S1696(DLUA)Thunder2 question

I have the Tyan Thunder 2 (S1696DLUA)which came equipped with TWO 333 Mhz P2
CPU's.
A friend of mine gave me a pair of MATCHED 450 Mhz P2's and told me the
board would support them. I know this sounds pretty funny ( it does to me)
but I installed the CPU's and now the computer claims I am running at a
breakneck speed of 299 Mhz. Obviously this is a jumper issue, but the very
latest manual I could get my hot lil mitts on states that the highest jumper
setting was for "366 Mhz--CELERON ONLY"

The jumper settings look like this:

JP7 JP8 JP9 JP10
200mhz on on off on =1101
233mhz on off off on =1001
266mhz on on on off =1110
300mhz on off on off =1010
333mhz on on off off =1100
366mhz on off off off =1000 <<<---"Celeron only" (???)

My question is this.......do I dare try going to the NEXT logical conclusion
and set the jumpers to
450mhz off off off off =0000 and should I try flashing my
BIOS first to the latest rev before doing so?

It was a free mainboard and I am sure that "at the time of manufacture" it
was probably a rockin little system, but frankly it's just doing duty as
storage and for email and web surfing so that I dont have to put my NLE
workstation on the internet when it needs to be busy rendering.
I suppose I could just reinstall those 333's but I already have the 450's
installed right now and it would be great if I could at least get them to
operate faster than the CPU's that WERE in there previously.

Forgive me if this is an obvious newbie question. I AM a newbie when it
comes to mods and overclocking. I generally just buy the best hardware for
the intended purpose and leave it at that, but since this machine is only
acting as extra storage and "web/email" it might as well do it as fast as
possible.

Thanks for listening,
JeffH
Ch.S.

"jhaas84-at-comcast-dot-net"

Jeffery J. Haas wrote:

> I have the Tyan Thunder 2 (S1696DLUA)which came equipped with TWO 333
> Mhz P2 CPU's.
> A friend of mine gave me a pair of MATCHED 450 Mhz P2's and told me
> the board would support them. I know this sounds pretty funny ( it
> does to me) but I installed the CPU's and now the computer claims I am
> running at a breakneck speed of 299 Mhz. Obviously this is a jumper
> issue, but the very latest manual I could get my hot lil mitts on
> states that the highest jumper setting was for "366 Mhz--CELERON ONLY"
>
> The jumper settings look like this:
>
> JP7 JP8 JP9 JP10
> 200mhz on on off on =1101
> 233mhz on off off on =1001
> 266mhz on on on off =1110
> 300mhz on off on off =1010
> 333mhz on on off off =1100
> 366mhz on off off off =1000 <<<---"Celeron only"
> (???)
>
> My question is this.......do I dare try going to the NEXT logical
> conclusion and set the jumpers to
> 450mhz off off off off =0000 and should I try
> flashing my BIOS first to the latest rev before doing so?
>
> It was a free mainboard and I am sure that "at the time of
> manufacture" it was probably a rockin little system, but frankly it's
> just doing duty as storage and for email and web surfing so that I
> dont have to put my NLE workstation on the internet when it needs to
> be busy rendering. I suppose I could just reinstall those 333's but I
> already have the 450's installed right now and it would be great if I
> could at least get them to operate faster than the CPU's that WERE in
> there previously.
>
> Forgive me if this is an obvious newbie question. I AM a newbie when
> it comes to mods and overclocking. I generally just buy the best
> hardware for the intended purpose and leave it at that, but since this
> machine is only acting as extra storage and "web/email" it might as
> well do it as fast as possible.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> JeffH
> Ch.S.
>
> "jhaas84-at-comcast-dot-net"

I don't think the PII-450's will work in that board at their rated
frequency. It is possible to get processors to run at that speed in
there though. I had the 1696's little brother, the 1692, happily running
a couple of celeron 466's on slotkets at full speed. But the issue, as I
understand it anyway, is that the PII-450 requires a 100 MHz bus. Sadly,
the 1696 is based on the LX chipset and can only go to 66 MHz.

-Bill Asher