured
    >> to use TCP/IP? Is the laptop a "work" unit? It may be configured to use
    >> a proxy server that isn't available from home (unless using VPN).....
    >>

    >>> "Warren" <wholzem@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    easiest solution tell her to call 1-800-936-5700 that microsoft's hot
    line and her issue will get resolved in 30 minutes

    basically need to reset the winsock and thn configure the network card
    and the LAN.

    --
    karanhcPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    They will "Fit" about as well as the CD drawer operates as a cupholder!

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:51:41 -0400, "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

    >"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >| My daughter is using MYACTV in MD. and has all things working as far
    >as the
    >| desktop is concerned.
    >| Now she wants to hardwire hookup a new IBM T43 laptop. She has the
    >wire
    >| running from the Router into the IBM Laptop, but something, I gues
    >must
    >| still be set up, because it does not connect yet to the Internet.
    >|
    >| If she uses the very same wire from the Router to the Desktop unit,
    >all is
    >| fine with Internet and E-mail.
    >|
    >| What else does she need to do? She is a computer newbie so give your
    >answer
    >| please in terms that she can understand and follow. She uses Windows
    >XP Home
    >| edition on both machines.
    >|
    >| Thanks a lot
    >
    >Buy another cat 5 wire. Leave the old cat 5 hooked to the PC. Hook the
    >new
    >wire to the laptop. The old wire is hunting for the address of the PC
    >NIC not
    >the laptop NIC. This is a simple issue made complicated by semantics.
    >The
    >best bet would be to get a _knowledgable_ friend to help out.

    STOP! If this is your "good advice" please don't give out any more.

    It makes no difference which computer you plug that single cable too.
    Once you unplug it from the desktop, the router realizes it. When you
    then plug it into the laptop, it queries the NIC, sees a different MAC
    address, and realizes this is a different system. At that point it
    issues a new IP address (assuming your router is acting as a DHCP
    server).

    Hopefully, you are not anybody's "knowledgeable" friend.

Laptops Routers Modem Desktops Cable Windows XP