USB printer ports missing

I recently unplugged my samsung ml-1710 printer.

When I went to reinstall I got an error, don't remember error im afraid.

Now when I try to install any USB printers my machine cannot find any usb
printer ports.

When I look in devices I do not see usb printing supported??

I suspect it migh be usbprint.sys not loading right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks TIM
6 answers Last reply
More about printer ports missing

    a) Is the Print Spooler started?

    http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm

    b) Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other USB devices?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Tim D." <Tim D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently unplugged my samsung ml-1710 printer.
    >
    > When I went to reinstall I got an error, don't remember error im afraid.
    >
    > Now when I try to install any USB printers my machine cannot find any usb
    > printer ports.
    >
    > When I look in devices I do not see usb printing supported??
    >
    > I suspect it migh be usbprint.sys not loading right?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks TIM

    Cari thanks

    I am able to print to my epson stylus non usb printer, so I think yes to #1

    Yes usb on my wireless mouse and camera cradle both work fine

    I found it strange that in devices under usb, that usb for printers is
    missing??

    hope this helps TIM

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > a) Is the Print Spooler started?
    >
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
    >
    > b) Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other USB devices?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Tim D." <Tim D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently unplugged my samsung ml-1710 printer.
    > >
    > > When I went to reinstall I got an error, don't remember error im afraid.
    > >
    > > Now when I try to install any USB printers my machine cannot find any usb
    > > printer ports.
    > >
    > > When I look in devices I do not see usb printing supported??
    > >
    > > I suspect it migh be usbprint.sys not loading right?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks TIM

    Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the USB printer....

    The file you are missing should be part of the printer driver software.
    --

    > Cari thanks
    >
    > I am able to print to my epson stylus non usb printer, so I think yes to
    >
    > Yes usb on my wireless mouse and camera cradle both work fine
    >
    > I found it strange that in devices under usb, that usb for printers is
    > missing??
    >
    > hope this helps TIM
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> a) Is the Print Spooler started?
    >>
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
    >>
    >> b) Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other USB devices?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Tim D." <Tim D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I recently unplugged my samsung ml-1710 printer.
    >> >
    >> > When I went to reinstall I got an error, don't remember error im
    >> > afraid.
    >> >
    >> > Now when I try to install any USB printers my machine cannot find any
    >> > usb
    >> > printer ports.
    >> >
    >> > When I look in devices I do not see usb printing supported??
    >> >
    >> > I suspect it migh be usbprint.sys not loading right?
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks TIM

    Cari

    I tried it, it still comes back and says it can't find the usb ports??

    TIM

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the USB printer....
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
    >
    > The file you are missing should be part of the printer driver software.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Tim D." <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Cari thanks
    > >
    > > I am able to print to my epson stylus non usb printer, so I think yes to
    > >
    > > Yes usb on my wireless mouse and camera cradle both work fine
    > >
    > > I found it strange that in devices under usb, that usb for printers is
    > > missing??
    > >
    > > hope this helps TIM
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> a) Is the Print Spooler started?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
    > >>
    > >> b) Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other USB devices?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Tim D." <Tim D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Go into the Device Manager, and open the 'tree' of USB Controllers... right
    click on them and select Uninstall.

    Reboot the PC. XP should re-find and re-install the USB ports.
    --

    > Cari
    >
    > I tried it, it still comes back and says it can't find the usb ports??
    >
    > TIM
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the USB printer....
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
    >>
    >> The file you are missing should be part of the printer driver software.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Tim D." <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Cari thanks
    >> >
    >> > I am able to print to my epson stylus non usb printer, so I think yes
    >> >
    >> > Yes usb on my wireless mouse and camera cradle both work fine
    >> >
    >> > I found it strange that in devices under usb, that usb for printers is
    >> > missing??
    >> >
    >> > hope this helps TIM

    I had previously done this, But, I just did it all again.

    Same result, it installed all usb items EXCEPT the usb print port.

    And as a result it came back with not able to find port for the hp printer
    install.

    Sorry??

USB Printers Windows XP